advice on a new computer

Hi

I'm going to buy a new computer soon for audio work. I will record
music on it, especially acoustic instruments with a microphone, like
wind and string instruments. I won't do much MIDI work.

I need advice on parts for the computer.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939

Motherboard: This is the most problematic part. I have a few options.
Gigabyte, which is relatively inexpensvie and have the Nforce3 chipset.
Asus which is more expensive but I think they only have the Nforce4
chipset, which I'm not sure I need.
Abit which I heard many good things about, but they only use the Via
chipset, and I was told to go with the Nvidia chipset.
MSI which has both Via and Nvidia Nforce3. A little expensive.

I understand some motehrboards won't work with some memories or
graphics cards etc. How do I know what works? (For example I was told
Gigabyte motherboards only supposrt graphics cards that work with 1.5V
and not 0.8V)

Memeory cards: I'll use 2 X 512MB (1GB total RAM) of PC3200/400 DDR
SDRAM. I'll buy either Corsair or Kingston, the first being more
expensive. Is there a real difference between CL2 and CL2.5, or I won't
notice much difference? How do I match the right memories to the
motherboard?

Graphics card: What is the difference between AGP and PCI Express? I
saw some motherboards have an AGP slot, and some have PCI Express, or
did i miss something?
I'll probably go with the Nvidia FX5200 by either Gigabyte or Asus. I
don't think I need a very good graphics card (I won't play any games or
even have internet on this computer).

Hard drives: Two hard drives, one 80GB, and one 120GB. Options are WD
or Seagate. Which is better or quieter?

DVD burner: NEC 3520A. Do I need another CD drive or will this be
enough? (What I'll do is listen to CDs, watch DVDs, and burn CDs and
DVDs, I think this drive can do all this right?)

Any recommendations on case and power supply, or any is ok? I hope to
make the computer pretty quiet, but I don't want to spend too much
money on that. I understand some people change the CPU fan to a quieter
one, and that there are special cases and quiet power supplies.

Thank you very much
Nitai

clarnibass wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm going to buy a new computer soon for audio work. I will record
> music on it, especially acoustic instruments with a microphone, like
> wind and string instruments. I won't do much MIDI work.
>
> I need advice on parts for the computer.
>
> Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939
>
> Motherboard: This is the most problematic part. I have a few options.
> Gigabyte, which is relatively inexpensvie and have the Nforce3
chipset.
> Asus which is more expensive but I think they only have the Nforce4
> chipset, which I'm not sure I need.
> Abit which I heard many good things about, but they only use the Via
> chipset, and I was told to go with the Nvidia chipset.
> MSI which has both Via and Nvidia Nforce3. A little expensive.

Which ever one you go for make sure it hasn't got any fans built into
it. They will produce more noise, tend to die quite early, and can be
a nightmare to replace.

> I understand some motehrboards won't work with some memories or
> graphics cards etc. How do I know what works? (For example I was told
> Gigabyte motherboards only supposrt graphics cards that work with
1.5V
> and not 0.8V)

Erm, if the stuff is the right type, and a good brand then there
shouldn't be a problem. With memory just make sure you go for a good
make such as cruicial, Samsung, etc.

I'm not sure about the graphics cards, but unless you want to play
games you won't need anything other than a cheap one. With the
graphics card I'd also go for a passively cooled (fanless) one because
a fan will just make more noise.

> Memeory cards: I'll use 2 X 512MB (1GB total RAM) of PC3200/400 DDR
> SDRAM. I'll buy either Corsair or Kingston, the first being more
> expensive. Is there a real difference between CL2 and CL2.5, or I
won't
> notice much difference? How do I match the right memories to the
> motherboard?

Either of those should be fine. CL2 is better than CL2.5, but I'm not
sure whether the difference will be noticable.

> Graphics card: What is the difference between AGP and PCI Express? I
> saw some motherboards have an AGP slot, and some have PCI Express, or
> did i miss something?

PCI Express is replacing AGP. The difference in performance is
negligable at the moment, but to be future proof it'd be better to go
for PCI-Express.

> I'll probably go with the Nvidia FX5200 by either Gigabyte or Asus. I
> don't think I need a very good graphics card (I won't play any games
or
> even have internet on this computer).

Oh yeah, that's fine. Just make sure that they don't have fans. I
think most of the FX5200's are fanless, but some probably do have fans.

> Hard drives: Two hard drives, one 80GB, and one 120GB. Options are WD
> or Seagate. Which is better or quieter?

Seagate were the quietest, but I think Samsung are a little quieter
these days.

> DVD burner: NEC 3520A. Do I need another CD drive or will this be
> enough? (What I'll do is listen to CDs, watch DVDs, and burn CDs and
> DVDs, I think this drive can do all this right?)

Yes, one drive is enough. I think any DVD burner will do. My friend's
got a NEC and seems to think they are good.

> Any recommendations on case and power supply, or any is ok? I hope to
> make the computer pretty quiet, but I don't want to spend too much
> money on that.

I would have a look at quietPC.com. They've got some cases with foam
stuff built in. This will reduce the noise, but also reduce the
airflow.

> I understand some people change the CPU fan to a quieter
> one, and that there are special cases and quiet power supplies.

The problem you will have is getting the CPU to a low enough
temperature. I have a very cool Athlon XP, but your CPU is going to be
much hotter. If you go for a lower clock speed, or even a Sempron
it'll be much easier to cool.

I'm not too sure about PSU's. There are some fanless ones, but you
would need good airflow around the case for these.

My computer is VERY quiet, but it would probably still be picked up on
audio recordings in the same room. When I get chance I think I'll put
some foamy stuff in it to see if it helps.

Thank you everyone for your answers.

I decided I might go down to the Athlon 64 3000+ model (which is
1.8Ghz) instead of the 3200+ (which is 2.0Ghz), that would probably be
a little easier to cool, but is it fast enough for programs like
Cubase, Vegas, and many channels with effects? I understand that using
a lot of effects takes a lot of CPU, and memory, so I can't save money
on those.

On the processor, what is the difference between the Newcastle and
Winchester? Which is better? (I'm not going to overclock)

Does anyone have good experience with a good motherboard and reasonable
graphics card that work good together? These two parts seems the most
problematic to match.

As soon as I decide on the motherbaord, and then find a grphics card
that match, I'll be ready to start I think.

Thanks very much.

clarnibass wrote:
> Thank you everyone for your answers.
>
> I decided I might go down to the Athlon 64 3000+ model (which is
> 1.8Ghz) instead of the 3200+ (which is 2.0Ghz), that would probably
be
> a little easier to cool, but is it fast enough for programs like
> Cubase, Vegas, and many channels with effects? I understand that
using
> a lot of effects takes a lot of CPU, and memory, so I can't save
money
> on those.
>
> On the processor, what is the difference between the Newcastle and
> Winchester? Which is better? (I'm not going to overclock)
>
> Does anyone have good experience with a good motherboard and
reasonable
> graphics card that work good together? These two parts seems the most
> problematic to match.
>
> As soon as I decide on the motherbaord, and then find a grphics card
> that match, I'll be ready to start I think.

How about you choose a m/b and we choose a graphics card for you? I've
never had problems with graphics cards, I'd just go for a good brand.
My graphics cards have been MSI ones (two of them). I can't really
answer the other questions though.