weird usb problem

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 7:13:30 PM

Hi everyone,
I've got a strange USB problem. I just installed a FrontX dual usb plug
onto the front of my case. It's an internal plug model so it plugs into
the motherboard header. This has brought my number of USB ports up to 6.
Two directly off the motherboard, two on a rear panel via a motherboard
header and the above mentioned two on the front of the case via the
second motherboard header.

Now everything's working fine except my Lexar Jumpdrive (flash drive)
will work in all four rear ports but not in the two new front ports.
I've tried other devices like my digital camera and modem and they work
fine in the front ports. I've tried the jumpdive on other PCs and it's
fine. I've tried switching the two motherboard header plugs with no
difference.

I've searched the microsoft site looking for known problems with this
device and found nothing. I've tried reinstalling my USB 2.0 drivers
with no difference. The jumpdrive is hi-speed (usb 2.0) and so are all 6
ports. I've tried the drive on a low-speed port on another computer and
it was fine.

It's just so weird that it works fine on the rear ports via the
motherboard header but not on the front ports.

Any ideas? I'm stumped with this one. Could the drive be grounding the
port somehow? It's surrounded by nothing but plastic so I don't think it
could be that.

I've got a Gigabyte GA-7VA motherboard, running winXP pro.

any suggestions appreciated.

matt

More about : weird usb problem

May 13, 2005 7:13:31 PM

The camera is ver 2.0 and the header for the front panel is 1.1?
The 2nd header is not enabled in the bios?
Wiring for the Front panel is reversed?

"Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@@bmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
> I've got a strange USB problem. I just installed a FrontX dual usb plug
> onto the front of my case. It's an internal plug model so it plugs into
> the motherboard header. This has brought my number of USB ports up to 6.
> Two directly off the motherboard, two on a rear panel via a motherboard
> header and the above mentioned two on the front of the case via the
> second motherboard header.
>
> Now everything's working fine except my Lexar Jumpdrive (flash drive)
> will work in all four rear ports but not in the two new front ports.
> I've tried other devices like my digital camera and modem and they work
> fine in the front ports. I've tried the jumpdive on other PCs and it's
> fine. I've tried switching the two motherboard header plugs with no
> difference.
>
> I've searched the microsoft site looking for known problems with this
> device and found nothing. I've tried reinstalling my USB 2.0 drivers
> with no difference. The jumpdrive is hi-speed (usb 2.0) and so are all 6
> ports. I've tried the drive on a low-speed port on another computer and
> it was fine.
>
> It's just so weird that it works fine on the rear ports via the
> motherboard header but not on the front ports.
>
> Any ideas? I'm stumped with this one. Could the drive be grounding the
> port somehow? It's surrounded by nothing but plastic so I don't think it
> could be that.
>
> I've got a Gigabyte GA-7VA motherboard, running winXP pro.
>
> any suggestions appreciated.
>
> matt
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 7:19:40 PM

"Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@@bmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
> I've got a strange USB problem. I just installed a FrontX dual usb plug
> onto the front of my case. It's an internal plug model so it plugs into
> the motherboard header. This has brought my number of USB ports up to 6.
> Two directly off the motherboard, two on a rear panel via a motherboard
> header and the above mentioned two on the front of the case via the
> second motherboard header.
>
> Now everything's working fine except my Lexar Jumpdrive (flash drive)
> will work in all four rear ports but not in the two new front ports.
> I've tried other devices like my digital camera and modem and they work
> fine in the front ports. I've tried the jumpdive on other PCs and it's
> fine. I've tried switching the two motherboard header plugs with no
> difference.
>
> I've searched the microsoft site looking for known problems with this
> device and found nothing. I've tried reinstalling my USB 2.0 drivers
> with no difference. The jumpdrive is hi-speed (usb 2.0) and so are all 6
> ports. I've tried the drive on a low-speed port on another computer and
> it was fine.
>
> It's just so weird that it works fine on the rear ports via the
> motherboard header but not on the front ports.
>
> Any ideas? I'm stumped with this one. Could the drive be grounding the
> port somehow? It's surrounded by nothing but plastic so I don't think it
> could be that.
>
> I've got a Gigabyte GA-7VA motherboard, running winXP pro.
>
> any suggestions appreciated.
>
> matt

try swapping over the headers.........
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 7:26:49 PM

"Gomma Pyle" <Gomma@Pylebtinternet.com> wrote in
news:D 62gic$pek$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

> "Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@@bmail.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi everyone,
>> I've got a strange USB problem. I just installed a FrontX dual usb
>> plug onto the front of my case. It's an internal plug model so it
>> plugs into the motherboard header. This has brought my number of USB
>> ports up to 6. Two directly off the motherboard, two on a rear panel
>> via a motherboard header and the above mentioned two on the front of
>> the case via the second motherboard header.
>>
>> Now everything's working fine except my Lexar Jumpdrive (flash drive)
>> will work in all four rear ports but not in the two new front ports.
>> I've tried other devices like my digital camera and modem and they
>> work fine in the front ports. I've tried the jumpdive on other PCs
>> and it's fine. I've tried switching the two motherboard header plugs
>> with no difference.
>>
>> I've searched the microsoft site looking for known problems with this
>> device and found nothing. I've tried reinstalling my USB 2.0 drivers
>> with no difference. The jumpdrive is hi-speed (usb 2.0) and so are
>> all 6 ports. I've tried the drive on a low-speed port on another
>> computer and it was fine.
>>
>> It's just so weird that it works fine on the rear ports via the
>> motherboard header but not on the front ports.
>>
>> Any ideas? I'm stumped with this one. Could the drive be grounding
>> the port somehow? It's surrounded by nothing but plastic so I don't
>> think it could be that.
>>
>> I've got a Gigabyte GA-7VA motherboard, running winXP pro.
>>
>> any suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> matt
>
> try swapping over the headers.........

Tried that already, as i said in the last sentence of the second
paragraph, with no difference.

thanks for the reply tho.

matt
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 7:26:50 PM

> "Gomma Pyle" <Gomma@Pylebtinternet.com> wrote in
> news:D 62gic$pek$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:
>

>> "Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@@bmail.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I've got a strange USB problem. I just installed a FrontX dual usb
>>> plug onto the front of my case. It's an internal plug model so it
>>> plugs into the motherboard header. This has brought my number of USB
>>> ports up to 6. Two directly off the motherboard, two on a rear panel
>>> via a motherboard header and the above mentioned two on the front of
>>> the case via the second motherboard header.
>>>
>>> Now everything's working fine except my Lexar Jumpdrive (flash drive)
>>> will work in all four rear ports but not in the two new front ports.
>>> I've tried other devices like my digital camera and modem and they
>>> work fine in the front ports. I've tried the jumpdive on other PCs
>>> and it's fine. I've tried switching the two motherboard header plugs
>>> with no difference.
>>>
>>> I've searched the microsoft site looking for known problems with this
>>> device and found nothing. I've tried reinstalling my USB 2.0 drivers
>>> with no difference. The jumpdrive is hi-speed (usb 2.0) and so are
>>> all 6 ports. I've tried the drive on a low-speed port on another
>>> computer and it was fine.
>>>
>>> It's just so weird that it works fine on the rear ports via the
>>> motherboard header but not on the front ports.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? I'm stumped with this one. Could the drive be grounding
>>> the port somehow? It's surrounded by nothing but plastic so I don't
>>> think it could be that.
>>>
>>> I've got a Gigabyte GA-7VA motherboard, running winXP pro.
>>>
>>> any suggestions appreciated.
>>>
>>> matt
>>
>> try swapping over the headers.........
>>

> Tried that already, as i said in the last sentence of the second
> paragraph, with no difference.
>
> thanks for the reply tho.
>
> matt

It sounds as though one of the pins is not being addressed. Wire missing? An
open circuit? I would contact the manufacturer/importer of the third party
header and ask them if they know of any problems.

One way to know for sure would be to do a continuity test on the stock
wiring versus the third party port wiring. That should tell it all, since
everything should be passive with no active circuitry in the third party
hardware.

Ed Cregger
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 10:26:27 PM

Ed Cregger wrote:

> "Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@@bmail.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>"Gomma Pyle" <Gomma@Pylebtinternet.com> wrote in
>>news:D 62gic$pek$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:
>>

>>>"Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@@bmail.com.au> wrote in message

>>>try swapping over the headers.........
>>>

>>Tried that already, as i said in the last sentence of the second
>>paragraph, with no difference.
>>
>>thanks for the reply tho.
>>
>>matt
>

> It sounds as though one of the pins is not being addressed. Wire missing? An
> open circuit? I would contact the manufacturer/importer of the third party
> header and ask them if they know of any problems.
>
> One way to know for sure would be to do a continuity test on the stock
> wiring versus the third party port wiring. That should tell it all, since
> everything should be passive with no active circuitry in the third party
> hardware.
>
> Ed Cregger

Seeing as other devices work okay, it must be that the jump drive cannot
source enough power from the front USB connectors. The camera, for
example, might get power from its battery?
Anyway, I'd follow Ed's suggestion and check that the power rails are
connected. You should have four connections for each port. Two data, one
vcc and one ground.

Jonathan.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 10:26:28 PM

"Jonathan Oakley" <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> Ed Cregger wrote:
>
>> "Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@@bmail.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Gomma Pyle" <Gomma@Pylebtinternet.com> wrote in
>>>news:D 62gic$pek$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

>>>Tried that already, as i said in the last sentence of the second
>>>paragraph, with no difference.
>>>
>>>thanks for the reply tho.
>>>
>>>matt
>>

>> It sounds as though one of the pins is not being addressed. Wire missing?
>> An open circuit? I would contact the manufacturer/importer of the third
>> party header and ask them if they know of any problems.
>>
>> One way to know for sure would be to do a continuity test on the stock
>> wiring versus the third party port wiring. That should tell it all, since
>> everything should be passive with no active circuitry in the third party
>> hardware.
>>
>> Ed Cregger
>
> Seeing as other devices work okay, it must be that the jump drive cannot
> source enough power from the front USB connectors. The camera, for
> example, might get power from its battery?
> Anyway, I'd follow Ed's suggestion and check that the power rails are
> connected. You should have four connections for each port. Two data, one
> vcc and one ground.
>
> Jonathan.

I think Johnathan is onto it.

Ed Cregger
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 10:54:09 PM

Matt Lobegeiger wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I've got a strange USB problem. I just installed a FrontX dual usb plug
> onto the front of my case. It's an internal plug model so it plugs into
> the motherboard header. This has brought my number of USB ports up to 6.
> Two directly off the motherboard, two on a rear panel via a motherboard
> header and the above mentioned two on the front of the case via the
> second motherboard header.
>
> Now everything's working fine except my Lexar Jumpdrive (flash drive)
> will work in all four rear ports but not in the two new front ports.
> I've tried other devices like my digital camera and modem and they work
> fine in the front ports. I've tried the jumpdive on other PCs and it's
> fine. I've tried switching the two motherboard header plugs with no
> difference.
>
> I've searched the microsoft site looking for known problems with this
> device and found nothing. I've tried reinstalling my USB 2.0 drivers
> with no difference. The jumpdrive is hi-speed (usb 2.0) and so are all 6
> ports. I've tried the drive on a low-speed port on another computer and
> it was fine.
>
> It's just so weird that it works fine on the rear ports via the
> motherboard header but not on the front ports.
>
> Any ideas? I'm stumped with this one. Could the drive be grounding the
> port somehow? It's surrounded by nothing but plastic so I don't think it
> could be that.
>
> I've got a Gigabyte GA-7VA motherboard, running winXP pro.
>
> any suggestions appreciated.
>
> matt

Go into Device Manager and see what the power available vs power used is
for the USB hubs. I.E. does it show enough power available for the jump
drive and does it show the jump drive using power?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2005 2:51:01 AM

"Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@@bmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
> I've got a strange USB problem. I just installed a FrontX dual usb plug
> onto the front of my case. It's an internal plug model so it plugs into
> the motherboard header. This has brought my number of USB ports up to 6.
> Two directly off the motherboard, two on a rear panel via a motherboard
> header and the above mentioned two on the front of the case via the
> second motherboard header.
>
> Now everything's working fine except my Lexar Jumpdrive (flash drive)
> will work in all four rear ports but not in the two new front ports.
> I've tried other devices like my digital camera and modem and they work
> fine in the front ports. I've tried the jumpdive on other PCs and it's
> fine. I've tried switching the two motherboard header plugs with no
> difference.
>
> I've searched the microsoft site looking for known problems with this
> device and found nothing. I've tried reinstalling my USB 2.0 drivers
> with no difference. The jumpdrive is hi-speed (usb 2.0) and so are all 6
> ports. I've tried the drive on a low-speed port on another computer and
> it was fine.
>
> It's just so weird that it works fine on the rear ports via the
> motherboard header but not on the front ports.
>
> Any ideas? I'm stumped with this one. Could the drive be grounding the
> port somehow? It's surrounded by nothing but plastic so I don't think it
> could be that.
>
> I've got a Gigabyte GA-7VA motherboard, running winXP pro.
>
> any suggestions appreciated.
>
> matt

Check to see what IRQ that usb port is on and what its being shared with. If
its something you can disable it'd be easy to check. I recently had to move
my ATI Remote Wonder from one port to another(both on back) because of IRQ
sharing. May not be your problem but should be relatively painless to try.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2005 5:18:55 AM

"Ed Cregger" <ecregger@homtail.com> wrote in
news:D 62uf70n33@enews3.newsguy.com:

> "Jonathan Oakley" <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ed Cregger wrote:
>>
>>> "Matt Lobegeiger" <mattl@@bmail.com.au> wrote in message

>>> It sounds as though one of the pins is not being addressed. Wire
>>> missing? An open circuit? I would contact the manufacturer/importer
>>> of the third party header and ask them if they know of any problems.
>>>
>>> One way to know for sure would be to do a continuity test on the
>>> stock wiring versus the third party port wiring. That should tell it
>>> all, since everything should be passive with no active circuitry in
>>> the third party hardware.
>>>
>>> Ed Cregger
>>
>> Seeing as other devices work okay, it must be that the jump drive
>> cannot source enough power from the front USB connectors. The camera,
>> for example, might get power from its battery?
>> Anyway, I'd follow Ed's suggestion and check that the power rails are
>> connected. You should have four connections for each port. Two data,
>> one vcc and one ground.
>>
>> Jonathan.
>

> I think Johnathan is onto it.
>
> Ed Cregger

Yeah, definately sounds possible. I have checked the pin assignments to
make sure the plug and header match, but I might pull the plug apart to
make sure all the connectors are set correctly.

Thanks heaps guys, I'll check that out.

matt
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2005 5:21:42 AM

David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote in

> Matt Lobegeiger wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>> I've got a strange USB problem. I just installed a FrontX dual usb
>> plug onto the front of my case. It's an internal plug model so it
>> plugs into the motherboard header. This has brought my number of USB
>> ports up to 6. Two directly off the motherboard, two on a rear panel
>> via a motherboard header and the above mentioned two on the front of
>> the case via the second motherboard header.
>>
>> Now everything's working fine except my Lexar Jumpdrive (flash drive)
>> will work in all four rear ports but not in the two new front ports.
>> I've tried other devices like my digital camera and modem and they
>> work fine in the front ports. I've tried the jumpdive on other PCs
>> and it's fine. I've tried switching the two motherboard header plugs
>> with no difference.
>>
>> I've searched the microsoft site looking for known problems with this
>> device and found nothing. I've tried reinstalling my USB 2.0 drivers
>> with no difference. The jumpdrive is hi-speed (usb 2.0) and so are
>> all 6 ports. I've tried the drive on a low-speed port on another
>> computer and it was fine.
>>
>> It's just so weird that it works fine on the rear ports via the
>> motherboard header but not on the front ports.
>>
>> Any ideas? I'm stumped with this one. Could the drive be grounding
>> the port somehow? It's surrounded by nothing but plastic so I don't
>> think it could be that.
>>
>> I've got a Gigabyte GA-7VA motherboard, running winXP pro.
>>
>> any suggestions appreciated.
>>
>> matt
>
> Go into Device Manager and see what the power available vs power used
> is for the USB hubs. I.E. does it show enough power available for the
> jump drive and does it show the jump drive using power?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into them.

matt
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2005 8:16:48 AM

> "Ed Cregger" <ecregger@homtail.com> wrote in
> news:D 62uf70n33@enews3.newsguy.com:
>

>> "Jonathan Oakley" <jonathan.oakleyNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Seeing as other devices work okay, it must be that the jump drive
>>> cannot source enough power from the front USB connectors. The
>>> camera, for example, might get power from its battery?
>>> Anyway, I'd follow Ed's suggestion and check that the power rails
>>> are connected. You should have four connections for each port. Two
>>> data, one vcc and one ground.
>>>
>>> Jonathan.
>>

>> I think Johnathan is onto it.
>>
>> Ed Cregger
>>

> Yeah, definately sounds possible. I have checked the pin assignments
> to make sure the plug and header match, but I might pull the plug
> apart to make sure all the connectors are set correctly.
>
> Thanks heaps guys, I'll check that out.
>
> matt

Yep, that was the problem. The System Ground wire was loose and pulled
out of the back of the plug easily. I reset it in the plug and it works
fine now.

Thanks heaps guys, you're dead-set champions.

matt
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2005 8:15:15 AM

As mentioned it's not enabled (the extra 2 USB ports) or the V2 driver
is not installed, it's usually on the boards disk.

Some hardware will share IRQ's no matter what, if after installing the
USB and it still don't work try moving the conflicting hardware.
!