Windows Hiccups

matt32

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
My computer has been recently experiencing hiccups during common use. The computer will freeze for about 1-2 seconds every ten to fifteen seconds. This isn't do to any high cpu use cause all im running is my browser. But i have no idea where the problem came from and i have no idea to how to fix it. Any suggestions would by highly appreciated.

I'm running a Sony Vaio VPCF1 Notebook

Processor: Intel i7 Q740 @ 1.73 Ghz
RAM: 4 Gb
64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Well the fact that you're using a laptop makes me think the issue may be overheating. If you're sitting the laptop on a cloth of some kind and not a hard surface, it could be that the components are overheating and causing system stalls.

Also, are you getting system stalls even without using a browser? Do you get them when just looking around in your My Documents folder? Or during any other operations like typing in Notepad?

matt32

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
The laptop is placed on a wooden desk and has sufficient room to breathe. It does get rather hot sometimes though. The stalls occur outside of the browser also. Things like typing in word and going through folders are effected. Songs sometimes pause and restart when i use WMP to play them.

I switched away from firefox when the hiccups first started thinking it was the browser. Chrome seems to do better under the conditions but it hiccups also.

matt32

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Recorded Temps:

Intel Core i7
Core 1: Avg: 120f Max: 129f
Core 2: Avg: 122f Max: 125f
Core 3: Avg: 123f Max: 127f
Core 4: Avg: 123f Max: 125f

Geforce Gt 330M:
Avg: 114f
Max: 123f

Highest recorded temp in computer 141.8 degrees Fahrenheit

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Trying booting the computer in safe mode, and then boot it in safe mode with networking. See if there are any issues while running in normal safe mode in comparison to with networking. There might be an issue with your NIC and the traffic coming in. If you run smoothly in safe mode then we can rule out critical system hardware devices.

matt32

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
The issues are still present in safe mode. It's almost worse then running windows normally. There's not much, if any noticeable difference between safe mode with and without networking.

matt32

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Also, watching videos seems to be unaffected. I have rather large movie files saved on a hard drive and i can watch them using VLC without any interruption.

Gh0stw4lker

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Matt,
I ran into a very similar problem. I use my laptop for work, and only using about 50% memory, and around 40% CPU, I was getting quick "hiccups" where my machine would pause for about a second out of every 15 or so.
I downloaded Process Explorer, and let it run for a bit. What I found was that about every 15-20 seconds, the Windows Search Indexer service was blipping red on my machine.
I went into the services, and disabled it and that appears to have cleared up the issue.
(Only problem is, now I can't search Outlook because the Indexer covers not only the OS, but Outlook as well.)

I believe that it's possible that that is what's happening to you, but at the very least I'd recommend downloading Process Explorer and taking a look.

Hope it helps!

granpa4075

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011