How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2005 6:33:37 AM

How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??

I just need it for a webcam. Which wont be in the PC room. Which is
about 15 metres away is the distance to where i want to place it.

Would their be any problems ??

The webcam is a USB 2 Device Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 if thats any
help :)

Thanks.
May 14, 2005 6:33:38 AM

I think the MAX is 16ft.
a USB cable is good until the insulation is split or the connector ends are
damaged. They don't necessarily wear out from use, more from damaged done to
them physically.

"Paul GoodBar" <1@abc.com> wrote in message

> How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??
>

> I just need it for a webcam. Which wont be in the PC room. Which is
> about 15 metres away is the distance to where i want to place it.
>
> Would their be any problems ??
>
> The webcam is a USB 2 Device Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 if thats any
> help :)
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2005 6:33:38 AM

Hi Paul, Google for `USB cable length` and read the articles you find there,
they`ll bring you up to speed Someone tells you you can increase distance
with hubs, but I think they have to be powered. best wishes..J

"Paul GoodBar" <1@abc.com> wrote in message

> How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??
>

> I just need it for a webcam. Which wont be in the PC room. Which is
> about 15 metres away is the distance to where i want to place it.
>
> Would their be any problems ??
>
> The webcam is a USB 2 Device Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 if thats any
> help :)
>
> Thanks.

a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2005 6:33:38 AM

You could use wireless instead.

"Paul GoodBar" <1@abc.com> wrote in message

> How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??
>

> I just need it for a webcam. Which wont be in the PC room. Which is
> about 15 metres away is the distance to where i want to place it.
>
> Would their be any problems ??
>
> The webcam is a USB 2 Device Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 if thats any
> help :)
>
> Thanks.

May 14, 2005 6:33:39 AM

I have no idea why I typed the 'damaged' cable sentence..........LOL
senility is kreepin in.....

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> I think the MAX is 16ft.
> a USB cable is good until the insulation is split or the connector ends
are
> damaged. They don't necessarily wear out from use, more from damaged done
> them physically.
>

> "Paul GoodBar" <1@abc.com> wrote in message
> >

> > How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??
> >

> > I just need it for a webcam. Which wont be in the PC room. Which is
> > about 15 metres away is the distance to where i want to place it.
> >
> > Would their be any problems ??
> >
> > The webcam is a USB 2 Device Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 if thats any
> > help :)
> >
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2005 7:29:42 AM

kind of confused me too. never heard oif that ?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:19:54 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
wrote:

>I have no idea why I typed the 'damaged' cable sentence..........LOL
>senility is kreepin in.....
>
>"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> I think the MAX is 16ft.
>> a USB cable is good until the insulation is split or the connector ends
>are
>> damaged. They don't necessarily wear out from use, more from damaged done
>> them physically.
>>

>> "Paul GoodBar" <1@abc.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??
>> >

>> > I just need it for a webcam. Which wont be in the PC room. Which is
>> > about 15 metres away is the distance to where i want to place it.
>> >
>> > Would their be any problems ??
>> >
>> > The webcam is a USB 2 Device Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 if thats any
>> > help :)
>> >
>> > Thanks.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2005 7:32:20 AM

JAD hows this am i right or wrong ??

So if i put one of these cables inbetween 2 five metre cables i can do
15 metres ??

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4284e1150b...

Or i could only use it connected to a 5 metre cable from my PC and
then connect that cable to give me 10 metres ? ?

Confused. Help me please :)

/Ps i think i need another 5 metres, so i guess i would need one more
of those bester cables right ?

Thanks.

wrote:

>I have no idea why I typed the 'damaged' cable sentence..........LOL
>senility is kreepin in.....
>
>"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> I think the MAX is 16ft.
>> a USB cable is good until the insulation is split or the connector ends
>are
>> damaged. They don't necessarily wear out from use, more from damaged done
>> them physically.
>>

>> "Paul GoodBar" <1@abc.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??
>> >

>> > I just need it for a webcam. Which wont be in the PC room. Which is
>> > about 15 metres away is the distance to where i want to place it.
>> >
>> > Would their be any problems ??
>> >
>> > The webcam is a USB 2 Device Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 if thats any
>> > help :)
>> >
>> > Thanks.

May 14, 2005 7:32:21 AM

yea you should be fine. I have a 4 ft cable attached to my camera (creative)
and a 10ft extension, all works fine.

> JAD hows this am i right or wrong ??
>

> So if i put one of these cables inbetween 2 five metre cables i can do
> 15 metres ??
>
> http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4284e1150b...
>

> Or i could only use it connected to a 5 metre cable from my PC and
> then connect that cable to give me 10 metres ? ?
>
> Confused. Help me please :)
>

> /Ps i think i need another 5 metres, so i guess i would need one more
> of those bester cables right ?
>

> Thanks.
>

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:19:54 -0700, "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I have no idea why I typed the 'damaged' cable sentence..........LOL
>>senility is kreepin in.....
>>
>>"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>>> I think the MAX is 16ft.
>>> a USB cable is good until the insulation is split or the connector ends
>>are
>>> damaged. They don't necessarily wear out from use, more from damaged
>>> done
>>> them physically.
>>>

>>> "Paul GoodBar" <1@abc.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2005 7:28:55 PM

Any Wirless Logitech Webcams or anyone make them ?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:40:22 GMT, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>You could use wireless instead.
>
>"Paul GoodBar" <1@abc.com> wrote in message
>>

>> How long can a USB cable be and still work good ??
>>

>> I just need it for a webcam. Which wont be in the PC room. Which is
>> about 15 metres away is the distance to where i want to place it.
>>
>> Would their be any problems ??
>>
>> The webcam is a USB 2 Device Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 if thats any
>> help :)
>>
>> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2005 7:36:22 PM

I have read up. I asume i just need a active repeater cable thing 5
metrers. Just add that to another 5 metre cable and iam set. I
measured it preperly and i only need 10 metres. that with the webcam
cable should be sweet :)

The thing is not sure if i need it to be powered and if so how does it
be powered unless i plug the hub in the middle of the cable into a 12
volt powersourse ??? Iam asuuming the PC hub must be powered. Which i
asume it is as its a card pluged into the mobo.

Thanks.

!