Demote Windows NT 4.0 Primary Domain Controller

Hi,

Does somebody know how I could demote a Windows NT 4.0
Primary Domain controller to a member server?

Thanks a lot
With kind regards,
Ivan Van den Bossche

Simply put, you can't, controller/member server selection is made at the
time of os install. You can promote/demote to and from PDC/BDC (which is
done by promoting either this or another server to PDC) but not to a member
server. You can always promote another BDC to PDC, sync, take this one down
and reload it. However, I would always keep atleast 1 BDC. You just never
know !
Kraid

"Ivan Van den Bossche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:176601c426cf$3b1c1b40$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Does somebody know how I could demote a Windows NT 4.0
> Primary Domain controller to a member server?
>
> Thanks a lot
> With kind regards,
> Ivan Van den Bossche

You could use 3rd part product called Upromote.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Kraid" <kraid_N0_SpAm_@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Simply put, you can't, controller/member server selection is made at the
> time of os install. You can promote/demote to and from PDC/BDC (which is
> done by promoting either this or another server to PDC) but not to a
member
> server. You can always promote another BDC to PDC, sync, take this one
down
> and reload it. However, I would always keep atleast 1 BDC. You just never
> know !
> Kraid
>

> "Ivan Van den Bossche" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:176601c426cf$3b1c1b40$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does somebody know how I could demote a Windows NT 4.0
> > Primary Domain controller to a member server?
> >
> > Thanks a lot
> > With kind regards,
> > Ivan Van den Bossche

Hi,
PDC can not be demoted to member server. You wil have to
re-install the OS

Fawad