Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Domain and Workgroup membership

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 11:29:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

We have a no of workstations (XP SP1) that are members of a NT Domain. I
want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in case
the domain server goes down. Is it straightforward to set up an additional
user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new server
when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the other
without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?

Many thanks

Mike Saunders
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 11:29:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

You are going about this wrong.

I
> want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in case
> the domain server goes down.

A workstation can only be a "server" in the sense that it can serve files.
It can not be *real* server because the Operating system is not a "server"
Operating system. Without it running a *real* server OS only 10 concurrent
users can connect, Users will not "log into the server" because it is not a
domain controller.

If you want redundancy in case your NT 4.0 PDC goes down, the way to do that
would be to install NT 4.0 server on a second "box" as a BDC (backup Domain
Controller) while connected to your existing network.


Is it straightforward to set up an additional
> user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
server
> when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the other
> without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?

This will not achieve what you are looking for.


hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Mike Saunders" <abuse@folleytech.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o kz0i6ULEHA.1612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> We have a no of workstations (XP SP1) that are members of a NT Domain. I
> want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in case
> the domain server goes down. Is it straightforward to set up an
additional
> user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
server
> when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the other
> without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mike Saunders
>
>
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 1:55:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Thanks but I think I am aware of the points you mention.

The setup I am talking about is a small network (5 workstations) with no
liklehood of ever getting close to 10. It is used as a data file server
with no internet connection (security no problem). In fact I think it was
overkill to have a domain installed in the first place. This server is
ageing and I expect that a workgroup solution will be fine. I wanted to have
a dual server setup so I could see how the system would run as a workgroup
and have a fall back should the domain machine fail

Thanks

Mike Saunders


"Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
news:%23HBf5eVLEHA.3052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> You are going about this wrong.
>
> I
> > want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in
case
> > the domain server goes down.
>
> A workstation can only be a "server" in the sense that it can serve files.
> It can not be *real* server because the Operating system is not a "server"
> Operating system. Without it running a *real* server OS only 10 concurrent
> users can connect, Users will not "log into the server" because it is not
a
> domain controller.
>
> If you want redundancy in case your NT 4.0 PDC goes down, the way to do
that
> would be to install NT 4.0 server on a second "box" as a BDC (backup
Domain
> Controller) while connected to your existing network.
>
>
> Is it straightforward to set up an additional
> > user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
> server
> > when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the
other
> > without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?
>
> This will not achieve what you are looking for.
>
>
> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
> "Mike Saunders" <abuse@folleytech.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o kz0i6ULEHA.1612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > We have a no of workstations (XP SP1) that are members of a NT Domain.
I
> > want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in
case
> > the domain server goes down. Is it straightforward to set up an
> additional
> > user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
> server
> > when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the
other
> > without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Mike Saunders
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 1:55:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

I would suggest making it simpler. Either go with a domain and a backup
domain controller, or get rid of the domain and set up 2 workgroup "servers"
(each would have to have all other user accounts set up on it).

If the domain controller were to fail and you don't have a backup DC, you
would have to get rid of the domain and join the users to a workgroup. Users
profile would change, access to files would be problematic.

If the domain controller goes down and you have a BDC, you would keep the
domain alive in the BDC.


If you don't have a domain and the first workgroup "server" goes down, it is
just a matter of making sure the files your users need are on the second
"server" and mapping them to the correct folder.


It is not a good Idea to backup the domain controller with a workgroup "
server" because there is more work involved to switch than if you were to
backup the domain controller with a backup domain controller or if you were
to backup a workgroup server with a workgroup server.

I would suggest getting rid of the domain now.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Mike Saunders" <abuse@folleytech.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o KWB%23LWLEHA.3852@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Thanks but I think I am aware of the points you mention.
>
> The setup I am talking about is a small network (5 workstations) with no
> liklehood of ever getting close to 10. It is used as a data file server
> with no internet connection (security no problem). In fact I think it was
> overkill to have a domain installed in the first place. This server is
> ageing and I expect that a workgroup solution will be fine. I wanted to
have
> a dual server setup so I could see how the system would run as a workgroup
> and have a fall back should the domain machine fail
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike Saunders
>
>
> "Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message
> news:%23HBf5eVLEHA.3052@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > You are going about this wrong.
> >
> > I
> > > want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in
> case
> > > the domain server goes down.
> >
> > A workstation can only be a "server" in the sense that it can serve
files.
> > It can not be *real* server because the Operating system is not a
"server"
> > Operating system. Without it running a *real* server OS only 10
concurrent
> > users can connect, Users will not "log into the server" because it is
not
> a
> > domain controller.
> >
> > If you want redundancy in case your NT 4.0 PDC goes down, the way to do
> that
> > would be to install NT 4.0 server on a second "box" as a BDC (backup
> Domain
> > Controller) while connected to your existing network.
> >
> >
> > Is it straightforward to set up an additional
> > > user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
> > server
> > > when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the
> other
> > > without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?
> >
> > This will not achieve what you are looking for.
> >
> >
> > hth
> > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
> >
> > "Mike Saunders" <abuse@folleytech.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:o kz0i6ULEHA.1612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > We have a no of workstations (XP SP1) that are members of a NT Domain.
> I
> > > want to use one of the workstations as a standby workgroup server in
> case
> > > the domain server goes down. Is it straightforward to set up an
> > additional
> > > user identity on each machine that can automatically point to the new
> > server
> > > when logging in in other words quickly change from one server to the
> other
> > > without a lot of reconfiguring Any issues I should know about?
> > >
> > > Many thanks
> > >
> > > Mike Saunders
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
!