Blast from the past - Can someone help with a couple of SB..

Ha! Not a P4
Not a P3
No, not even P2's

I've aqcuired a couple of Intel Pentium MMX 233 Single Board Computer's!!

http://www.allproducts.com.tw/computer/formosacom/02-lmb-586vh.html

Housed in a tank of a case

http://www.chassis-plans.com/rackmount-industrial-pc-computer-chassis/B2000-5u-rackmount-computer.html

with a 20-Slot ISA Passive Backplane.
It's never been used, 1 GB disks still pristine.
Sounds like a jet engine when turned on. I love this thing!

Can anyone tell me the best way to add some
hard drives, and hang this on my network?

I think the bios is too old for decent size hard
drives, are there any ISA hard drive controllers
out there? How would that work with the backplane?

How to network the thing? Would it be fast enough
to say, serve up MP3 files, or maybe even play them?
Soundcard?

A manual of some sort would really be helpful.

Any ideas appreciated on what to do with this. Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about blast past couple

    "Terry Wilson" <respond@to.group> wrote in message
    > Ha! Not a P4
    > Not a P3
    > No, not even P2's
    >
    > I've aqcuired a couple of Intel Pentium MMX 233 Single Board Computer's!!
    >
    > http://www.allproducts.com.tw/computer/formosacom/02-lmb-586vh.html
    >
    > Housed in a tank of a case

    http://www.chassis-plans.com/rackmount-industrial-pc-computer-chassis/B2000-5u-rackmount-computer.html

    > with a 20-Slot ISA Passive Backplane.
    > It's never been used, 1 GB disks still pristine.
    > Sounds like a jet engine when turned on. I love this thing!
    >
    > Can anyone tell me the best way to add some
    > hard drives, and hang this on my network?
    >
    > I think the bios is too old for decent size hard
    > drives, are there any ISA hard drive controllers
    > out there? How would that work with the backplane?
    >
    > How to network the thing? Would it be fast enough
    > to say, serve up MP3 files, or maybe even play them?
    > Soundcard?

    first off, there is such thing as an ISA harddrive controller...
    but being an old, ISA device...it's not likely you'd be able to use any
    drive
    larger than what the bios supports...however there are two possibilities i
    can think of to use
    a larger harddrive than the bios can support:

    1) use a software drive overlay such as EZ bios

    2) a drive partitioned and formatted on an other machine
    will probably work in you older machine. I know as a fact that i was able
    to do it with a 20 gig drive in an old p1 with an 8gig bios limit.
    If you use win9x there should be no problems...but a 3rd party utility
    such as Norton
    may see the drive as being misconfigured due to the actual size not being
    what the bios
    recognizes.

    Now as to networking the machine...sure
    there are plenty of ISA netcards out there on the used market selling for
    just
    about nothing... of course being ISA, they will not be 10/100's but merely
    "10".

    for my own personal purposes, such cards have been fine for use on my local
    network...your mileage may vary.

    If you can boot from SCSI you can go that route, if you use Linux, only the
    primary master (and sometimes slave) only have to be within BIOS Specs.

    As for MP3 playback this computer has MMX (Multimedia Extentions) and is
    faster than the slowest computer I played an MP3 on.

    Hint: If it says Pentium Pro With MMX, then it is a Pentium 2.
    It should also have a few (3 to 5) PCI Slots, but since it is a backplane it
    may not.
    "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> [...]

    > 2) a drive partitioned and formatted on an other machine
    > will probably work in you older machine. I know as a fact that i was
    able
    > to do it with a 20 gig drive in an old p1 with an 8gig bios limit.
    > If you use win9x there should be no problems...but a 3rd party utility
    > such as Norton
    > may see the drive as being misconfigured due to the actual size not being
    > what the bios
    > recognizes.
    >

    > Now as to networking the machine...sure
    > there are plenty of ISA netcards out there on the used market selling for
    > just
    > about nothing... of course being ISA, they will not be 10/100's but
    merely
    > "10".
    >
    > for my own personal purposes, such cards have been fine for use on my

    Thanks, I will look at those two options. Eh, I forgot about Virus
    Protection.
    Guess I will have to find something light weight for that. AVG maybe.

    "Robbie McFerren" <robbie.mcferren@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you can boot from SCSI you can go that route, if you use Linux, only
    the
    > primary master (and sometimes slave) only have to be within BIOS Specs.
    >
    > As for MP3 playback this computer has MMX (Multimedia Extentions) and is
    > faster than the slowest computer I played an MP3 on.
    >
    > Hint: If it says Pentium Pro With MMX, then it is a Pentium 2.
    > It should also have a few (3 to 5) PCI Slots, but since it is a backplane
    it
    > may not.

    Alas, not Pentium Pro. Thanks for the SCSI idea. Not sure
    if I want to sink lots of cash into big SCSI drives tho.

    Also, unfortunatly, it is a 20 ISA slot backplane, so no PCI.
    But I will see If I can find one with some PCI slots.

    Any idea how you associate a sound card with one CPU card?
    Or can you configure a single sound card for both processors?

    Thanks

Homebuilt Hard Drives Systems