Locking students out of XP

I'm taking over our small school's computer lab and I know there were
problems last year with kids making changes. How can I use Windows XP to
lock students out of making ANY changes, access the web, and access our
server based software? Thanks for any help!
4 answers Last reply
More about locking students

    You might try using Group Policy. Here is a link with
    details:

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/X
    P/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?
    url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-
    us/prda_dcm_vdxa.asp

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/group_policy_for_windows_xp_prof.htm
    }:~)

    Set them up as limited users. And if these are Pro machines, you can even
    lock things down even further with group policy (gpedit.msc).

    --
    Walter Clayton - MS MVP(WinXP)
    Associate Expert

    "Mr. Teach" <MrTeach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm taking over our small school's computer lab and I know there were
    > problems last year with kids making changes. How can I use Windows XP to
    > lock students out of making ANY changes, access the web, and access our
    > server based software? Thanks for any help!

    | "Mr. Teach" <MrTeach@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | wrote news:CEEE9B0C-8B05-41A7-A3B4-D46BA2428136@microsoft.com
    | I'm taking over our small school's computer lab and I know
    | there were problems last year with kids making changes. How
    | can I use Windows XP to lock students out of making ANY
    | changes, access the web, and access our server based software?
    | Thanks for any help!

    I am anything but an expert in Systems Administration. But here
    are some links to some documentation on a few aspects of the
    subject:

    LIMITING CHANGES TO DESKTOP CONFIGURATIONS USING
    THE MICROSOFT® INTELLIMIRROR® TECHNOLOGIES
    GROUP POLICY AND ACTIVE DIRECTORY

    - Microsoft Windows XP Professional Product Documentation:
    Resources about Group Policy and related technologies
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/gpe_resources.mspx

    - Microsoft Download Center:
    Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows Server 2003
    http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7821C32F-DA15-438D-8E48-45915CD2BC14&displaylang=en

    - Windows XP Professional Product Documentation:
    Security and administration (subsections)
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hs_security_administration.mspx

    - TechNet Home | Products & Technologies | Desktop Operating
    Systems | Windows XP Professional | Maintain:
    Using Software Restriction Policies to Protect Against
    Unauthorized Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/rstrplcy.mspx

    - TechNet Home | Products & Technologies
    Server Operating Systems | Windows Server 2003
    Management Services:
    Implementing Common Desktop Management Scenarios with the
    Group Policy Management Console
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/grouppolicy.asp

    - Microsoft Windows Server System
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    Getting Started | New Features | Overview of Features
    Features for File, Print, and Collaboration Services
    Active Directory
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/active_directory_feature.asp

    - You can find peer-to-peer support for Group Policy
    Management Technologies in the following newsgroup:

    Windows: Group Policy
    microsoft.public.windows.group_policy

    The following page has links you can click to access the
    newsgroup with your Web browser, or with a Network News Transfer
    Protocol (NNTP)-based newsreader such as Outlook Express.

    Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    Management Technologies Newsgroups
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/management/default.mspx

    - You can find peer-to-peer support for Active Directory
    Technologies in the following newsgroup:

    Windows Server Active Directory
    AKA: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory

    The following page has links you can click to access the
    newsgroup with your Web browser, or with a Network News Transfer
    Protocol (NNTP)-based newsreader such as Outlook Express.

    Windows XP Expert Zone Community Newsgroups
    Directory Services Newsgroups
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/directoryservices/default.mspx

    - And if you are not in an Active Directory environment, keep in
    mind that for a Windows XP Professional workgroup computer,
    only one local Group Policy object exists. As such, every policy
    set using the Group Policy console will effect every user of the
    computer, including the built-in Administrator.

    For more information about Group Policies and a Windows XP
    Professional stand-alone computer search the Windows XP
    Professional Help and Support Center for "Client operating
    systems" (with the quotes) and read the "Note" in the Full-text
    Search Match by that title.

    - And the easiest way to manage desktops in a non-Active
    Directory environment is to use poledit. For some information
    about poledit see the following Microsoft Documentation:

    Windows XP Professional Product Documentation
    Part II Desktop Management | Ch 5 Managing Desktops
    Managing Desktops Without Active Directory
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prda_dcm_godi.asp

    LIMITING ACCESS TO FILES AND FOLDERS USING NTFS PERMISSIONS

    - Windows XP Professional Product Documentation
    Part II Desktop Management
    Managing Files and Folders
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prde_ffs_rljk.asp

    - You can find file system specific FAQs, newsgroups, highlights,
    and more on the File Services Community Technology Center
    Web Page.

    Microsoft Windows Server System
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    Welcome to the File Services Community
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/fileservices/default.mspx

    - You can find peer-to-peer support for file system issues in the
    File Services Newsgroups. The following page has links you can
    click to access the newsgroup with your Web browser, or with a
    Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)-based newsreader such as
    Outlook Express.

    Microsoft Windows Server System
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    Newsgroups: File Services Newsgroups
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/fileservices/default.mspx

    RESTRICTING ACCESS TO YOUR INTERNET RESOURCES
    BY USING A PROXY SERVER, FAKE PROXY ADDRESS, AND
    GROUP POLICIES

    - The following page has links you can click to access Networking
    Technologies Newsgroups with your Web browser, or with a
    Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)-based newsreader
    such as Outlook Express.

    Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    Networking Technologies Newsgroups
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/networking/default.mspx

    Good Luck in your new Systems Administration position!

Microsoft Windows XP