LSASS.EXE high and Server will not Delete from Domain

I wanted to delete a computer from the domain (in order to re-add it as the
PDC for a Win2K upgrade), but when I try and delete the computer it will
remove from srvmgr.exe

Subsequent deletes say it will be removed in 15 minutes. (it's been 10
hours). It can no longer logged in but it will not go!

LSASS.exe on the server is running at about 15% utilization? I have checked
for viruses.

How can I delete the computer?
Is there anyway of checking what is happening, like Novell DS debugger?

Regards
Tony

Is this a current domain controller? Let me make sure you understand you
cannot add a PDC back into a domain, even if you choose the same name and
domain name it will be a completely new domain. You must add it as a BDC
then promote it to PDC once it is up. What role does this machine hold that
you are trying to delete?

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"msnews.microsoft.com" <tony@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I wanted to delete a computer from the domain (in order to re-add it as
the
> PDC for a Win2K upgrade), but when I try and delete the computer it will
> remove from srvmgr.exe
>
> Subsequent deletes say it will be removed in 15 minutes. (it's been 10
> hours). It can no longer logged in but it will not go!
>
> LSASS.exe on the server is running at about 15% utilization? I have
checked
> for viruses.
>
> How can I delete the computer?
> Is there anyway of checking what is happening, like Novell DS debugger?
>
> Regards
> Tony

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

It is a member server.

As I understand it the option to add as a BDC is on the actual add. This
was a new server installed with NT4 purely for the purpose of a Win2K
upgrade. I want to add it as a BDC to ensure it is set-up correctly.

Tony

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is this a current domain controller? Let me make sure you understand you
> cannot add a PDC back into a domain, even if you choose the same name and
> domain name it will be a completely new domain. You must add it as a BDC
> then promote it to PDC once it is up. What role does this machine hold
that
> you are trying to delete?
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "msnews.microsoft.com" <tony@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > I wanted to delete a computer from the domain (in order to re-add it as
> the
> > PDC for a Win2K upgrade), but when I try and delete the computer it will
> > remove from srvmgr.exe
> >
> > Subsequent deletes say it will be removed in 15 minutes. (it's been 10
> > hours). It can no longer logged in but it will not go!
> >
> > LSASS.exe on the server is running at about 15% utilization? I have
> checked
> > for viruses.
> >
> > How can I delete the computer?
> > Is there anyway of checking what is happening, like Novell DS debugger?
> >
> > Regards
> > Tony

You have to choose BDC during installation. You will have to reinstall the
box to make it a BDC anyways so why not just blow it away and start over?

--

"Tony" <tony@nospam.net> wrote in message
> It is a member server.
>
> As I understand it the option to add as a BDC is on the actual add. This
> was a new server installed with NT4 purely for the purpose of a Win2K
> upgrade. I want to add it as a BDC to ensure it is set-up correctly.
>
> Tony
>

> "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
message
> > Is this a current domain controller? Let me make sure you understand you
> > cannot add a PDC back into a domain, even if you choose the same name
and
> > domain name it will be a completely new domain. You must add it as a BDC
> > then promote it to PDC once it is up. What role does this machine hold
> that
> > you are trying to delete?
> >
> > --
> > Scott Harding
> > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
> >
> > "msnews.microsoft.com" <tony@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > > I wanted to delete a computer from the domain (in order to re-add it
as
> > the
> > > PDC for a Win2K upgrade), but when I try and delete the computer it
will
> > > remove from srvmgr.exe
> > >
> > > Subsequent deletes say it will be removed in 15 minutes. (it's been
10
> > > hours). It can no longer logged in but it will not go!
> > >
> > > LSASS.exe on the server is running at about 15% utilization? I have
> > checked
> > > for viruses.
> > >
> > > How can I delete the computer?
> > > Is there anyway of checking what is happening, like Novell DS
debugger?

> > > Regards
> > > Tony

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

No Problem, will do.

But should I choose an alternate server name? The server name (LISA)
remains in server manager even when the server has been off for 2 hours.

Tony

PS Thanks very much for your assistance.

> You have to choose BDC during installation. You will have to reinstall the
> box to make it a BDC anyways so why not just blow it away and start over?
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "Tony" <tony@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > It is a member server.
> >
> > As I understand it the option to add as a BDC is on the actual add.
This
> > was a new server installed with NT4 purely for the purpose of a Win2K
> > upgrade. I want to add it as a BDC to ensure it is set-up correctly.
> >
> > Tony
> >

> > "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
> > > Is this a current domain controller? Let me make sure you understand
you
> > > cannot add a PDC back into a domain, even if you choose the same name
> and
> > > domain name it will be a completely new domain. You must add it as a
BDC
> > > then promote it to PDC once it is up. What role does this machine hold
> > that
> > > you are trying to delete?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Scott Harding
> > > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> > > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
> > >
> > > "msnews.microsoft.com" <tony@nospam.net> wrote in message
> as
> > > the
> will

> 10

> > > checked

> debugger?

Is this name still in WINS somewhere? If your not tied to that name I would
give it a new one but most likely it is somewhere else and that is why it is
still showing up.

--

> No Problem, will do.
>
> But should I choose an alternate server name? The server name (LISA)
> remains in server manager even when the server has been off for 2 hours.
>
> Tony
>
> PS Thanks very much for your assistance.
>
> "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
message
> > You have to choose BDC during installation. You will have to reinstall
the
> > box to make it a BDC anyways so why not just blow it away and start
over?

> > --
> > Scott Harding
> > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
> >
> > "Tony" <tony@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > > It is a member server.
> > >
> > > As I understand it the option to add as a BDC is on the actual add.
> This
> > > was a new server installed with NT4 purely for the purpose of a Win2K
> > > upgrade. I want to add it as a BDC to ensure it is set-up correctly.
> > >
> > > Tony
> > >

> > > "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
> > message
> you
> > and
> BDC
> > > that

> > as
> > will

> > 10

> > debugger?

Sorted. Reinstalled the computer within an alternate Computer Name and
after about 2 hours the old machine name vanished and the new appeared as a
Backup Domain controller.

Now just need to promote it.

One Last question, the Event Viewer shows partial syncs. How do I tell if a
complete sync has been performed?

Thanks

> Is this name still in WINS somewhere? If your not tied to that name I
would
> give it a new one but most likely it is somewhere else and that is why it
is
> still showing up.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>
> "Tony" <tony@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > No Problem, will do.
> >
> > But should I choose an alternate server name? The server name (LISA)
> > remains in server manager even when the server has been off for 2 hours.
> >
> > Tony
> >
> > PS Thanks very much for your assistance.
> >
> > "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
> > > You have to choose BDC during installation. You will have to reinstall
> the
> > > box to make it a BDC anyways so why not just blow it away and start
> over?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Scott Harding
> > > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+