Router that prevent port access vs time

Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block www
access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port or by
the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs manually
pulling the plug.

Any thoughts?
4 answers Last reply
More about router prevent port access time

    About any today's router will make it for you as long as you set an ip
    address to each
    computer instead of using DHCP server of the router. That way, you will be
    able to block access to the net
    for a particular address at specified day and time.

    ouCde.5066$aB.4227@lakeread03...

    "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block
    > www access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port
    > or by the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs
    > manually pulling the plug.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    My Netear router has that feature and it's just a basic MR814.

    On Mon, 2 May 2005 20:46:32 -0700, "trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> had a
    flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

    >Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block www
    >access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port or by
    >the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs manually
    >pulling the plug.
    >
    >Any thoughts?

    The Belkin PreN router has that.

    On the Client IP filters setting page: ip, port range, tcp/udp/both,
    day of the week and time.

    Stephen

    In article <ouCde.5066$aB.4227@lakeread03>, trs80 says...
    > Is there a router product for home network that would allow one to block www
    > access by setting a time window of access for a particular cable port or by
    > the mac address? This to limit kids use of ww after hours vs manually
    > pulling the plug.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Belkin routers do exactly this. You can set access times for each
    service and use IP address.

    From router config help page of my Belkin F5D7632

    "Client IP filters

    The Router can be configured to restrict access to the Internet, e-mail
    or other network services at specific days and times. Restriction can
    be set for a single computer, a range of computers, or multiple
    computers. To restrict Internet access to a single computer for
    example, click "Add PC" enter the description and IP address range of
    the computer you wish to restrict access to in the "Client PC IP
    Address" fields. Next select the Service that you want to block by
    clicking on "Blocking". Click "OK" ". The computers at the IP address
    range you specified will now be blocked from Internet access. "

    "URL Blocking
    To configure the URL Blocking feature, specify the websites
    (www.somesite.com) and or keywords you want to filter on your network.
    Click "Apply" to activate the change. To complete this configuration,
    you will need to create or modify an access rule in the "Access
    Control" section. To modify an existing rule, click the "Edit" option
    next to the rule you want to modify. To create a new rule, click on the
    "Add PC" option. From the "Access Control Add PC" section check the
    option for "WWW with URL Blocking" in the Client PC Service table to
    filter out the websites and keywords specified."

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Homebuilt Hardware Routers Systems