w2k client NT Domain

Paul

Splendid

I'm having difficulty joining a W2K Client to a NT
domain. I've tried creating the account on the server as
well as removing it and tring to create on connection. It
is a clean W2K install, clients upgraded from NT 4 to W2k
have no problem joining the domain.

I'm using WINS and it appears to function fine. The
problem client can't ping or be pinged from the nework.
It is unable to find the pdc, I've tried using lmhost as
well as host files with no luck. The machine functions
fine as part my home workgroup which is a mix of ME, NT 4
and W2K. Something is missing on the setup, Any Ideas?

Something else is going on here. If you can't ping the client then you
definitely won't join the domain. Is the ip address correct for this
network? can you ping anything by ip addresses or by name at all?

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having difficulty joining a W2K Client to a NT
> domain. I've tried creating the account on the server as
> well as removing it and tring to create on connection. It
> is a clean W2K install, clients upgraded from NT 4 to W2k
> have no problem joining the domain.
>
> I'm using WINS and it appears to function fine. The
> problem client can't ping or be pinged from the nework.
> It is unable to find the pdc, I've tried using lmhost as
> well as host files with no luck. The machine functions
> fine as part my home workgroup which is a mix of ME, NT 4
> and W2K. Something is missing on the setup, Any Ideas?

Paul

Splendid

I am unable to ping any network resource by name or ip
address which is what I find bazaar especially when it
will function in my home workgroup fine. The only ping
working is the internal ping to 127.0.0.1 to test the
functioning of the network card. I've tried different
network cables and different network outlets

Open a dos prompt on the W2k machine and run ipconfig /all
and verify the machine is getting a valid tcp/ip address on the
network.

"paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am unable to ping any network resource by name or ip
> address which is what I find bazaar especially when it
> will function in my home workgroup fine. The only ping
> working is the internal ping to 127.0.0.1 to test the
> functioning of the network card. I've tried different
> network cables and different network outlets

Paul

Splendid

That is the problem, I am unable to communicate with any
network resources, DHCP or WINS, therefore no ip address
is being assigned to the laptop from the DHCP and no name
resolution from WINS. I've also tried using a static
address with no sucess.

Something seems to be preventing communication to the
network. No firewall on the laptop.

Sounds like a bad cable. You have checked the
cable?
"paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> That is the problem, I am unable to communicate with any
> network resources, DHCP or WINS, therefore no ip address
> is being assigned to the laptop from the DHCP and no name
> resolution from WINS. I've also tried using a static
> address with no sucess.
>
> Something seems to be preventing communication to the
> network. No firewall on the laptop.

Paul

Splendid

Tried a couple different cables as well as two different
network outlets. Took a cable off a working workstation
to make sure it was a good one.

I'm begining to think something is wrong with the the
network card even though it works with the home
workgroup. Unfortunately I don't have a spare to repace
it. I'm going to pick up another and try it out.

Have you swapped out the NIC?