Professional or home?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been running a
copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home will I
notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and although I
do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.

Thanks!
Tracy
29 answers Last reply
More about professional home
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In news:e93sH0NfEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Tracy <tbrock@lcisp.com> typed:

    > What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't?

    XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in all respects,
    except that Professional has a few features (mostly related to
    networking and security) missing from Home. For most (but not
    all) home users, these features aren't needed, would never be
    used, and buying Professional instead of Home is a waste of
    money.
    For details go to

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
    connections, and Home only five.

    > I've been
    > running a copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I
    > switch to Home will I notice the difference?
    > I'm running a 6 computer
    > home network and although I do more than the "average" home
    > user, I'm
    > not running a buisiness.

    Note my last sentence above. That five concurrent network
    connection might hurt you.

    But why would you want to do this? There's nothing in Home that's
    not also in Professional.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Greetings --

    The two versions are _identical_ when it comes to performance,
    stability, and device driver and software application compatibility,
    but are intended to meet different functionality, networking,
    security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments. The most
    significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
    simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
    only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain while WinXP
    Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports file encryption and IIS.
    (Oh, and WinXP Pro usually costs roughly $100 USD more than WinXP
    Home.)

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Which Edition Is Right for You
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com> wrote in message
    > What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been
    running a
    > copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home
    will I
    > notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and
    although I
    > do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Tracy

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com> wrote in message
    > What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been running
    > copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home will
    > notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and although
    > do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Tracy

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    ---
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You did not have to pose this question in all those News groups!

    If you do not connect to a NT Domain or Active Directory then Home Edition will do you fine.

    If you want to use the WinXP platform to share files and printers, XP pro is better suited.

    Dave

    "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com> wrote in message news:e93sH0NfEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been running a
    | copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home will I
    | notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and although I
    | do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    |
    | Thanks!
    | Tracy

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Group Policy and networking.

    Networking features
    The following networking features are not included in Home Edition:
    The user interface for IPSecurity (IPSec)
    SNMP
    Simple TCP/IP services
    SAP Agent
    Client Service for NetWare
    Network Monitor
    Multiple Roaming feature

    Which Edition Is Right for You?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsXP/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition: What's the difference?
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:e93sH0NfEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Tracy <tbrock@lcisp.com> hunted and pecked:
    > What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been
    > running a copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I
    > switch to Home will I notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer
    > home network and although I do more than the "average" home user, I'm
    > not running a buisiness.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Tracy
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I'm a home user, and I find being able to allow certain users
    certain privileges (among other things,) is worth the extra money. And
    there are more than a few extra features:

    All my points can be confirmed at either
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp, or
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    1- Remote Desktop
    2- Joining a Domain
    3- File Encryption
    4- Advanced Security Settings: Only available to home users when in safe
    mode.
    5- Internet Information Services (I.E. Web server)
    6- Multilanguage User Interface*
    7- Multiple Processors
    8- Auto install, configure, repair, and removal of programs
    9- Offline Files and Folders
    10- Unattended Install
    11- Sysprep Tool
    12- Remote Install
    13- Group Policy
    14- Dynamic Disk support
    15 -Roaming Profiles (yes, I know that is for a domain, but the point is
    still there)
    16 -Local Security Policy

    *(applies to OL/VL versions of Pro)

    --
    Paul Cyr

    -----

    The Debate Continues... www.xvsxp.com

    Protect Yourself and Others in 6 Simple Steps...
    http://davechalkconnected.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1802
    -----

    "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com> wrote in message
    > What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been running
    > copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home will
    > notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and although
    > do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Tracy

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:22:18 -0700, "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com> wrote:

    >What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been running a
    >copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home will I
    >notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and although I
    >do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Tracy

    There are many kernel differences as far as I know.

    One major diff is that XP Home cannot join a Domain.

    Simply put, if price is not the critical element, you're better off
    with Pro.

    It is simply better.

    ---Atreju---
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 00:29:00 GMT, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Client Service for NetWare

    Although you can install the Novell Netware Client on Home, and it is
    always recommended anyway unless you just need a quick temporary
    connection.

    Most Netware and Netware-Enabled utilities such as HP JetDirect
    management and many others will only work with the latest Novell
    Client anyway.

    Just my $0.02

    ---Atreju---
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP
    pronetworks.org

    Tracy wrote:

    > What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been running a
    > copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home will I
    > notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and although I
    > do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Tracy

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Simply put: Home = less code = faster runtime.

    "Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:22:18 -0700, "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com> wrote:
    >
    > >What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been
    running a
    > >copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home will
    > >notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and although
    > >do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    > >
    > >Thanks!
    > >Tracy
    > >

    > There are many kernel differences as far as I know.
    >
    > One major diff is that XP Home cannot join a Domain.
    >
    > Simply put, if price is not the critical element, you're better off
    > with Pro.
    >
    > It is simply better.
    >

    > ---Atreju---
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In news:%233NuDTUfEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Nick Burns <thedoc@hotmail.com> typed:

    > Simply put: Home = less code = faster runtime.

    Not at all true. Their speeds are identical.

    How much code *exists* is irrelevant. What's significant is how
    much code you *execute*. If you don't use the extra features in
    Professional, you execute the same code and there's no difference
    in speed.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:22:18 -0700, "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've
    >> >been
    >> >running a copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if
    >> >switch to Home will I notice the difference? I'm running a 6
    >> >computer home network and although I do more than the
    >> >"average"
    >> >home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks!
    >> >Tracy
    >> >

    >> There are many kernel differences as far as I know.
    >>
    >> One major diff is that XP Home cannot join a Domain.
    >>
    >> Simply put, if price is not the critical element, you're
    >> better off
    >> with Pro.
    >>
    >> It is simply better.
    >>

    >> ---Atreju---
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In news:%235M18bQfEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    PCyr. <johndoe532004AThotmailDOTcom> typed:

    > I'm a home user, and I find being able to allow certain users
    > certain privileges (among other things,) is worth the extra
    > money. And there are more than a few extra features:

    If you find those extra features valuable, and they are worth the
    money to you, that's fine. I believe you and I certainly wouldn't
    want to try to convince you of anything to the contrary.

    Nevertheless, you're the exception. The vast majority of home
    users have no use for those extra features, and buying
    Professional instead of Home is simply a waste of money.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > All my points can be confirmed at either
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp,
    > or
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    >
    > 1- Remote Desktop
    > 2- Joining a Domain
    > 3- File Encryption
    > 4- Advanced Security Settings: Only available to home users
    > when in
    > safe mode.
    > 5- Internet Information Services (I.E. Web server)
    > 6- Multilanguage User Interface*
    > 7- Multiple Processors
    > 8- Auto install, configure, repair, and removal of programs
    > 9- Offline Files and Folders
    > 10- Unattended Install
    > 11- Sysprep Tool
    > 12- Remote Install
    > 13- Group Policy
    > 14- Dynamic Disk support
    > 15 -Roaming Profiles (yes, I know that is for a domain, but the
    > point
    > is still there)
    > 16 -Local Security Policy
    >
    > *(applies to OL/VL versions of Pro)
    >

    > "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com> wrote in message
    >> What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've
    >> been
    >> running a
    >> copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch
    >> to Home
    >> will I
    >> notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network
    >> and
    >> although I
    >> do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a
    >> buisiness.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Tracy
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Oh I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just letting the OP know that just
    because Home is the main choice for Home users, that doesn't mean there
    aren't features in Pro useful to a home user. :-)

    --
    Paul Cyr

    -----

    > In news:%235M18bQfEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > PCyr. <johndoe532004AThotmailDOTcom> typed:
    >
    >> I'm a home user, and I find being able to allow certain users
    >> certain privileges (among other things,) is worth the extra money. And
    >> there are more than a few extra features:
    >

    > If you find those extra features valuable, and they are worth the money to
    > you, that's fine. I believe you and I certainly wouldn't want to try to
    > convince you of anything to the contrary.
    >
    > Nevertheless, you're the exception. The vast majority of home users have
    > no use for those extra features, and buying Professional instead of Home
    > is simply a waste of money.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    >> All my points can be confirmed at either
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp, or
    >> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    >>
    >> 1- Remote Desktop
    >> 2- Joining a Domain
    >> 3- File Encryption
    >> 4- Advanced Security Settings: Only available to home users when in
    >> safe mode.
    >> 5- Internet Information Services (I.E. Web server)
    >> 6- Multilanguage User Interface*
    >> 7- Multiple Processors
    >> 8- Auto install, configure, repair, and removal of programs
    >> 9- Offline Files and Folders
    >> 10- Unattended Install
    >> 11- Sysprep Tool
    >> 12- Remote Install
    >> 13- Group Policy
    >> 14- Dynamic Disk support
    >> 15 -Roaming Profiles (yes, I know that is for a domain, but the point
    >> is still there)
    >> 16 -Local Security Policy
    >>
    >> *(applies to OL/VL versions of Pro)
    >>

    >> "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com> wrote in message
    >>> What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been
    >>> running a
    >>> copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home
    >>> will I
    >>> notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and
    >>> although I
    >>> do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> Tracy

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In news:Orhm4pWfEHA.3200@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    PCyr. <johndoe532004AThotmailDOTcom> typed:

    > Oh I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just letting the OP know
    > that
    > just because Home is the main choice for Home users, that
    > doesn't
    > mean there aren't features in Pro useful to a home user. :-)

    Great! Then we're in complete agreement.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    >> In news:%235M18bQfEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> PCyr. <johndoe532004AThotmailDOTcom> typed:
    >>
    >>> I'm a home user, and I find being able to allow certain users
    >>> certain privileges (among other things,) is worth the extra
    >>> money.
    >>> And there are more than a few extra features:
    >>

    >> If you find those extra features valuable, and they are worth
    >> the
    >> money to you, that's fine. I believe you and I certainly
    >> wouldn't
    >> want to try to convince you of anything to the contrary.
    >>
    >> Nevertheless, you're the exception. The vast majority of home
    >> users
    >> have no use for those extra features, and buying Professional
    >> instead of Home is simply a waste of money.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup
    >>

    >>> All my points can be confirmed at either
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp,
    >>> or
    >>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    >>>
    >>> 1- Remote Desktop
    >>> 2- Joining a Domain
    >>> 3- File Encryption
    >>> 4- Advanced Security Settings: Only available to home users
    >>> when in
    >>> safe mode.
    >>> 5- Internet Information Services (I.E. Web server)
    >>> 6- Multilanguage User Interface*
    >>> 7- Multiple Processors
    >>> 8- Auto install, configure, repair, and removal of programs
    >>> 9- Offline Files and Folders
    >>> 10- Unattended Install
    >>> 11- Sysprep Tool
    >>> 12- Remote Install
    >>> 13- Group Policy
    >>> 14- Dynamic Disk support
    >>> 15 -Roaming Profiles (yes, I know that is for a domain, but
    >>> the
    >>> point is still there)
    >>> 16 -Local Security Policy
    >>>
    >>> *(applies to OL/VL versions of Pro)
    >>>

    >>> "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 01:17:23 -0400, PCyr. wrote:

    > I'm a home user, and I find being able to allow certain users
    > certain privileges (among other things,) is worth the extra money. And
    > there are more than a few extra features:

    You forgot full support of ASR. Compare the price of a disaster recovery
    program to the price difference between XP Home and Pro. Granted ASR isn't
    the best/easiest solution but I consider it another point in Pro's favor.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    I've had both Home and Pro on the same machine and I don't see where Home
    was any faster.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%233NuDTUfEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Nick Burns <thedoc@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Simply put: Home = less code = faster runtime.
    >
    > "Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:22:18 -0700, "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been
    >>> running a copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I
    >>> switch to Home will I notice the difference? I'm running a 6
    >>> computer home network and although I do more than the "average"
    >>> home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> Tracy
    >>>

    >> There are many kernel differences as far as I know.
    >>
    >> One major diff is that XP Home cannot join a Domain.
    >>
    >> Simply put, if price is not the critical element, you're better off
    >> with Pro.
    >>
    >> It is simply better.
    >>

    >> ---Atreju---
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Yep.

    --
    Paul Cyr

    -----

    > In news:Orhm4pWfEHA.3200@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > PCyr. <johndoe532004AThotmailDOTcom> typed:
    >
    >> Oh I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just letting the OP know that
    >> just because Home is the main choice for Home users, that doesn't
    >> mean there aren't features in Pro useful to a home user. :-)
    >

    > Great! Then we're in complete agreement.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    >>> In news:%235M18bQfEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >>> PCyr. <johndoe532004AThotmailDOTcom> typed:

    >>> If you find those extra features valuable, and they are worth the
    >>> money to you, that's fine. I believe you and I certainly wouldn't
    >>> want to try to convince you of anything to the contrary.
    >>>
    >>> Nevertheless, you're the exception. The vast majority of home users
    >>> have no use for those extra features, and buying Professional
    >>> instead of Home is simply a waste of money.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the newsgroup

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    *smacks head*
    Thanks for the FYI!

    --
    Paul Cyr

    -----

    > On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 01:17:23 -0400, PCyr. wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a home user, and I find being able to allow certain users
    >> certain privileges (among other things,) is worth the extra money. And
    >> there are more than a few extra features:
    >
    > You forgot full support of ASR. Compare the price of a disaster recovery
    > program to the price difference between XP Home and Pro. Granted ASR isn't
    > the best/easiest solution but I consider it another point in Pro's favor.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Nick Burns wrote:
    > Simply put: Home = less code = faster runtime.

    What a complete load of bollocks.

    lose his marbles?
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Nonsense... Less code = Faster Runtime?!? And yes, I am in agreement with
    Miss Tick. :-) Sarah.

    --
    Best of luck!

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

    > Nick Burns wrote:
    > > Simply put: Home = less code = faster runtime.
    >

    > What a complete load of bollocks.
    >

    > --
    > My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
    > lose his marbles?

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Your expertise is overwhelming, Miss Prick. Is that your professional
    assessment?

    > Nick Burns wrote:
    > > Simply put: Home = less code = faster runtime.
    >

    > What a complete load of bollocks.

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 07:46:01 -0500, "Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Simply put: Home = less code = faster runtime.

    Not.

    SNIP

    ---Atreju---
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 08:57:31 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    >In news:%235M18bQfEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >PCyr. <johndoe532004AThotmailDOTcom> typed:
    >
    >> I'm a home user, and I find being able to allow certain users
    >> certain privileges (among other things,) is worth the extra
    >> money. And there are more than a few extra features:
    >

    >If you find those extra features valuable, and they are worth the
    >money to you, that's fine. I believe you and I certainly wouldn't
    >want to try to convince you of anything to the contrary.
    >
    >Nevertheless, you're the exception. The vast majority of home
    >users have no use for those extra features,

    And you are personally acquainted with the "vast majority" of home
    users? I happen to personally know about 100 home users who all demand
    Pro.

    > and buying
    >Professional instead of Home is simply a waste of money.

    Don't be so quick to be frugal on everyone else's behalf.

    ---Atreju---
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I don't think you can go from Pro to Home (although you can go the other
    way) without performing a complete install. Besides, Home is just a crippled
    version of Pro, and has way more bugs.

    "Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Simply put: Home = less code = faster runtime.
    >
    > "Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:22:18 -0700, "Tracy" <tbrock@lcisp.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been
    > running a
    > > >copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home
    will
    > > >notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and
    although
    > > >do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    > > >
    > > >Thanks!
    > > >Tracy
    > > >

    > > There are many kernel differences as far as I know.
    > >
    > > One major diff is that XP Home cannot join a Domain.
    > >
    > > Simply put, if price is not the critical element, you're better off
    > > with Pro.
    > >
    > > It is simply better.
    > >

    > > ---Atreju---

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    'Home' is not a crippled version of anything.. it includes all of the
    elements necessary for the 'home' user.. surprizing, eh?

    "Lightweight" <lightweight@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >I don't think you can go from Pro to Home (although you can go the other
    > way) without performing a complete install. Besides, Home is just a
    > crippled
    > version of Pro, and has way more bugs.
    >
    > "Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Simply put: Home = less code = faster runtime.
    >>
    >> "Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message

    >> running a
    > will
    > although

    >> > There are many kernel differences as far as I know.
    >> >
    >> > One major diff is that XP Home cannot join a Domain.
    >> >
    >> > Simply put, if price is not the critical element, you're better off
    >> > with Pro.
    >> >
    >> > It is simply better.
    >> >

    >> > ---Atreju---

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Mike H wrote:
    > 'Home' is not a crippled version of anything.. it includes all of the
    > elements necessary for the 'home' user.. surprizing, eh?

    doesn't SP2 eliminate the differences? In other words, no, it is
    not and never was all that was needed - e.g. for security! - RM

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    No.. SP2 does not eliminate the differences.. XP Pro continues to have more
    networking and security tools available to it than the Home version
    regardless of what service pack is installed.. SP2 upgrades the general
    security of whatever is present in the operating system.. the average home
    standalone does not need XP Pro installed unless the user wants or needs
    file encryption and passwording.. for the most part, Mr/Mrs Homeuser have
    enough problems understanding basic stuff..

    "Rick Merrill" <RickMerrill@comTHROW.net> wrote in message
    > Mike H wrote:
    >> 'Home' is not a crippled version of anything.. it includes all of the
    >> elements necessary for the 'home' user.. surprizing, eh?
    >
    > doesn't SP2 eliminate the differences? In other words, no, it is
    > not and never was all that was needed - e.g. for security! - RM

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    If you want to use Visual Studio.Net to create web projects, you need XP
    Professional, because XP Home doesn't come with IIS. That's the only reason
    I have to get it.

    Roy

    "Tracy" wrote:

    > What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been running a
    > copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home will I
    > notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and although I
    > do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Tracy

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    If you are already using Pro, you cannot downgrade to Home without a
    reinstall. If you insert a Home CD it will not let you install over Pro.
    Since you are networking, I suggest that you stay with Pro. Pro is better
    equipped for networking. Home is a subset of Pro.

    Note: The 5.1 means something like this: Windows for Workgroups was a
    Windows 3.x version. Windows 9x and NT were Windows 4.x versions. Windows
    2000 was a Windows 5.0 version. WinXP (all flavors) are Windows 5.1
    versions. Win 2003 is a Windows 5.2 version. Longhorn will probably be
    Windows 6.x, but I'm guessing. So, as you can see, both Home and Pro would
    be 5.1 (as well as Media Center and Tablet).
    "Roy Weiss" <Roy Weiss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If you want to use Visual Studio.Net to create web projects, you need XP
    > Professional, because XP Home doesn't come with IIS. That's the only
    > reason
    > I have to get it.
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > "Tracy" wrote:
    >
    >> What features does WindowsXP Pro have that home doesn't? I've been
    >> running a
    >> copy of Pro (version 5.1) since it was released, if I switch to Home will
    >> notice the difference? I'm running a 6 computer home network and although
    >> do more than the "average" home user, I'm not running a buisiness.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Tracy

Microsoft Customization Windows XP Product