Wireless network for PC & Mac?

Hi.

I'd be grateful for some help. I have sucecssfully set up a wireles
network for myself using a Netgear DG834G,. The router/modem provides
ADSL access fo rmy main PC via ethernet and to a 2nd PC and a Centrino
laptop via wireless, and works flawlessly.

However, I have been asked to provide some advice for a friend and his
wife who have a PC and 2 Apple Mac laptops. I know almost nothing
about Macs and so need some help.

Is it possible to provided wireless Internet access for both PCs and
Macs from a single modem/router? I would envisage the PC connecting
via ethernet and teh laptops via wi-fi if this is possible.

Is it possible, and if it is can you provide me with examples of kit
that would do the job. Preferably this would be a modem/router combo
with an integrated firewall.

Thanks.

I did it using a Belkin router, which to my surprise worked flawlessly right
out of the box. I've also read on Apple sites that some Linksys routers work
just fine although Linksys doesn't mention the word Apple or support them
"h" < h@demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I'd be grateful for some help. I have sucecssfully set up a wireles
> network for myself using a Netgear DG834G,. The router/modem provides
> ADSL access fo rmy main PC via ethernet and to a 2nd PC and a Centrino
> laptop via wireless, and works flawlessly.
>
> However, I have been asked to provide some advice for a friend and his
> wife who have a PC and 2 Apple Mac laptops. I know almost nothing
> about Macs and so need some help.
>
> Is it possible to provided wireless Internet access for both PCs and
> Macs from a single modem/router? I would envisage the PC connecting
> via ethernet and teh laptops via wi-fi if this is possible.
>
> Is it possible, and if it is can you provide me with examples of kit
> that would do the job. Preferably this would be a modem/router combo
> with an integrated firewall.
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

Absolutely. My experience is limited, but I set up a wireless network on
a router a couple of years ago for home to have our laptop connect. Although
I wound up calling D-Link support several times to get laptop card running
correctly it eventually worked.
Last year I happened to bring an ibook home for the weekend from school,
which had an airport card installed. To my surprise the ibook connected
automatically while working on it in the kitchen. There was nothing to do it
just did it on its own. The OS running was X. You might have to do
additional configuration in 9.x.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net

h wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'd be grateful for some help. I have sucecssfully set up a wireles
> network for myself using a Netgear DG834G,. The router/modem provides
> ADSL access fo rmy main PC via ethernet and to a 2nd PC and a Centrino
> laptop via wireless, and works flawlessly.
>
> However, I have been asked to provide some advice for a friend and his
> wife who have a PC and 2 Apple Mac laptops. I know almost nothing
> about Macs and so need some help.
>
> Is it possible to provided wireless Internet access for both PCs and
> Macs from a single modem/router? I would envisage the PC connecting
> via ethernet and teh laptops via wi-fi if this is possible.
>
> Is it possible, and if it is can you provide me with examples of kit
> that would do the job. Preferably this would be a modem/router combo
> with an integrated firewall.
>
> Thanks.

Macs can use TCP/IP, just like Win and Lin systems. I've had macs
through my netgear routers without issue.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

In article <jeis7155ue9bpa790vhifidd7eb26dukqj@4ax.com>, h says...
> Hi.
>
> I'd be grateful for some help. I have sucecssfully set up a wireles
> network for myself using a Netgear DG834G,. The router/modem provides
> ADSL access fo rmy main PC via ethernet and to a 2nd PC and a Centrino
> laptop via wireless, and works flawlessly.
>
> However, I have been asked to provide some advice for a friend and his
> wife who have a PC and 2 Apple Mac laptops. I know almost nothing
> about Macs and so need some help.
>
> Is it possible to provided wireless Internet access for both PCs and
> Macs from a single modem/router? I would envisage the PC connecting
> via ethernet and teh laptops via wi-fi if this is possible.
>
> Is it possible, and if it is can you provide me with examples of kit
> that would do the job. Preferably this would be a modem/router combo
> with an integrated firewall.

Mac OS X comes with a utility already installed which finds network
devices and automagically sets it all up. The app has even been ported
to Windows.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bonjour/

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.