no domain

we are setting up an active dir. server win 2003, win 2000 and xp clients connect ok however win 98 clients do not. We are using static ip addresses, client for ms networks tcp/ip, we set up gateway to the server ip, dns set to server name as host with domain set as swfas.loal (our domain) also tried with out .local set workgroup to domain tried with and without .local any thoughtds?

If you across subnets Win98 boxes will need WINS to find the DC.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"john kearney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> we are setting up an active dir. server win 2003, win 2000 and xp clients
connect ok however win 98 clients do not. We are using static ip addresses,
client for ms networks tcp/ip, we set up gateway to the server ip, dns set
to server name as host with domain set as swfas.loal (our domain) also
tried with out .local set workgroup to domain tried with and without .local
any thoughtds?

Make sure netbios over tcp/ip is enabled on
the DC first. Then verify the clients can ping
the DC first by tcp/ip address then by name.
If either fails what is the error message?

"john kearney" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> we are setting up an active dir. server win 2003, win 2000 and xp
clients connect ok however win 98 clients do not. We are using static ip
addresses, client for ms networks tcp/ip, we set up gateway to the
server ip, dns set to server name as host with domain set as swfas.loal
(our domain) also tried with out .local set workgroup to domain tried
with and without .local any thoughtds?

I am able to ping both ip and name ok netbios over tcp/ip is enabled. I've attempted with and without .local on domain name attempted with without wins also with and without dns same

Dont the down level clients need an AD client installed for AD connectivity?