Advice on a Athlon XP mobo...

Hi everyone,

This is the setup I have right now:

Athlon XP 2700+
Asus A7N8X Mobo
2 x 512 Mb DDR 333Mhz Premium RAM
2 x 160 Gig WD Caviar 8Mb Buffer
1 X LG 12x8x32 CD Burner

Now, the problem I have is that the computer randomly reboots on
startup at any time, sometimes 3 to 4 times in a row, up to the Login
screen. I know it mostly probably is a short circuit but decided it
was time to get a new Mobo anyway.

Only criteria I have is for it to have 4 USB ports in the back and
have room to grow for the future (SATA, 400 Mhz bus, etc).

So, Anyone have a seggestion for a new board?

Thanks in advance!

Eric Bouchard wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> This is the setup I have right now:
>
> Athlon XP 2700+
> Asus A7N8X Mobo
> 2 x 512 Mb DDR 333Mhz Premium RAM
> 2 x 160 Gig WD Caviar 8Mb Buffer
> 1 X LG 12x8x32 CD Burner
>
> Now, the problem I have is that the computer randomly reboots on
> startup at any time, sometimes 3 to 4 times in a row, up to the Login
> screen. I know it mostly probably is a short circuit but decided it
> was time to get a new Mobo anyway.
>
> Only criteria I have is for it to have 4 USB ports in the back and
> have room to grow for the future (SATA, 400 Mhz bus, etc).
>
> So, Anyone have a seggestion for a new board?

Gotcha covered right here:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2_Platinum&class=mb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130458

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Eric Bouchard" <ericb27@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is the setup I have right now:
>
> Athlon XP 2700+
> Asus A7N8X Mobo
> 2 x 512 Mb DDR 333Mhz Premium RAM
> 2 x 160 Gig WD Caviar 8Mb Buffer
> 1 X LG 12x8x32 CD Burner
>
> Now, the problem I have is that the computer randomly reboots on
> startup at any time, sometimes 3 to 4 times in a row, up to the
> Login screen. I know it mostly probably is a short circuit but
> decided it was time to get a new Mobo anyway.
>
> Only criteria I have is for it to have 4 USB ports in the back
> and have room to grow for the future (SATA, 400 Mhz bus, etc).

I know you have already decided to get a new mobo, but the
problems you describe could well be memory or psu. You need to
eliminate those as the source of the problem or replace at the
same time as the mobo.
memtest86 for memory testing and check the voltages with
motherboard monitor over a couple of hours looking for
fluctuations.

> So, Anyone have a seggestion for a new board?

Abit NF7-s ver2

--
Ian

> I know you have already decided to get a new mobo, but the
> problems you describe could well be memory or psu. You need to
> eliminate those as the source of the problem or replace at the
> same time as the mobo.
> memtest86 for memory testing and check the voltages with
> motherboard monitor over a couple of hours looking for
> fluctuations.

I did think about a PSU problem but didn't see why it would be the
case. The thing is that it is the second time I have problems with my
A7N8X. The first time, I had to replace the board since my 2700+ just
wouldn't work and I would get a black screen w/ fans spinning so that
is why I assumed it was the Mobo the second time around.

I ran MBM for 7 hrs and this is what I have:

|Total number of readouts: 2404 CPU Speed: 1729 MHz
|
|Running from: 5/9/2005 9:49:01 AM until: 5/9/2005 4:29:51 PM

+-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|Sensor | Current | Low | High |
Average |
+-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|Case | 31° C | 29° C | 31° C | 30° C
|
|CPU Diode | 45° C | 41° C | 53° C | 44° C
|
|CPU Socket | 47° C | 44° C | 51° C | 45° C
|
|Core 0 | 1.71 V | 1.66 V | 1.78 V | 1.72
V |
|Core 1 | 1.71 V | 1.66 V | 1.78 V | 1.72
V |
|+3.3 | 3.30 V | 3.20 V | 3.38 V | 3.30
V |
|+5.00 | 4.68 V | 4.44 V | 4.81 V | 4.72
V |
|+12.00 | 11.55 V | 11.49 V | 11.61 V | 11.55
V |
|-12.00 | -12.07 V | -12.13 V | -12.01 V | 12.07 V |
|-5.00 | -5.06 V | -5.09 V | -5.04 V | -5.07
V |
|Fan 1 | 12980 RPM| 12500 RPM| 12980 RPM| 12855
RPM|
|Fan 2 | 3375 RPM | 3214 RPM | 3552 RPM | 3294
RPM |
|Fan 3 | 0 RPM | 0 RPM | 0 RPM | 0 RPM

+-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+

Seems there is some fluctuations in the +3.3, and the -12 and -5 seems
to be high. I am not too familiar with PSUs, so would it mean my Antec
Trupower 330Watts would not be enough? If so, any suggestions?

> Abit NF7-s ver2

And why that board more than another one?

Thanks for your help!

johns wrote:
> Gigabyte GA-7N400S-L ( nVidia chipset )

Ok, and why this one more than another? Just want to be sure to make
the right choice :)

Thanks!

> Gotcha covered right here:
>
> http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2_Platinum&class=mb
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130458

That was one of the choices I was considering, alongside the A7N8X-E
Deluxe. It looks pretty solid as far as Mobo goes.

But, any good suggestions for PSUs? Have to replace the Antec Trupower
330 Watts as well... something suited for the K7N2 Platinum

Thanks!

Eric Bouchard wrote:

>> Gotcha covered right here:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2_Platinum&class=mb

>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130458
>
> That was one of the choices I was considering, alongside the A7N8X-E
> Deluxe. It looks pretty solid as far as Mobo goes.
>
> But, any good suggestions for PSUs? Have to replace the Antec Trupower
> 330 Watts as well... something suited for the K7N2 Platinum

Why do you have to replace the Antec PSU? Is it bad? I saw your other post
on your voltages, but feel those are normal.

Honesly, I don't buy anything but Antec power supplies. The one time I
didn't, it bit me in the arse. I'm completely sold on Antec PSUs.

>>That was one of the choices I was considering, alongside the A7N8X-E
>>Deluxe. It looks pretty solid as far as Mobo goes.
>>
>>But, any good suggestions for PSUs? Have to replace the Antec Trupower
>>330 Watts as well... something suited for the K7N2 Platinum
>

> Why do you have to replace the Antec PSU? Is it bad? I saw your other post
> on your voltages, but feel those are normal.

I just remembered I left an important detail out: That was taken while
my 2700+ was underclocked at the level of a 2100+ (133Mhz). Even
then, There was some instability involved with it, so I had to
underclock at 1500+ to have a stable system with no reboot problems.
It is almost impossible to boot with the CPU at full speed.

> Honesly, I don't buy anything but Antec power supplies. The one time I
> didn't, it bit me in the arse. I'm completely sold on Antec PSUs.

I was leaning for Antec or Enermax. Might wanna go for the 480 Watts
TruePower. Sounds like a solid choice.

> I did think about a PSU problem but didn't see why it would be
> the case. The thing is that it is the second time I have
> problems with my A7N8X. The first time, I had to replace the
> board since my 2700+ just wouldn't work and I would get a black
> screen w/ fans spinning so that is why I assumed it was the Mobo
> the second time around.
>
> I ran MBM for 7 hrs and this is what I have:
>
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |Total number of readouts: 2404 CPU Speed: 1729 MHz |
> |Running from: 5/9/2005 9:49:01 AM until: 5/9/2005 4:29:51
> PM |
> +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
> |Sensor | Current | Low | High |
> Average |
> +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
> |Case | 31° C | 29° C | 31° C |
> 30° C |
> |CPU Diode | 45° C | 41° C | 53° C |
> 44° C |
> |CPU Socket | 47° C | 44° C | 51° C |
> 45° C |
> |Core 0 | 1.71 V | 1.66 V | 1.78 V |
> 1.72 V |
> |Core 1 | 1.71 V | 1.66 V | 1.78 V |
> 1.72 V |
> |+3.3 | 3.30 V | 3.20 V | 3.38 V |
> 3.30 V |
> |+5.00 | 4.68 V | 4.44 V | 4.81 V |
> 4.72 V |
> |+12.00 | 11.55 V | 11.49 V | 11.61 V |
> 11.55 V |
> |-12.00 | -12.07 V | -12.13 V | -12.01 V |
> 12.07 V |
> |-5.00 | -5.06 V | -5.09 V | -5.04 V
> | -5.07 V |
> |Fan 1 | 12980 RPM| 12500 RPM| 12980 RPM|
> 12855 RPM|
> |Fan 2 | 3375 RPM | 3214 RPM | 3552 RPM |
> 3294 RPM |
> |Fan 3 | 0 RPM | 0 RPM | 0 RPM |
> 0 RPM |
> +-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
>
> Seems there is some fluctuations in the +3.3, and the -12 and -5
> seems to be high. I am not too familiar with PSUs, so would it
> mean my Antec Trupower 330Watts would not be enough? If so, any
> suggestions?

The +5 rail looks a little low, I can't see you having a problem
with an Antec psu though. Did you test the memory with memtest86
for a couple of hours with zero errors?

>> Abit NF7-s ver2
>>

> And why that board more than another one?

Er, because I run a couple of them with no problems. I did use
A7N8X dlx ver1.04 but they were plagued by bios corruption, (I
overclock a bit).

--
Ian

>>Seems there is some fluctuations in the +3.3, and the -12 and -5
>>seems to be high. I am not too familiar with PSUs, so would it
>>mean my Antec Trupower 330Watts would not be enough? If so, any
>>suggestions?

I forgot to say that this was taking while my CPU was running at 2100+
speed (133 Mhz) instead of the 2700+ speed. It is almost impossible to
boot at 166Mhz (2700+). So, I guess that changes a few things eh?

> The +5 rail looks a little low, I can't see you having a problem
> with an Antec psu though. Did you test the memory with memtest86
> for a couple of hours with zero errors?

Not yet, but I plan to do this today. I don't think it is the memory,
since it started as soon as I added some new ware inside the PC, so
surely, it is the PSU.

>>And why that board more than another one?
>>

> Er, because I run a couple of them with no problems. I did use
> A7N8X dlx ver1.04 but they were plagued by bios corruption, (I
> overclock a bit).

Had problems before with the A7N8X Ver 1.0 and it just didn't like my
2700+. They replaced it with a Ver 2.0 and it worked flawlessly since
then. The reason I want to change it is to be able to add new features
to the PC and get SATA. That board is interesting, but someone
mentionned the MSI Delta2 Platinum and that was one of those was
considering :)

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS