How to delete printer drivers?

Hello,

I have an Epson Stylus Color 800 and haven't been able to print lately.

I've tried the printer at my neighbor with my cable, and it worked. So it
must be somethign wrong with my pc instead.

Before testing it at my neighbor, the pc complained that the printer was
offline. Now, it seemed to be able to communicate with the printer, but it
at first reported that the printer was out of paper, and then some
rubbish/gibberish was blurted out, instead of the test page that i was
trying to print.

So now I want to remove all the printer drivers and start afresh. I've
previously also downloaded some other printer drivers for this same printer
and I want to remove them as well.

I can use the Epson uninstall program to remove the original Epson Stylus
Color 800 driver, but I don't know how to remove the extra printer drivers
that I have installed into my pc.

Please also tell me what else I should do to get my printer working with my
pc again.

Thanks.

Herbert

"Herbert Chan" <herbert@chan.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have an Epson Stylus Color 800 and haven't been able to print lately.
>
> I've tried the printer at my neighbor with my cable, and it worked. So it
> must be somethign wrong with my pc instead.
>
> Before testing it at my neighbor, the pc complained that the printer was
> offline. Now, it seemed to be able to communicate with the printer, but
> it
> at first reported that the printer was out of paper, and then some
> rubbish/gibberish was blurted out, instead of the test page that i was
> trying to print.
>
> So now I want to remove all the printer drivers and start afresh. I've
> previously also downloaded some other printer drivers for this same
> printer
> and I want to remove them as well.
>
> I can use the Epson uninstall program to remove the original Epson Stylus
> Color 800 driver, but I don't know how to remove the extra printer drivers
> that I have installed into my pc.
>
> Please also tell me what else I should do to get my printer working with
> my
> pc again.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Herbert

See my site at:
www.coribright.com

Hi Herbert,

I just replied to your previous query to the group, so please look for it.

What OS are you running again?

Art

Herbert Chan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an Epson Stylus Color 800 and haven't been able to print lately.
>
> I've tried the printer at my neighbor with my cable, and it worked. So it
> must be somethign wrong with my pc instead.
>
> Before testing it at my neighbor, the pc complained that the printer was
> offline. Now, it seemed to be able to communicate with the printer, but it
> at first reported that the printer was out of paper, and then some
> rubbish/gibberish was blurted out, instead of the test page that i was
> trying to print.
>
> So now I want to remove all the printer drivers and start afresh. I've
> previously also downloaded some other printer drivers for this same printer
> and I want to remove them as well.
>
> I can use the Epson uninstall program to remove the original Epson Stylus
> Color 800 driver, but I don't know how to remove the extra printer drivers
> that I have installed into my pc.
>
> Please also tell me what else I should do to get my printer working with my
> pc again.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Herbert

Cari,

Thank you for your help. But my OS is Win98SE.

Do I also need to disconnect the printer before installing the driver?
Could you give me a detailed instruction?

I'm totally at a loss at the moment.

Herbert

"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:rbL5d.35$Yr.2@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net ¤¤¼¶¼g...

> "Herbert Chan" <herbert@chan.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have an Epson Stylus Color 800 and haven't been able to print lately.
> >
> > I've tried the printer at my neighbor with my cable, and it worked. So
it
> > must be somethign wrong with my pc instead.
> >
> > Before testing it at my neighbor, the pc complained that the printer was
> > offline. Now, it seemed to be able to communicate with the printer, but
> > it
> > at first reported that the printer was out of paper, and then some
> > rubbish/gibberish was blurted out, instead of the test page that i was
> > trying to print.
> >
> > So now I want to remove all the printer drivers and start afresh. I've
> > previously also downloaded some other printer drivers for this same
> > printer
> > and I want to remove them as well.
> >
> > I can use the Epson uninstall program to remove the original Epson
Stylus
> > Color 800 driver, but I don't know how to remove the extra printer
drivers
> > that I have installed into my pc.
> >
> > Please also tell me what else I should do to get my printer working with
> > my
> > pc again.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Herbert
> >
> See my site at:
> http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm
> www.coribright.com

Hi Again Herbert,

I did seem to recall you were using Win 98SE, so let me try to help.

As I recall with the 800, you can have the printer connected to the
computer when you install the drivers.

What you need to do is to either locate the CD that came with the
printer, or download the necessary drivers for your exact printer (there
may be more than one file, one the basic driver and one the status
monitor) from Epson's website and place them into a location you can
recall (like making and naming your own folder for them on your harddrive).

If the files are compressed or zipped, make sure to unzip them first,
again, having the unzipped files placed in a location you can recall on
your computer.

Then double click MY COMPUTER and double click on "Printers". You
should see an icon that says "Add Printer", so double click on it.

This will begin the wizard. Click on "NEXT", on the first screen, make
sure the radio button is filled in next to "local printer" (NOT NETWORK)
and click on next. The system my now look around for the driver list
and create it (this could take a minute) and then it will show a list of
manufacturers and printer models for you to pick from. DO NOT select
your printer from this list. Instead, click on the button that says
"HAVE DISK" and then either by using the browse option, or by typing in
the location of the unzipped files from Epson for the Epson 800, point
the wizard to where the file are located on your hard drive, and click
on OK. The program should now load and install the Epson printer drivers.

If it asks, both make this printer the default printer and print a test
page (make sure the printer is on at that point). If it doesn't ask,
once the drivers are installed and an icon appears for the Epson 800 in
the printer folder, double left click on the 800 icon and in the first
drop down menu under "printer" click on "set as default". (Or
alternatively click right and click on "set as default".) A black circle
with a check mark in white should appear next to the default printer icon.

At this point, the printer drivers should be installed, and it should
work, assuming all other connections are correct.

If you still have problems get back to me and I will explain how to get
to the systems resources to determine if you have any IRQ or DMA
conflicts with the Epson LPT 1 port.

Art

Herbert Chan wrote:

> Cari,
>
> Thank you for your help. But my OS is Win98SE.
>
> Do I also need to disconnect the printer before installing the driver?
> Could you give me a detailed instruction?
>
> I'm totally at a loss at the moment.
>
> Herbert
>
> "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
> news:rbL5d.35$Yr.2@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net ¤¤¼¶¼g...
>
>>"Herbert Chan" <herbert@chan.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I have an Epson Stylus Color 800 and haven't been able to print lately.
>>>
>>>I've tried the printer at my neighbor with my cable, and it worked. So
>
> it
>
>>>must be somethign wrong with my pc instead.
>>>
>>>Before testing it at my neighbor, the pc complained that the printer was
>>>offline. Now, it seemed to be able to communicate with the printer, but
>>>it
>>>at first reported that the printer was out of paper, and then some
>>>rubbish/gibberish was blurted out, instead of the test page that i was
>>>trying to print.
>>>
>>>So now I want to remove all the printer drivers and start afresh. I've
>>>previously also downloaded some other printer drivers for this same
>>>printer
>>>and I want to remove them as well.
>>>
>>>I can use the Epson uninstall program to remove the original Epson
>
> Stylus
>
>>>Color 800 driver, but I don't know how to remove the extra printer
>
> drivers
>
>>>that I have installed into my pc.
>>>
>>>Please also tell me what else I should do to get my printer working with
>>>my
>>>pc again.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Herbert
>>>

>>See my site at:
>>http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm
>>--
>>Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>>www.coribright.com

I just was on the Epson US website and noted that the drivers are in a
self extracting file (indicated below). There is also a patch if you
have and wish to use the special Epson Parallel to USB converter.

Since this file will self-extract, you do NOT need to follow my original
instructions.

Instead, just download the file indicated here from the Epson website:

[-] Printer Driver v2.2IES
Windows 3.1, Windows 98, Windows 95
SC822IES.EXE - 2MB - posted on 07/23/98

Again, make sure to place it somewhere you can find it on your harddrive
when you download it.

Then locate it on your hard drive, and double click on the icon.

A box will show up which explains the file will be extracted onto your
C\Epson\ folder. Click on OK, and a second box will open which explains
the files will be written to the C\EPSON folder and that then Setup.exe
will automatically be run. leave both these boxes checked as they are by
default. Click on the "UNZIP" button. Then the folder will be created on
your C drive, if it doesn't already exist, and the setup program will
start and just follow the prompts and it will install the driver for
your printer.

Art

Herbert Chan wrote:

> Cari,
>
> Thank you for your help. But my OS is Win98SE.
>
> Do I also need to disconnect the printer before installing the driver?
> Could you give me a detailed instruction?
>
> I'm totally at a loss at the moment.
>
> Herbert
>
> "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
> news:rbL5d.35$Yr.2@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net ¤¤¼¶¼g...
>
>>"Herbert Chan" <herbert@chan.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I have an Epson Stylus Color 800 and haven't been able to print lately.
>>>
>>>I've tried the printer at my neighbor with my cable, and it worked. So
>
> it
>
>>>must be somethign wrong with my pc instead.
>>>
>>>Before testing it at my neighbor, the pc complained that the printer was
>>>offline. Now, it seemed to be able to communicate with the printer, but
>>>it
>>>at first reported that the printer was out of paper, and then some
>>>rubbish/gibberish was blurted out, instead of the test page that i was
>>>trying to print.
>>>
>>>So now I want to remove all the printer drivers and start afresh. I've
>>>previously also downloaded some other printer drivers for this same
>>>printer
>>>and I want to remove them as well.
>>>
>>>I can use the Epson uninstall program to remove the original Epson
>
> Stylus
>
>>>Color 800 driver, but I don't know how to remove the extra printer
>
> drivers
>
>>>that I have installed into my pc.
>>>
>>>Please also tell me what else I should do to get my printer working with
>>>my
>>>pc again.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Herbert
>>>

>>See my site at:
>>http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm
>>--
>>Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>>www.coribright.com

Arthur,

Thank you for your help.

I've followed your instruction. I've now chosen IRQ5 for my printer and
it's ECP/EPP in the BIOS.

The behavior now is:

When I tried printing the test page, the spool manager first complained that
the printer was out of paper. It then started printing. After printing out
the windows 98 logo, it then dumped some gibberish out. Then the paper was
blurted out and the printer loaded another paper, then something
unrecognisable was printed on the paper, but very sparingly, and the paper
was blurted out. It then loaded another, and another. I had to press the
power button to turn off the printer to prevent it from keeping on printing
something on the paper and hten blurted it out.

When I tried printer like ABCDEFG from Word, the paper was advanced to a
certain position, and it then did nothing, for a very long time (10min). I
had to press the load paper button to get the paper out. And nothing was
printed.

At my neighbor's WinXP, only one single page was used as expected for the
test page.

So this is the behavior. (The printer is very low on black ink though.
This shouldn't be causing all this problem, right?)

I haven't uninstalled the IrDA adapter as I will need to connect to my
mobile phone more often than to use my printer (I can always use the laser
printer at work).

Hope you can help me further.

Thank you very much.

Herbert