Domain and Workgroup membership

We have a no of workstations (XP SP1) that are members of a NT Domain. I
want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in case
the domain server goes down. Is it straightforward to set up an additional
user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new server
when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the other
without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?

Many thanks

Mike Saunders
3 answers Last reply
More about domain workgroup membership

    You are going about this wrong.

    > want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in case
    > the domain server goes down.

    A workstation can only be a "server" in the sense that it can serve files.
    It can not be *real* server because the Operating system is not a "server"
    Operating system. Without it running a *real* server OS only 10 concurrent
    users can connect, Users will not "log into the server" because it is not a
    domain controller.

    If you want redundancy in case your NT 4.0 PDC goes down, the way to do that
    would be to install NT 4.0 server on a second "box" as a BDC (backup Domain
    Controller) while connected to your existing network.

    Is it straightforward to set up an additional
    > user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
    server
    > when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the other
    > without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?

    This will not achieve what you are looking for.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Mike Saunders" <abuse@folleytech.co.uk> wrote in message
    > We have a no of workstations (XP SP1) that are members of a NT Domain. I
    > want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in case
    > the domain server goes down. Is it straightforward to set up an
    additional
    > user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
    server
    > when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the other
    > without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Mike Saunders

    Thanks but I think I am aware of the points you mention.

    The setup I am talking about is a small network (5 workstations) with no
    liklehood of ever getting close to 10. It is used as a data file server
    with no internet connection (security no problem). In fact I think it was
    overkill to have a domain installed in the first place. This server is
    ageing and I expect that a workgroup solution will be fine. I wanted to have
    a dual server setup so I could see how the system would run as a workgroup
    and have a fall back should the domain machine fail

    Thanks

    Mike Saunders

    "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
    > You are going about this wrong.

    > > want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in
    case
    > > the domain server goes down.
    >
    > A workstation can only be a "server" in the sense that it can serve files.
    > It can not be *real* server because the Operating system is not a "server"
    > Operating system. Without it running a *real* server OS only 10 concurrent
    > users can connect, Users will not "log into the server" because it is not
    > domain controller.
    >
    > If you want redundancy in case your NT 4.0 PDC goes down, the way to do
    that
    > would be to install NT 4.0 server on a second "box" as a BDC (backup
    Domain
    > Controller) while connected to your existing network.
    >

    > Is it straightforward to set up an additional
    > > user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
    > server
    > > when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the
    other
    > > without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?
    >
    > This will not achieve what you are looking for.
    >

    > hth
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >
    > "Mike Saunders" <abuse@folleytech.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > We have a no of workstations (XP SP1) that are members of a NT Domain.
    > > want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in
    case
    > > the domain server goes down. Is it straightforward to set up an
    > additional
    > > user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
    > server
    > > when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the
    other
    > > without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?
    > >
    > > Many thanks
    > >
    > > Mike Saunders

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I would suggest making it simpler. Either go with a domain and a backup
    domain controller, or get rid of the domain and set up 2 workgroup "servers"
    (each would have to have all other user accounts set up on it).

    If the domain controller were to fail and you don't have a backup DC, you
    would have to get rid of the domain and join the users to a workgroup. Users
    profile would change, access to files would be problematic.

    If the domain controller goes down and you have a BDC, you would keep the
    domain alive in the BDC.

    If you don't have a domain and the first workgroup "server" goes down, it is
    just a matter of making sure the files your users need are on the second
    "server" and mapping them to the correct folder.

    It is not a good Idea to backup the domain controller with a workgroup "
    server" because there is more work involved to switch than if you were to
    backup the domain controller with a backup domain controller or if you were
    to backup a workgroup server with a workgroup server.

    I would suggest getting rid of the domain now.

    > Thanks but I think I am aware of the points you mention.
    >
    > The setup I am talking about is a small network (5 workstations) with no
    > liklehood of ever getting close to 10. It is used as a data file server
    > with no internet connection (security no problem). In fact I think it was
    > overkill to have a domain installed in the first place. This server is
    > ageing and I expect that a workgroup solution will be fine. I wanted to
    have
    > a dual server setup so I could see how the system would run as a workgroup
    > and have a fall back should the domain machine fail
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike Saunders
    >

    > "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
    > > You are going about this wrong.

    > > > want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in
    > case
    > > > the domain server goes down.
    > >
    > > A workstation can only be a "server" in the sense that it can serve
    files.
    > > It can not be *real* server because the Operating system is not a
    "server"
    > > Operating system. Without it running a *real* server OS only 10
    concurrent
    > > users can connect, Users will not "log into the server" because it is
    not
    > > domain controller.
    > >
    > > If you want redundancy in case your NT 4.0 PDC goes down, the way to do
    > that
    > > would be to install NT 4.0 server on a second "box" as a BDC (backup
    > Domain
    > > Controller) while connected to your existing network.
    > >

    > > Is it straightforward to set up an additional
    > > > user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
    > > server
    > > > when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the
    > other
    > > > without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?
    > >
    > > This will not achieve what you are looking for.
    > >

    > > hth
    > > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    > >
    > > "Mike Saunders" <abuse@folleytech.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > We have a no of workstations (XP SP1) that are members of a NT Domain.
    > > > want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in
    > case
    > > > the domain server goes down. Is it straightforward to set up an
    > > additional
    > > > user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
    > > server
    > > > when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the
    > other
    > > > without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks
    > > >
    > > > Mike Saunders

Domain Workstations Servers Windows