Internal USB flash card reader problem

Sometime in the last month or 6 weeks (I didn't notice exactly when it
happened) I lost the function of my internal USB flash 9-1 card reader.
Windows sort-of recognizes that it's there, and if I unplug it and replug
in the USB cable, I can hear and see it trying to recognize it. The unit
itself is OK, since I can plug it into another computer and it works
perfectly. Another wrinkle is that I can plug in a SANDisk external USB
flash compact flash card reader (single card type of device) and it sees
this device just fine.

I tried another internal flash card reader and it does the same thing... so
at least it's being consistent. In the Device Manager I can see the items
in the Human Interface Devices section (HID-compliant consumer control
device). Even with a flash card inserted, there's nothing in the My
Computer / Removal Storage area (or anywhere else). I've installed any
drivers, but it doesn't make any difference. I also tried removing a number
of other USB devices to see if that would make a difference, in case of a
conflict... so far nothing works. There's a long stretch of unused drive
letters from E through L for the item to use (it used to show 4 separate
drive letters).

I assume that I installed something that's hosed this device... but I don't
have a clue as to what it could be.

Here's my system:
Asus A7N8XE Deluxe (BIOS 1013) with AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and 1 gig RAM.
ATI Radeon X800pro video card
1 Seagate 200gig SATA hard-drive
1 Maxtor OneTouch II external hard-drive via firewire connection
1 Sony DRU 720A DVD-RW player

I have all the current nVidia motherboard drivers and ATI video drivers
installed. Everything else is working just fine.

Thanks.

Sam
--
To email me, please get rid of the BS first
1 answer Last reply

    Sometime on, or about Sun, 8 May 2005 14:08:44 -0700, Sam wrote:

    > Sometime in the last month or 6 weeks (I didn't notice exactly when it
    > happened) I lost the function of my internal USB flash 9-1 card reader.
    > Windows sort-of recognizes that it's there, and if I unplug it and replug
    > in the USB cable, I can hear and see it trying to recognize it. The unit
    > itself is OK, since I can plug it into another computer and it works
    > perfectly. Another wrinkle is that I can plug in a SANDisk external USB
    > flash compact flash card reader (single card type of device) and it sees
    > this device just fine.
    >
    > I tried another internal flash card reader and it does the same thing... so
    > at least it's being consistent. In the Device Manager I can see the items
    > in the Human Interface Devices section (HID-compliant consumer control
    > device). Even with a flash card inserted, there's nothing in the My
    > Computer / Removal Storage area (or anywhere else). I've installed any
    > drivers, but it doesn't make any difference. I also tried removing a number
    > of other USB devices to see if that would make a difference, in case of a
    > conflict... so far nothing works. There's a long stretch of unused drive
    > letters from E through L for the item to use (it used to show 4 separate
    > drive letters).
    >
    > I assume that I installed something that's hosed this device... but I don't
    > have a clue as to what it could be.
    >
    > Here's my system:
    > Asus A7N8XE Deluxe (BIOS 1013) with AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and 1 gig RAM.
    > ATI Radeon X800pro video card
    > 1 Seagate 200gig SATA hard-drive
    > 1 Maxtor OneTouch II external hard-drive via firewire connection
    > 1 Sony DRU 720A DVD-RW player
    >
    > I have all the current nVidia motherboard drivers and ATI video drivers
    > installed. Everything else is working just fine.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Sam

    I figured this one out finally! I noticed a USB driver called USBHS DFU
    Adapter. I wasn't sure what it was so I did a web search for it. I located
    an article that said that a update to this driver had hosed his flash card
    reader. I rolled it back to the native Windows driver and guess what?
    Everything works now.

    The bad driver is: "USBHS DFU Adapter SCM Microsystems Inc. usb software
    update released on February 18 2005". Not sure where this update came from,
    but it's gone now.

    Sam
    --
    To email me, please get rid of the BS first

Homebuilt Systems