NT40 Server Manager

Mike

Splendid

I have a very large domain with NT 4.0 Servers as my PDC
and BDC's (14 Total). My clients are all Windows 2000
Professional systems. In ServerManager I am able to see
all of my systems but some of them are "greyed out" as if
turned off or disjoined from the domain. They are in fact
active and running. SMS and other Update software (SUS) do
not "see" these systems as they are greyed out. Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Server Manager is tied to network browsing. It basically gets it's list from
what you would see in network neighborhood. Do you have WINS running? It
will need to be in order for this list to be consistent. I would imagine
this list changes throughout the day depending on when these machines update
the WINS servers. Or is there are no WINS server you most likely will never
get this list complete if going across subnets.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Mike" <j.mike.dunson.ctr@pcola.med.navy.mil> wrote in message
> I have a very large domain with NT 4.0 Servers as my PDC
> and BDC's (14 Total). My clients are all Windows 2000
> Professional systems. In ServerManager I am able to see
> all of my systems but some of them are "greyed out" as if
> turned off or disjoined from the domain. They are in fact
> active and running. SMS and other Update software (SUS) do
> not "see" these systems as they are greyed out. Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

Well, since we are running NT 4.0 Servers we have to run
WINS. The WINS server shows the current registrations for
the machines with the correct node type as passed out by
DHCP (0x8 - Hybrid). I thought that it may have been a
node type issue but in fact it isn't. During off-peak
hours I backed up the WINS database and let the thing
rebuild itself. All the machines were remote restarted to
refresh the DNS and WINS cache .. sooo.. any other clues?

Mike

Your issue may not be WINS at all since it only helps browsing
by making available the netbios domain name 1b unique name for
domains which identifies the DMB or domain master browser.. The
domain master browser is responsible for enumerating the domain
wide list and also by default the SMB or segment master browser
which is responsible for gathering the local browse list and passing
it back to the DMB along with retrieving the domain wide list and
passing back to clients. Open a dos prompt on the problem
machines run net config server and verify the hidden field says no.
Next verify the server service is running. There are a few other
reasons why the names aren't appearing. A popular one is a
client on your domain forcing a browse election in an attempt to
become the SMB. Machines will register with this rogue SMB
and not show up in the domain wide list. A way to tell is do a
network capture on the problem machine and see exactly where
the host name announcements are going. This will tell you what
machine is acting as the SMB. You may have to wait more than
12 minutes since all machines register with the SMB during the
boot process and at increasing intervals leveling off at 12 minutes.

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, since we are running NT 4.0 Servers we have to run
> WINS. The WINS server shows the current registrations for
> the machines with the correct node type as passed out by
> DHCP (0x8 - Hybrid). I thought that it may have been a
> node type issue but in fact it isn't. During off-peak
> hours I backed up the WINS database and let the thing
> rebuild itself. All the machines were remote restarted to
> refresh the DNS and WINS cache .. sooo.. any other clues?
>
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

Possibility or a rogue has benn discussed, but does not
explain why the BROWSTAT STATUS shows the PDC for Master
and DomainMaster (correctly) on these systems. All of the
BDC's also resolve correctly on these clients NBTSTAT and
currently reside on the same segment as the PDC!

Mike Dunson

The PDC is always the master that is set in stone.. It's the
SMB or segment master browser in question here.. A client
won't register with the DMB it will register with an SMB. Did
you do a network capture and see exactly where the host name
announcement packets are going?