NT domain upgrade to W2k

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation (More info?)

I upgraded in a test lab, a NT domain called domain to w2k, during the
upgrade it runs dcpromo and I created a new domain name called domain2.
This domain2 is a child of an existing domain called master. When I login
to the upgraded domain the login screen still shows the old NT domain name
in the W2k login page. If I look at ADUC I see the correct names.
This server also has Exchange 5.5 on it. In the Exchange admin the users
still show the old NT domain name for the primary windows nt account.
I also installed a Exchange 2000 server into the same exchange site, and I'm
not able to see the exchange attributes of the 5.5 users, so I can't move
the mailboxes to the Exchange/ Windows 2000 server.
I'd expect that the domain name problem is causing the Exchange issue? So
how do I resolve the domain name issue from still showing the old nt domain
name and not the new upgraded w2k domain name?

thanks
John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation (More info?)

John M,
There is a NetBIOS Domain and DNS Domain Name, Exchange 5.5 is not
integrated with AD, You have to use Active Directory Connector.

--
Regards
Christoffer Andersson

"John M" <sdkfj@microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I upgraded in a test lab, a NT domain called domain to w2k, during the
> upgrade it runs dcpromo and I created a new domain name called domain2.
> This domain2 is a child of an existing domain called master. When I login
> to the upgraded domain the login screen still shows the old NT domain name
> in the W2k login page. If I look at ADUC I see the correct names.
> This server also has Exchange 5.5 on it. In the Exchange admin the users
> still show the old NT domain name for the primary windows nt account.
> I also installed a Exchange 2000 server into the same exchange site, and
I'm
> not able to see the exchange attributes of the 5.5 users, so I can't move
> the mailboxes to the Exchange/ Windows 2000 server.
> I'd expect that the domain name problem is causing the Exchange issue? So
> how do I resolve the domain name issue from still showing the old nt
domain
> name and not the new upgraded w2k domain name?
>
> thanks
> John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation (More info?)

I installed the ADC , but now the accounts do not replicate and get error
8275 and I looked that error up with
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293474
seems there is the domain name problem
how do I fix the netbios domain name to the correct name?

"Chriss3" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> John M,
> There is a NetBIOS Domain and DNS Domain Name, Exchange 5.5 is not
> integrated with AD, You have to use Active Directory Connector.
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "John M" <sdkfj@microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > I upgraded in a test lab, a NT domain called domain to w2k, during the
> > upgrade it runs dcpromo and I created a new domain name called domain2.
> > This domain2 is a child of an existing domain called master. When I
login
> > to the upgraded domain the login screen still shows the old NT domain
name
> > in the W2k login page. If I look at ADUC I see the correct names.
> > This server also has Exchange 5.5 on it. In the Exchange admin the
users
> > still show the old NT domain name for the primary windows nt account.
> > I also installed a Exchange 2000 server into the same exchange site, and
> I'm
> > not able to see the exchange attributes of the 5.5 users, so I can't
move
> > the mailboxes to the Exchange/ Windows 2000 server.
> > I'd expect that the domain name problem is causing the Exchange issue?
So
> > how do I resolve the domain name issue from still showing the old nt
> domain
> > name and not the new upgraded w2k domain name?
> >
> > thanks
> > John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation (More info?)

John M , what do you mean with the correct name? You always have to use a
Pre-Windows2000 Name (NetBIOS) and a DNS Name FQDN. You can't change domain
name in Windows2000 without demote the domain and rebuild it.

--

> I installed the ADC , but now the accounts do not replicate and get error
> 8275 and I looked that error up with
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293474
> seems there is the domain name problem
> how do I fix the netbios domain name to the correct name?
>
> "Chriss3" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> > John M,
> > There is a NetBIOS Domain and DNS Domain Name, Exchange 5.5 is not
> > integrated with AD, You have to use Active Directory Connector.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Christoffer Andersson
> >
> > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
> >
> > "John M" <sdkfj@microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > > I upgraded in a test lab, a NT domain called domain to w2k, during the
> > > upgrade it runs dcpromo and I created a new domain name called
domain2.
> > > This domain2 is a child of an existing domain called master. When I
> login
> > > to the upgraded domain the login screen still shows the old NT domain
> name
> > > in the W2k login page. If I look at ADUC I see the correct names.
> > > This server also has Exchange 5.5 on it. In the Exchange admin the
> users
> > > still show the old NT domain name for the primary windows nt account.
> > > I also installed a Exchange 2000 server into the same exchange site,
and
> > I'm
> > > not able to see the exchange attributes of the 5.5 users, so I can't
> move
> > > the mailboxes to the Exchange/ Windows 2000 server.
> > > I'd expect that the domain name problem is causing the Exchange issue?
> So
> > > how do I resolve the domain name issue from still showing the old nt
> > domain
> > > name and not the new upgraded w2k domain name?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.exchange.admin (More info?)

the pre-w2k name is wrong
The nt domain was called domain
during the upgrade to windows 2k I made a new domain called
domain2.master.com
master.com already exists

I'm still seeing the nt domain called domain
the computer name is server.domain2.master.com
at the login screen I still see domain and not domain2
In Exchange 5.5 admin it stll shows domain and not domain2

> John M , what do you mean with the correct name? You always have to use a
> Pre-Windows2000 Name (NetBIOS) and a DNS Name FQDN. You can't change
domain
> name in Windows2000 without demote the domain and rebuild it.
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "John M" <sdkfj@microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > I installed the ADC , but now the accounts do not replicate and get
error
> > 8275 and I looked that error up with
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293474
> > seems there is the domain name problem
> > how do I fix the netbios domain name to the correct name?
> >
> > "Chriss3" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> > > John M,
> > > There is a NetBIOS Domain and DNS Domain Name, Exchange 5.5 is not
> > > integrated with AD, You have to use Active Directory Connector.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Christoffer Andersson
> > >
> > > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> > > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
> > >
> > > "John M" <sdkfj@microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> domain2.
> > login
> > name
> > users
> and
> > > I'm
> > move
> > So
> > > domain

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.exchange.admin (More info?)

Okay, Sorry to say its a hard mistake, you have to demote the domain and
begin from the beginning. You can install another Windows2000 Domain with
correct name and migrate over rescoures.

--

> the pre-w2k name is wrong
> The nt domain was called domain
> during the upgrade to windows 2k I made a new domain called
> domain2.master.com
> master.com already exists
>
> I'm still seeing the nt domain called domain
> the computer name is server.domain2.master.com
> at the login screen I still see domain and not domain2
> In Exchange 5.5 admin it stll shows domain and not domain2
>
> "Chriss3" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> > John M , what do you mean with the correct name? You always have to use
> > Pre-Windows2000 Name (NetBIOS) and a DNS Name FQDN. You can't change
> domain
> > name in Windows2000 without demote the domain and rebuild it.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Christoffer Andersson
> >
> > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
> >
> > "John M" <sdkfj@microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > > I installed the ADC , but now the accounts do not replicate and get
> error
> > > 8275 and I looked that error up with
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293474
> > > seems there is the domain name problem
> > > how do I fix the netbios domain name to the correct name?
> > >
> > > "Chriss3" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message

> the
> > domain2.
> > > login
> domain
> > > name
> > > users
> account.
> > and
> > > move
> issue?
> > > So

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.exchange.admin (More info?)

think the ADC will work in this config or did I break it?

> Okay, Sorry to say its a hard mistake, you have to demote the domain and
> begin from the beginning. You can install another Windows2000 Domain with
> correct name and migrate over rescoures.
>
> --
> Regards
> Christoffer Andersson
>
> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
>
> "John M" <sdkfj@microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > the pre-w2k name is wrong
> > The nt domain was called domain
> > during the upgrade to windows 2k I made a new domain called
> > domain2.master.com
> > master.com already exists
> >
> > I'm still seeing the nt domain called domain
> > the computer name is server.domain2.master.com
> > at the login screen I still see domain and not domain2
> > In Exchange 5.5 admin it stll shows domain and not domain2
> >
> > "Chriss3" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> > > John M , what do you mean with the correct name? You always have to
use
> > > Pre-Windows2000 Name (NetBIOS) and a DNS Name FQDN. You can't change
> > domain
> > > name in Windows2000 without demote the domain and rebuild it.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Christoffer Andersson
> > >
> > > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> > > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
> > >
> > > "John M" <sdkfj@microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > error

> > the
> > > domain2.
When
> > domain
> the
> > account.
> site,
> > > and
> can't
> > issue?
> nt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.exchange.admin (More info?)

The NetBIOS Name can be diffrent from the FQDN (domain.xxx) How ever there
can not be more than one domain with same NetBIOS name on the network,
remove the old one, take it offline.

--

> think the ADC will work in this config or did I break it?
>
> "Chriss3" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> > Okay, Sorry to say its a hard mistake, you have to demote the domain and
> > begin from the beginning. You can install another Windows2000 Domain
with
> > correct name and migrate over rescoures.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Christoffer Andersson
> >
> > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
> > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
> >
> > "John M" <sdkfj@microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
> > > the pre-w2k name is wrong
> > > The nt domain was called domain
> > > during the upgrade to windows 2k I made a new domain called
> > > domain2.master.com
> > > master.com already exists
> > >
> > > I'm still seeing the nt domain called domain
> > > the computer name is server.domain2.master.com
> > > at the login screen I still see domain and not domain2
> > > In Exchange 5.5 admin it stll shows domain and not domain2
> > >
> > > "Chriss3" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
> use
> > > domain

> > > error

> during
> > > the
> When
> > > domain
> names.
> > the
> > > account.
> > site,
> > can't
Exchange
> > > issue?
> old
> > nt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,microsoft.public.exchange2000.setup.installation,microsoft.public.exchange.admin (More info?)

so why am I getting the ADC Warning 8275 both the 5.5 and 2000 server are in
the same domain, but if I look at the error the location it's tiring to copy
the user config is not in the correct domain, even though the adc is
configured correctly.