Setting specific IP address?

How do you go about setting a specific IP address for a PC using XP?
I see where to do the settings but here are several field to fill in in
addition to the IP..such as:

IP:
Subnet:
Default Gateway:

Preferred DNS server
Alternate DN server

I know what the IP should be, but what about the rest of the fields?

thank you

Howdy!

"trs80" <trs80@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How do you go about setting a specific IP address for a PC using XP?
> I see where to do the settings but here are several field to fill in in
> addition to the IP..such as:
>
> IP:
> Subnet:
> Default Gateway:
>
> Preferred DNS server
> Alternate DN server
>
> I know what the IP should be, but what about the rest of the fields?

They should be the appropriate numbers.

"But what are they?"

Well - the gateway IP is the IP of your gateway to the rest of the
universe - and if you don't mind not talking to anyone else but the local
network, can be left blank.

the Subnet is a mask, and is set appropriate for the local network.
Can't help you there - you need to talk to the system administrator.

The two DNS entries - are for the DNS servers you'll be using.

I know this doesn't help much - this is one of those "If you have to
ask, you probably can't get an answer you can use" things, unfortunately.

RwP

JohnS

What for? You really want to run bootp. Set the thing
to automatically poll for an ip-address when tcpip
comes up.

johns

peter

In article <Wnxfe.10789$iU.1215@lakeread05>, trs80@yahoo.com says...
> How do you go about setting a specific IP address for a PC using XP?
> I see where to do the settings but here are several field to fill in in
> addition to the IP..such as:
>
> IP:
> Subnet:
> Default Gateway:
>
> Preferred DNS server
> Alternate DN server
>
> I know what the IP should be, but what about the rest of the fields?
>
> thank you

Open a DOS window and type at the prompt: ipconfig /all

That should provide you with most of the info you require. It will also
give you the IP that has currently been assigned to that computer, which
should help to give you an idea of the IP number that you would like to
assign if you're a little unsure.

--
Pete Ives

trs80 wrote:
> How do you go about setting a specific IP address for a PC using XP?
> I see where to do the settings but here are several field to fill in in
> addition to the IP..such as:
>
> IP:
> Subnet:
> Default Gateway:
>
> Preferred DNS server
> Alternate DN server
>
> I know what the IP should be, but what about the rest of the fields?
>
> thank you

Google for a basic tcp/ip networking tutorial and you'll understand what
those values are and how to set them.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

In article <Wnxfe.10789$iU.1215@lakeread05>, trs80 says...
> How do you go about setting a specific IP address for a PC using XP?
> I see where to do the settings but here are several field to fill in in
> addition to the IP..such as:
>
> IP:
> Subnet:
> Default Gateway:
>
> Preferred DNS server
> Alternate DN server
>
> I know what the IP should be, but what about the rest of the fields?
>
> thank you

Subnet should be filled in automatically when you enter the IP address.
Default gateway is usually the IP address of the router/PC running
internet connection sharing.

DNS server IP address is again usually the IP address of what you're
using to connect to the internet but I have used my ISPs DNS server
addresses instead.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.