DVD Rom & DVD writer - master/slave settings

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 11, 2005 3:04:38 PM

I have just built a machine and have a question

I have a SATA hardrive

DVD rom drive connected to primary controller set as master
DVD re-writer connected to secondary controller set as slave

when i bought the DVD writer it already had the jumper setting already
set as a slave drive so i left it, does anyone know if it's ok to have
this configuration? baring in mind that the DVD writer is the only
device connected to the secondary controller the DVD rom drive is the
only device connected to the primary controller.

Just would like to know if i should change the DVD writer to secondary
master or just leave it.

Thanks in advance

du.
May 11, 2005 3:04:39 PM

put the roms on the primaries, set to master of each channel

<du@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4281e6c1.17973216@news.plus.net...
> I have just built a machine and have a question
>
> I have a SATA hardrive
>
> DVD rom drive connected to primary controller set as master
> DVD re-writer connected to secondary controller set as slave
>
> when i bought the DVD writer it already had the jumper setting already
> set as a slave drive so i left it, does anyone know if it's ok to have
> this configuration? baring in mind that the DVD writer is the only
> device connected to the secondary controller the DVD rom drive is the
> only device connected to the primary controller.
>
> Just would like to know if i should change the DVD writer to secondary
> master or just leave it.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> du.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 11, 2005 8:56:38 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:04:38 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants du@hotmail.com wrote :

>I have just built a machine and have a question
>
>I have a SATA hardrive
>
>DVD rom drive connected to primary controller set as master
>DVD re-writer connected to secondary controller set as slave
>
>when i bought the DVD writer it already had the jumper setting already
>set as a slave drive so i left it, does anyone know if it's ok to have
>this configuration? baring in mind that the DVD writer is the only
>device connected to the secondary controller the DVD rom drive is the
>only device connected to the primary controller.
>
>Just would like to know if i should change the DVD writer to secondary
>master or just leave it.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>du.

That is a good setup and the system doesn't care if the device is set
as Master or Slave.The only time to concern yourself with these
settings is if you share an IDE port with two devices that you
frequently copy to and from which is not the case in your setup.

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:58:22 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "JAD"
<kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote :

>put the roms on the primaries, set to master of each channel

Why?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
May 11, 2005 9:02:51 PM

simply, it would be logical orderly, and proper.

and it looks better on the POST screen ;^)\

"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:58:22 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
> because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "JAD"
> <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote :
>
> >put the roms on the primaries, set to master of each channel
>
> Why?
>

> ><du@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4281e6c1.17973216@news.plus.net...
> >> I have just built a machine and have a question
> >>
> >> I have a SATA hardrive
> >>
> >> DVD rom drive connected to primary controller set as master
> >> DVD re-writer connected to secondary controller set as slave
> >>
> >> when i bought the DVD writer it already had the jumper setting already
> >> set as a slave drive so i left it, does anyone know if it's ok to have
> >> this configuration? baring in mind that the DVD writer is the only
> >> device connected to the secondary controller the DVD rom drive is the
> >> only device connected to the primary controller.
> >>
> >> Just would like to know if i should change the DVD writer to secondary
> >> master or just leave it.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
> >>
> >> du.
> >

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> remove obvious to reply
> email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
> Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
May 11, 2005 9:02:52 PM

and I'm a yank...we don't like the term 'slave' LOL

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> simply, it would be logical orderly, and proper.
>
> and it looks better on the POST screen ;^)\
>

> "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:58:22 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
> > because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "JAD"
> > <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote :
> >
> > >put the roms on the primaries, set to master of each channel
> >
> > Why?
> >

> > ><du@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > --
> > Free Windows/PC help,
> > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
> > remove obvious to reply
> > email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
> > Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
> > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 11, 2005 9:26:56 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:22:59 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "JAD"
<kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote :

>simply, it would be logical orderly, and proper.
>
>and it looks better on the POST screen ;^)\

Tart(Girl's Blouse)<grin> :D

>"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:58:22 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
>> because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "JAD"
>> <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote :
>>
>> >put the roms on the primaries, set to master of each channel
>>
>> Why?

>> --
>> Free Windows/PC help,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
>> remove obvious to reply
>> email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
>> Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
>> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
a b B Homebuilt system
May 11, 2005 9:28:28 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 17:26:56 +0100 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants Shep©
<nospam@nospam.com> wrote :

>On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:22:59 -0700 If I have seen farther it is
>because I have stood on the shoulder of giants "JAD"
><kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote :
>
>>simply, it would be logical orderly, and proper.
>>
>>and it looks better on the POST screen ;^)\
>
>Tart(Girl's Blouse)<grin> :D

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/t.htm

Heh.Heh :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email pds@OBVIOUSpartybombe.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :o )
May 12, 2005 9:45:30 PM

Totally goofy setup ... I'm surprised your system boots. Pretty
soon, you are going to make an install from one of those cds,
and your SATA is history.

I recommend:
Remove the DVD rom drive entirely.
Master the DVD writer on IDE 1 ( nothing on IDE 0 )

johns
!