Crackling audio problems... where to begin?

I get sporadic crackles and pops during audio playback (WAV, MP3,
etc). The problem is not in the audio file because replaying the same
file will not result in an identical noise pattern. This is using
onboard audio of an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and
an Altec Lansing 251 5.1 speaker system. The problem appears to be
worse when the system has activity on other internal components such
as the DVD drive, but I haven't found a specific usage/noise pattern.

Where should I begin to troubleshoot and resolve this? FWIW, I
believe the audio drivers are up to date. I guess I'll throw some
cheap-o spare speakers on it to isolate whether it's the speaker
system or not. Other troubleshooting ideas would be welcome.

--
S. Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce)

Lacking inspiration? Need photo ideas? Once a week,
the Weekly Photo Muse: http://weeklypixmuse.blogspot.com/

try removing your audio card in device manager and let it reload the drivers
on reboot (assuming xp?) which are either corrupt or out of date......do you
have the right driver for the version of direct x for instance?

S. Whitmore wrote:

> I get sporadic crackles and pops during audio playback (WAV, MP3,
> etc). The problem is not in the audio file because replaying the same
> file will not result in an identical noise pattern. This is using
> onboard audio of an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and
> an Altec Lansing 251 5.1 speaker system. The problem appears to be
> worse when the system has activity on other internal components such
> as the DVD drive, but I haven't found a specific usage/noise pattern.
>
> Where should I begin to troubleshoot and resolve this? FWIW, I
> believe the audio drivers are up to date. I guess I'll throw some
> cheap-o spare speakers on it to isolate whether it's the speaker
> system or not. Other troubleshooting ideas would be welcome.

The problem you report sounds like it's electrical interference, and can
only be resolved with an add-in sound card. Onboard sound is usually pretty
cheap and can suffer from interference with other parts because of its
close proximity. Abit solves this with their Fatal1ty boards by puttin the
sound chip on a daughter card.

My suggestion, if you're not into buying expensive sound cards like
Creative, is to get a Turtle Beach or Hercules sound card and turn off
onboard sound in the BIOS.

jad

direct X
Drivers
Outside electrical interference...washer - dryer - ceiling fans- refridge
etc.

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> S. Whitmore wrote:
>
>> I get sporadic crackles and pops during audio playback
>> (WAV, MP3,
>> etc). The problem is not in the audio file because
>> replaying the same
>> file will not result in an identical noise pattern. This
>> is using
>> onboard audio of an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with an AMD Athlon
>> 64 3200+ and
>> an Altec Lansing 251 5.1 speaker system. The problem
>> appears to be
>> worse when the system has activity on other internal
>> components such
>> as the DVD drive, but I haven't found a specific
>> usage/noise pattern.
>>
>> Where should I begin to troubleshoot and resolve this?
>> FWIW, I
>> believe the audio drivers are up to date. I guess I'll
>> throw some
>> cheap-o spare speakers on it to isolate whether it's the
>> speaker
>> system or not. Other troubleshooting ideas would be
>> welcome.
>
> The problem you report sounds like it's electrical
> interference, and can
> only be resolved with an add-in sound card. Onboard sound
> is usually pretty
> cheap and can suffer from interference with other parts
> because of its
> close proximity. Abit solves this with their Fatal1ty
> boards by puttin the
> sound chip on a daughter card.
>
> My suggestion, if you're not into buying expensive sound
> cards like
> Creative, is to get a Turtle Beach or Hercules sound card
> and turn off
> onboard sound in the BIOS.

Or, if latency isn't a problem, an external USB sound card.
M-Audio was selling theirs at about half price a while back.
I picked one of those up. Got rid of the crackles.

There was a static/crackling problem with early releases of
Windows Media Player and some attendant patches from
Microsoft. Give the update site a scan before doing anything
rash.

IB

Select your cd rom in device manager, click properties, then settings.
Make sure the DMA and Sync boxes are checked.
John

S. Whitmore wrote:
> I get sporadic crackles and pops during audio playback (WAV, MP3,
> etc). The problem is not in the audio file because replaying the same
> file will not result in an identical noise pattern. This is using
> onboard audio of an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and
> an Altec Lansing 251 5.1 speaker system. The problem appears to be
> worse when the system has activity on other internal components such
> as the DVD drive, but I haven't found a specific usage/noise pattern.
>
> Where should I begin to troubleshoot and resolve this? FWIW, I
> believe the audio drivers are up to date. I guess I'll throw some
> cheap-o spare speakers on it to isolate whether it's the speaker
> system or not. Other troubleshooting ideas would be welcome.

On Wed, 04 May 2005 20:39:33 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants S. Whitmore
<usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote :

>I get sporadic crackles and pops during audio playback (WAV, MP3,
>etc). The problem is not in the audio file because replaying the same
>file will not result in an identical noise pattern. This is using
>onboard audio of an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe with an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and
>an Altec Lansing 251 5.1 speaker system. The problem appears to be
>worse when the system has activity on other internal components such
>as the DVD drive, but I haven't found a specific usage/noise pattern.
>
>Where should I begin to troubleshoot and resolve this? FWIW, I
>believe the audio drivers are up to date. I guess I'll throw some
>cheap-o spare speakers on it to isolate whether it's the speaker
>system or not. Other troubleshooting ideas would be welcome.

Start/run and type dxdiag and press the enter key.Under the Sound tab
move the hardware acceleration fader all the way to the left.If this
helps then you know the on board sound chip does not support hardware
acceleration.
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,