NT trust to W2K Ad stopped working last Wednesday

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

My trust to two nt resource domains quit working last
week. Is there any body else that has the same problem?
I have been workink on this with MS and still no
resolution. Thanks in advance.

It's actually pretty common but there a number of
reasons the trusts quit working e.g., Cable, NIC,
routing, name resolution, or something blocking the
necessary netbios ports like a personal firewall ect.
ect. Can you give us more details of what symptoms
you are seeing and what you have tried unsuccessfully?

"Randy" <aubuchon007@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> My trust to two nt resource domains quit working last
> week. Is there any body else that has the same problem?
> I have been workink on this with MS and still no
> resolution. Thanks in advance.

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

With MS on the phone we broke the trust and recreated with
netdom. Netdom would not complete successfully. I do get
the W2k domain to trust the NT domain. When I try to map
from the w2k AD domain I get The trust relationship
between the Primary and the trusted domain failed. I get
admin alert messages (on w2k) saying message from NETLOGON
at"NT machine"

Failed to authenticate with \\W2k DC, a windows NT domain
Controller for W2k.

I just reset the "RestricAnonymous" on w2k DC's to 0.

Every thing is on the Lan on one net sharing the same Wins
server.

Everything pings out.

What error did you receive while attempting to use netdom?
Open a dos prompt immediately after unsuccessfully using
netdom to complete the trusts and run nbtstat -c and verify
the following netbios names are in the cache without conflict
domain names 1b, 1c and at least computer names 00, 20, 03
pertaining to the PDC/PDC emulator in the remote domain.

"Randy" <aubuchon007@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> With MS on the phone we broke the trust and recreated with
> netdom. Netdom would not complete successfully. I do get
> the W2k domain to trust the NT domain. When I try to map
> from the w2k AD domain I get The trust relationship
> between the Primary and the trusted domain failed. I get
> admin alert messages (on w2k) saying message from NETLOGON
> at"NT machine"
>
> Failed to authenticate with \\W2k DC, a windows NT domain
> Controller for W2k.
>
> I just reset the "RestricAnonymous" on w2k DC's to 0.
>
> Every thing is on the Lan on one net sharing the same Wins
> server.
>
> Everything pings out.

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

I ran the netdom command and it ran successfully this
time. I had all the netbios names in the cache. What
else can I check?

So your problem is intermittant or do you see current
5719s on the DCs in either domain?

"Randy" <aubuchonz@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> I ran the netdom command and it ran successfully this
> time. I had all the netbios names in the cache. What
> else can I check?

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

I see a couple on both domains on 4/15 which is when my
problem started. I am also getting allot of 3210's. The
problem does not seem intermittant. I am unable to map to
the trusting domain (NT domain). Yesterday I ran
nltest /sc_query:w2k from the nt domain and got an
error_access_denied. Status 5 0x5. thanks for the help.

Have you checked NTLM compatibility?

"Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I see a couple on both domains on 4/15 which is when my
> problem started. I am also getting allot of 3210's. The
> problem does not seem intermittant. I am unable to map to
> the trusting domain (NT domain). Yesterday I ran
> nltest /sc_query:w2k from the nt domain and got an
> error_access_denied. Status 5 0x5. thanks for the help.

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

I have knock down the AD DC's security policy to allow for
downlevel clients. What is the best way to check NTLM
compatibility?

Compare the following on the DCs in each domain:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\LMcompatibilityl
evel

"Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have knock down the AD DC's security policy to allow for
> downlevel clients. What is the best way to check NTLM
> compatibility?

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

It was set to 1 when I set it to 0 I can map from the
console. Do you know what AD policy controls that reg
setting?

Network security: Lan Manager authentication level

"Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It was set to 1 when I set it to 0 I can map from the
> console. Do you know what AD policy controls that reg
> setting?

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Its still not working do I need to break the trust and
recreate?

Yes. I would think the trusts were not properly established..

> Its still not working do I need to break the trust and
> recreate?

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Well late yesterday after a reboot and recreating the
trust with netdom, trust NT to W2k is working. It was the
Lan Manager Authentication Level. I had it set to send lm
and ntlm -use ntlmv2 session if negotiated. I set it down
to send LM & NTLM responses. I have had it set the latter
for a long time, I was suprised that it stopped working.
I run SUS and some security patches rolled out last week.
I think the patches must have change something with this
setting. With viruses taking advandage of security
vulnerabilities so quickly anymore. I hate to miss a
security update or have to uninstall the update. Have you
heard of any others having this problem? Thanks for your
help. I love this newsgroup.

No actually I haven't heard a whole lot regarding this particular
issue. I suppose it's possible the update may have reset the
NTLM parameters as a security measure..

"Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well late yesterday after a reboot and recreating the
> trust with netdom, trust NT to W2k is working. It was the
> Lan Manager Authentication Level. I had it set to send lm
> and ntlm -use ntlmv2 session if negotiated. I set it down
> to send LM & NTLM responses. I have had it set the latter
> for a long time, I was suprised that it stopped working.
> I run SUS and some security patches rolled out last week.
> I think the patches must have change something with this
> setting. With viruses taking advandage of security
> vulnerabilities so quickly anymore. I hate to miss a
> security update or have to uninstall the update. Have you
> heard of any others having this problem? Thanks for your
> help. I love this newsgroup.

i agree
Michael Giorgio - MS MVP <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:uqn7w98JEHA.3920@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Yes. I would think the trusts were not properly established..
>
> "Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Its still not working do I need to break the trust and
> > recreate?

TRENDING THREADS