TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anyone buy this game? I have it, and while it isnt bad, persay, i see almost no improvement over the original Tribes. Sure there are some graphics improvements, but it just makes the game run slow as hell. Ive never had a game run out of virtual memory and crash, but tribes has done that to me a few times. Overall, Id say they should have just made Tribes 2 a patch for Tribes. Anyone else think different? Id really like to know what Im missing.

Even a broken watch is right twice a day...

dhlucke

Polypheme
What kind of PC and GPU are you running with? I'm running barely with the minimum requirements I have a P2 400 and a V3 3000, and the graphics are obviously better. Unfortionately I have to lower the resolutions and the sky ends up just being a damn square with no texture. I was actually hoping that when I upgrade I'll be able to enjoy all the graphics, so please don't say you're running with a new PC.

The weapons are better though, as are the vehicles. I haven't played it much to tell you more than that though...

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i have tbird 800@945 (105x9), 256 pc133, radeon 32ddr @183mhz. on this setup i get close to 80-100fps at 1024x768 on almost every game. but tribes runs at a max of 60 with an average of about 40fps. while the graphics are prettier, the engine runs like crap and drains resources almost wastingly. as for the weapons, i dont know what your talkin about because absolutely NOTHING has changed about them.

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Tribes 1 was certainly a better game for it's day than Tribes 2. However, Dynamix has done a good job IMHO of updating the game without losing the feel of the original. At times Tribes 2 seems to run slower but I've found this to be only perceived speed as the maps are all HUGE! Going back to T1 occasionally confirms this. T1 runs slower all around. The more I play T2 the more I like it.

Vehicles have been massively improved and the teamwork requirements also are increased, but without sacrificing public game playability.

As for how the game runs, my setup consists of an AMD 1ghz, 32mb Geforce 2, 512mb ram. I have every detail set to maximum, all extras turned on and run a resolution of 1024x768 during gameplay. While I'm not sure of exactly what framerates I'm getting (too lazy to check it out yet) it runs very well.

Except for extreme lateness in release and still having released it too early, I'd say Dynamix has done a fine job. Now if they would just finish fixing the darn thing! :)

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dont get me wrong, i do think tribes 2 has been greatly improved in smoothness of play (i love the changes to the inventory stations), but i just think that with the amount of time they have spent on it, they could have added a few more weapons or some small stuff like that. it is a great game and its fun to play, i guess i just expected more thats all.

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
For the amount of time spent on this game they most certainly should have done more, I agree. The graphics are nice, but I feel they should be better considering it's the newest game on the market. They're basically on par with Quake which is using year-old technology in it's engine.

I'm hapy with the gameplay though, including weapons. They listened to the gaming community which is by far the best thing they could do and included the weapons most added weapons in mods of Tribes 1 such as the rocket launcher.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yeah, but don't you think people will come out with new stuff like they did for T1? Anyone know how easy it is to mod the game?

As far as weapons go, I think they could have added more, but I like the subtle differences to the T2 weapons.

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
There will always be items added to the game in mods. Most of them are there just for the sake of being different, not because they are an improvement. I can't count the number of mods I've run across in most popular games including Tribes.

-- If you recycled your computer, would you get enough money to buy a pizza? --