Frugal PVR nvidia/ATI card(s) compatible w/ linux?

Is there a decent video card with PVR that isn't too weak for gaming and
will not have problems in Linux? (I don't expect to run the TV in linux,
just use the normal video). I only want to spend <$120.

I realize it might be easier to simply get a separate tv card, so what
separate video card w/out TV would be good for around $85?

Jonathan Appleseed wrote:

> Is there a decent video card with PVR that isn't too weak for gaming and
> will not have problems in Linux? (I don't expect to run the TV in linux,
> just use the normal video). I only want to spend <$120.
>
> I realize it might be easier to simply get a separate tv card, so what
> separate video card w/out TV would be good for around $85?

You're better off asking this question in alt.linux, alt.os.linux, or
alt.os.linux.<yourdistro>

JohnS

> Is there a decent video card with PVR that isn't too weak for gaming and
> will not have problems in Linux? (I don't expect to run the TV in linux,
> just use the normal video). I only want to spend <$120.

None that I know of. I consider the ATI 9600XT to be the least
gaming card that gives good performance in games like Far Cry.
That card can be found on sale for around your figure, but it
does not have PVR. You can get a nice Hauppauge WinTV
card for $50 to $70.

johns

In article <xLwfe.46359$QR1.27745@fe04.lga>, Jonathan Appleseed says...
> Is there a decent video card with PVR that isn't too weak for gaming and
> will not have problems in Linux? (I don't expect to run the TV in linux,
> just use the normal video). I only want to spend <$120.
>
> I realize it might be easier to simply get a separate tv card, so what
> separate video card w/out TV would be good for around $85?

Get a seperate TV card. Any of the BT838 chipset based ones are well
supported such as the Hauppauge WinTV FM.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.