Laptops: mobile Centrino VS. AMD Athlon 64

Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

I want to put together a laptop but I'm cannot decide which route to take.
Does anyone know of a good place to buy? And does any have any suggestions
on what to purchase? Centrino or AMD Athlon 64 for a laptop? Any suggestions
or tips where to lean on?

Thanks,
Stephanie

NoOne

How do you put together a laptop? Is there manufacturer that sell case and
motherboard for a laptop?

"Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
> I want to put together a laptop but I'm cannot decide which route to take.
> Does anyone know of a good place to buy? And does any have any suggestions
> on what to purchase? Centrino or AMD Athlon 64 for a laptop? Any
suggestions
> or tips where to lean on?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephanie

BigJim

recommend mobile Pentium 4

noone wrote:

> How do you put together a laptop? Is there manufacturer that sell case
> and motherboard for a laptop?

You can buy what is known as a Carcass, this is a laptop minus CPU, Memory,
Drives etc...you then build it up to the spec you require.

However these are generally only available from trade suppliers and to be
honest are often not as nice machines as their brandname counterparts.

Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

If you go to pricewatch.com you can find many. When you go to
tomshardware.com, they recommend coboc.com
check them out.

Stephanie

"noone" <noone@nospam.com> wrote in message
> How do you put together a laptop? Is there manufacturer that sell case
and
> motherboard for a laptop?
>

> "Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
> > I want to put together a laptop but I'm cannot decide which route to
take.
> > Does anyone know of a good place to buy? And does any have any
suggestions
> > on what to purchase? Centrino or AMD Athlon 64 for a laptop? Any
> suggestions
> > or tips where to lean on?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stephanie

Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

that was not an option, i was looking for info the Pentium M Centrino or the
AMD Athlon 64 chips. P4's run to hot........

Thanks
Stephanie

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> recommend mobile Pentium 4
>
> "Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
> >I want to put together a laptop but I'm cannot decide which route to
take.
> > Does anyone know of a good place to buy? And does any have any
suggestions
> > on what to purchase? Centrino or AMD Athlon 64 for a laptop? Any
> > suggestions
> > or tips where to lean on?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stephanie

BigJim

the centrino is not a cpu it is a machine with wifi and other stuff and
usually comes with
a Mobile p4. check out the dell 600m. btw the p4 mobile processor is much
different than a regular p4.
I have a laptop with a 1.6 and it runs as fast as my desktop with a p4 2.4.
the mobile p4 2.0 runs like
a 3.2 gig P4 and make sure you do not get integrated graphics.

> that was not an option, i was looking for info the Pentium M Centrino or
> the
> AMD Athlon 64 chips. P4's run to hot........
>
> Thanks
> Stephanie
>

> "BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> recommend mobile Pentium 4
>>
>> "Stephan" <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote in message
>> >I want to put together a laptop but I'm cannot decide which route to
> take.
>> > Does anyone know of a good place to buy? And does any have any
> suggestions
>> > on what to purchase? Centrino or AMD Athlon 64 for a laptop? Any
>> > suggestions
>> > or tips where to lean on?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Stephanie

jad

that's a good point Jim, it is 'worded' everywhere as "centrino CPU" then
you look at the specs and it comes up Pentium M (mobile 4).