local administrator

I have 2 users whose accounts are exactly the same except for their login name. One user is an administrator of the local machine and the other user isn't. I have logged in and explicitly added the person as an administrator of the machine, but they still cannot be an administrator of the machine. The same thing happens when they login to a different machine. Does anyone have any ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about local administrator

    Hi Mike,

    You'll need to give some more details in order for anyone
    to figure out what exactly is going on. What platform are
    you running e.g., NT, W2k, W2k3? What OS is running
    on the local machines? Can we assume the machine is
    connected to a domain? How exactly are you adding the
    user to the local "administrator" account?

    "mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have 2 users whose accounts are exactly the same except for their
    login name. One user is an administrator of the local machine and the
    other user isn't. I have logged in and explicitly added the person as
    an administrator of the machine, but they still cannot be an
    administrator of the machine. The same thing happens when they login to
    a different machine. Does anyone have any ideas?

    Sorry, for the lack of information. The domain is a NT 4. The OS on the PC is XP. Tried to manually add them in the user accounts on the local machine.

    Thanks
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    If you want to give the domain accounts local administrative
    access you'll need to add the domain accounts to local
    administrator group in computer management / local users
    and groups / groups.

    "mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message .
    > Sorry, for the lack of information. The domain is a NT 4. The OS on
    the PC is XP. Tried to manually add them in the user accounts on the
    local machine.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    So I would have to do this for every machine the user logs into?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Yes

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    > So I would have to do this for every machine the user logs into?

Domain Login Microsoft Windows