Internal USB flash card reader problem

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 8, 2005 6:08:44 PM

Sometime in the last month or 6 weeks (I didn't notice exactly when it
happened) I lost the function of my internal USB flash 9-1 card reader.
Windows sort-of recognizes that it's there, and if I unplug it and replug
in the USB cable, I can hear and see it trying to recognize it. The unit
itself is OK, since I can plug it into another computer and it works
perfectly. Another wrinkle is that I can plug in a SANDisk external USB
flash compact flash card reader (single card type of device) and it sees
this device just fine.

I tried another internal flash card reader and it does the same thing... so
at least it's being consistent. In the Device Manager I can see the items
in the Human Interface Devices section (HID-compliant consumer control
device). Even with a flash card inserted, there's nothing in the My
Computer / Removal Storage area (or anywhere else). I've installed any
drivers, but it doesn't make any difference. I also tried removing a number
of other USB devices to see if that would make a difference, in case of a
conflict... so far nothing works. There's a long stretch of unused drive
letters from E through L for the item to use (it used to show 4 separate
drive letters).

I assume that I installed something that's hosed this device... but I don't
have a clue as to what it could be.

Here's my system:
Asus A7N8XE Deluxe (BIOS 1013) with AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and 1 gig RAM.
ATI Radeon X800pro video card
1 Seagate 200gig SATA hard-drive
1 Maxtor OneTouch II external hard-drive via firewire connection
1 Sony DRU 720A DVD-RW player

I have all the current nVidia motherboard drivers and ATI video drivers
installed. Everything else is working just fine.

Thanks.

Sam
--
To email me, please get rid of the BS first
May 9, 2005 3:30:38 AM

Sometime on, or about Sun, 8 May 2005 14:08:44 -0700, Sam wrote:

> Sometime in the last month or 6 weeks (I didn't notice exactly when it
> happened) I lost the function of my internal USB flash 9-1 card reader.
> Windows sort-of recognizes that it's there, and if I unplug it and replug
> in the USB cable, I can hear and see it trying to recognize it. The unit
> itself is OK, since I can plug it into another computer and it works
> perfectly. Another wrinkle is that I can plug in a SANDisk external USB
> flash compact flash card reader (single card type of device) and it sees
> this device just fine.
>
> I tried another internal flash card reader and it does the same thing... so
> at least it's being consistent. In the Device Manager I can see the items
> in the Human Interface Devices section (HID-compliant consumer control
> device). Even with a flash card inserted, there's nothing in the My
> Computer / Removal Storage area (or anywhere else). I've installed any
> drivers, but it doesn't make any difference. I also tried removing a number
> of other USB devices to see if that would make a difference, in case of a
> conflict... so far nothing works. There's a long stretch of unused drive
> letters from E through L for the item to use (it used to show 4 separate
> drive letters).
>
> I assume that I installed something that's hosed this device... but I don't
> have a clue as to what it could be.
>
> Here's my system:
> Asus A7N8XE Deluxe (BIOS 1013) with AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and 1 gig RAM.
> ATI Radeon X800pro video card
> 1 Seagate 200gig SATA hard-drive
> 1 Maxtor OneTouch II external hard-drive via firewire connection
> 1 Sony DRU 720A DVD-RW player
>
> I have all the current nVidia motherboard drivers and ATI video drivers
> installed. Everything else is working just fine.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sam

I figured this one out finally! I noticed a USB driver called USBHS DFU
Adapter. I wasn't sure what it was so I did a web search for it. I located
an article that said that a update to this driver had hosed his flash card
reader. I rolled it back to the native Windows driver and guess what?
Everything works now.

The bad driver is: "USBHS DFU Adapter SCM Microsystems Inc. usb software
update released on February 18 2005". Not sure where this update came from,
but it's gone now.

Sam
--
To email me, please get rid of the BS first
!