NT4 domain, how to remove and replace with a 2K server?

I have a NT4 domain with one domain controller, the PDC I
assume although I'm not sure how to check.

How to go about adding a 2000 server to this domain, retain
the domain name and premote the 2000 server to being the DC
and then remove the NT box?

Really need some guidance please!

Regards
Ed

The easiest way would be to remove Win 2k from the new server and install NT
4.0 on it as a BDC while connected to your existing domain. The domain info
will be replicated to the new BDC automatically. Give it a temporary name
and IP address.
Then copy over all files and folders needed from the old DC to the new using
Scopy or robocopy from the resource kit to retain the permissions.
Once you get all the files to the new box, promote it to PDC. You can then
remove the "old " PDC (now BDC).
Keep it aside incase *something* goes wrong with the move to Win 2k you can
promote it to PDC and regain your domain.

Change the name and IP address on the new PDC to match the removed BDC and
reboot. The upgrade to Win 2k.
See:
How To: Upgrade Windows NT Server 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107

Once everything is stable consider adding the NT 4.0 BDC back to the Win 2k
domain and upgrading it to a Win 2k DC for redundancy.

DNS with Win 2k is different than DNS with NT 4.0. You MUST have a DNS
server for your AD domain. Not your ISP's DNS server.

See:

How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE