w2k client NT Domain

I'm having difficulty joining a W2K Client to a NT
domain. I've tried creating the account on the server as
well as removing it and tring to create on connection. It
is a clean W2K install, clients upgraded from NT 4 to W2k
have no problem joining the domain.

I'm using WINS and it appears to function fine. The
problem client can't ping or be pinged from the nework.
It is unable to find the pdc, I've tried using lmhost as
well as host files with no luck. The machine functions
fine as part my home workgroup which is a mix of ME, NT 4
and W2K. Something is missing on the setup, Any Ideas?
7 answers Last reply
More about client domain

    Something else is going on here. If you can't ping the client then you
    definitely won't join the domain. Is the ip address correct for this
    network? can you ping anything by ip addresses or by name at all?

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having difficulty joining a W2K Client to a NT
    > domain. I've tried creating the account on the server as
    > well as removing it and tring to create on connection. It
    > is a clean W2K install, clients upgraded from NT 4 to W2k
    > have no problem joining the domain.
    >
    > I'm using WINS and it appears to function fine. The
    > problem client can't ping or be pinged from the nework.
    > It is unable to find the pdc, I've tried using lmhost as
    > well as host files with no luck. The machine functions
    > fine as part my home workgroup which is a mix of ME, NT 4
    > and W2K. Something is missing on the setup, Any Ideas?

    I am unable to ping any network resource by name or ip
    address which is what I find bazaar especially when it
    will function in my home workgroup fine. The only ping
    working is the internal ping to 127.0.0.1 to test the
    functioning of the network card. I've tried different
    network cables and different network outlets

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Open a dos prompt on the W2k machine and run ipconfig /all
    and verify the machine is getting a valid tcp/ip address on the
    network.

    "paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am unable to ping any network resource by name or ip
    > address which is what I find bazaar especially when it
    > will function in my home workgroup fine. The only ping
    > working is the internal ping to 127.0.0.1 to test the
    > functioning of the network card. I've tried different
    > network cables and different network outlets
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    That is the problem, I am unable to communicate with any
    network resources, DHCP or WINS, therefore no ip address
    is being assigned to the laptop from the DHCP and no name
    resolution from WINS. I've also tried using a static
    address with no sucess.

    Something seems to be preventing communication to the
    network. No firewall on the laptop.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Sounds like a bad cable. You have checked the
    cable?
    "paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > That is the problem, I am unable to communicate with any
    > network resources, DHCP or WINS, therefore no ip address
    > is being assigned to the laptop from the DHCP and no name
    > resolution from WINS. I've also tried using a static
    > address with no sucess.
    >
    > Something seems to be preventing communication to the
    > network. No firewall on the laptop.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Tried a couple different cables as well as two different
    network outlets. Took a cable off a working workstation
    to make sure it was a good one.

    I'm begining to think something is wrong with the the
    network card even though it works with the home
    workgroup. Unfortunately I don't have a spare to repace
    it. I'm going to pick up another and try it out.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Have you swapped out the NIC?

    "paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:
    > That is the problem, I am unable to communicate with any
    > network resources, DHCP or WINS, therefore no ip address
    > is being assigned to the laptop from the DHCP and no name
    > resolution from WINS. I've also tried using a static
    > address with no sucess.
    >
    > Something seems to be preventing communication to the
    > network. No firewall on the laptop.

Domain Microsoft Windows