I've got a PCI RAID1 setup running WindowsXP Pro. I'm wondering if it's
possible to use the primary IDE channel for disk storage? I'm using a Syba
PCI serial ATA host controller card, and a Soyo SY-P4I 845PE V1.0
motherboard running the latest BIOS version. Is this even possible, or am I
missing something.

Thanks,

MC

"ModeratelyConfused" <Null@void.com> wrote in message
> I've got a PCI RAID1 setup running WindowsXP Pro. I'm wondering if it's
> possible to use the primary IDE channel for disk storage? I'm using a
> Syba PCI serial ATA host controller card, and a Soyo SY-P4I 845PE V1.0
> motherboard running the latest BIOS version. Is this even possible, or am
> I missing something.
>
> Thanks,
>
> MC

I found out that it does the same with the third IDE channel to, it can't
find the NTDLR file. I've got to be doing something wrong. Anyone have a
solution?

> "ModeratelyConfused" <Null@void.com> wrote in message
>> I've got a PCI RAID1 setup running WindowsXP Pro. I'm wondering if it's
>> possible to use the primary IDE channel for disk storage? I'm using a
>> Syba PCI serial ATA host controller card, and a Soyo SY-P4I 845PE V1.0
>> motherboard running the latest BIOS version. Is this even possible, or
>> am I missing something.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> MC
>
> I found out that it does the same with the third IDE channel to, it can't
> find the NTDLR file. I've got to be doing something wrong. Anyone have a
> solution?

Not sure what's happening.

Are you saying that Win XP is installed on the drive attached to the PCI
RAID card and that your pc isn't booting and is displaying the message
"NTLDR" cannot be found?

If so, have you set your BIOS to boot from the PCI RAID card? Usually, that
means setting the first boot device to SCSI.

In any case, yes it's possible to use the primary IDE channel for storage if
you're booting from an add in RAID/IDE card.

"fj" <fjelenko2@att.net> wrote in message

> "ModeratelyConfused" <Null@void.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "ModeratelyConfused" <Null@void.com> wrote in message
>>> I've got a PCI RAID1 setup running WindowsXP Pro. I'm wondering if it's
>>> possible to use the primary IDE channel for disk storage? I'm using a
>>> Syba PCI serial ATA host controller card, and a Soyo SY-P4I 845PE V1.0
>>> motherboard running the latest BIOS version. Is this even possible, or
>>> am I missing something.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> MC
>>
>> I found out that it does the same with the third IDE channel to, it can't
>> find the NTDLR file. I've got to be doing something wrong. Anyone have
>> a solution?
>
> Not sure what's happening.
>
> Are you saying that Win XP is installed on the drive attached to the
> PCI RAID card and that your pc isn't booting and is displaying the message
> "NTLDR" cannot be found?

Yes, that only happened when I had the extra PATA drives attached. It
worked fine when I only had the PCI RAID card drives (main Windows
installation) in the computer.

> If so, have you set your BIOS to boot from the PCI RAID card? Usually,
> that means setting the first boot device to SCSI.

Thanks, I can't imagine how I missed something so blindingly obvious.
Previously, I had the boot order set to disable, so by default it went to
the PCI controller. I never thought to select SCSI. All works great now.

Thanks,

MC

TRENDING THREADS