Fan suggestions for AMD 64 Athlon 3200+...

The fan in my computer is sounding like death warmed over. I
suppose it is time to change it out for something better,
say with ball bearings.

I'm not an overclocker, so super cooling probably isn't
necessary, but quiet is.

Any suggestions on a fan for this CPU? TIA. Most
appreciated.

IB

> The fan in my computer is sounding like death warmed over. I
> suppose it is time to change it out for something better,
> say with ball bearings.
> I'm not an overclocker, so super cooling probably isn't
> necessary, but quiet is.
> Any suggestions on a fan for this CPU? TIA. Most

The fan that comes with retail Athlon 64 CPUs should
not be that loud. If it is, then it has a 3yr warranty and
should be replaced. Are you sure that you aren't mistaking
it for another noise such as a case fan, video card fan,
motherboard chipset fan, etc?

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

"KC Computers" <kc@kc-computers.com> wrote in message

>> The fan in my computer is sounding like death warmed
>> over. I suppose it is time to change it out for something
>> better, say with ball bearings.
>> I'm not an overclocker, so super cooling probably isn't
>> necessary, but quiet is.
>> Any suggestions on a fan for this CPU? TIA. Most
>
> The fan that comes with retail Athlon 64 CPUs should
> not be that loud. If it is, then it has a 3yr warranty
> and
> should be replaced. Are you sure that you aren't
> mistaking
> it for another noise such as a case fan, video card fan,
> motherboard chipset fan, etc?

I bought a refurb eMachines T6000, Kevin. That will never
happen again...<G>

You are right, though. I did assume it was the CPU fan
without checking.

The sound is like that of a cheap plain bearing fan that
I've heard years ago. It runs all of the time, even right
after start up, before anything has had a chance to heat up.
That is why I assumed it was the CPU fan.

I'll pop the cover off and give it a look. I was just trying
to save some time and a little disappointment by asking the
group what they would recommend in such an instance. I do
some amateur music recording and I need something quiet, but
effective. Thanks for the response.

IB

"Incredible Booms" <IncredibleBooms@yoohoo.com> wrote in message

> The sound is like that of a cheap plain bearing fan that
> I've heard years ago. It runs all of the time, even right
> after start up, before anything has had a chance to heat up.
> That is why I assumed it was the CPU fan.
>
> I'll pop the cover off and give it a look. I was just trying
> to save some time and a little disappointment by asking the
> group what they would recommend in such an instance. I do
> some amateur music recording and I need something quiet, but
> effective. Thanks for the response.

If your case fan is 92mm, and you want to replace it with a quiet unit
that will still move a lot of air, I strongly recommend the
Thermaltake A2013. Dead quiet and they actually move _more_ air than
a standard 92mm case fan! [Most quiet fans don't move much air.]

"Felger Carbon" <fmsfnf@jfoops.net> wrote in message
> "Incredible Booms" <IncredibleBooms@yoohoo.com> wrote in
> message
>>
>> The sound is like that of a cheap plain bearing fan that
>> I've heard years ago. It runs all of the time, even right
>> after start up, before anything has had a chance to heat
>> up.
>> That is why I assumed it was the CPU fan.
>>
>> I'll pop the cover off and give it a look. I was just
>> trying
>> to save some time and a little disappointment by asking
>> the
>> group what they would recommend in such an instance. I do
>> some amateur music recording and I need something quiet,
>> but
>> effective. Thanks for the response.
>
> If your case fan is 92mm, and you want to replace it with
> a quiet unit
> that will still move a lot of air, I strongly recommend
> the
> Thermaltake A2013. Dead quiet and they actually move
> _more_ air than
> a standard 92mm case fan! [Most quiet fans don't move
> much air.]

Thanks, Felgar.

How do you determine the dimension of a fan? Is it the disk
size of the fan, or the bolt to bolt dimension?

> How do you determine the dimension of a fan? Is it the disk
> size of the fan, or the bolt to bolt dimension?

It's the overall size; the size of the frame. The fan blades have to
clear the _inside_ of the frame.

> "Incredible Booms" <IncredibleBooms@yoohoo.com> wrote in
> message
>>
>> How do you determine the dimension of a fan? Is it the
>> disk
>> size of the fan, or the bolt to bolt dimension?
>
> It's the overall size; the size of the frame. The fan
> blades have to
> clear the _inside_ of the frame.

Oh well, I guess I ordered the wrong size. Maybe I can drill
new holes and put some tape around the edges to seal it up.
I used the bolt center to bolt center dimension.

I could swear that some of my fans are rectangular, which
throws a monkey wrench into everything.

Thanks for the reply.

> "Felger Carbon" <fmsfnf@jfoops.net> wrote in message
> > "Incredible Booms" <IncredibleBooms@yoohoo.com> wrote in
> > message
> >>
> >> How do you determine the dimension of a fan? Is it the
> >> disk
> >> size of the fan, or the bolt to bolt dimension?
> >
> > It's the overall size; the size of the frame. The fan
> > blades have to
> > clear the _inside_ of the frame.
>
> Oh well, I guess I ordered the wrong size. Maybe I can drill
> new holes and put some tape around the edges to seal it up.
> I used the bolt center to bolt center dimension.
>
> I could swear that some of my fans are rectangular, which
> throws a monkey wrench into everything.

Most fan frames _are_ rectangular, although some are round (but
uncommon). An 80mm fan is understood to be a square-frame (with
slightly rounded corners) measuring 80mm a side. The mounting holes
on mine measure ~72mm center-to-center, which is standard for an 80mm
fan.