Hardware for recording from and to VHS as well as DVD edit..

Hi all,

I'm hoping some of the folks here can help point me in the right
direction. My wife needs to be able to:

1 - convert old VHS copies of presentations to DVD
2 - edit clips from VHS films and television recordings on VHS
3 - create presentations using clips from both VHS and DVD
4 - on some occaisons, export clips that she's been editting on her PC
back to VHS

A DVD burner (we have a pioneer 107 in an external housing with Ulead
DVD Movie Factory 3 Software) and a video capture device, such as this
one from Belkin:

http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00006112

would probably be adequate for the first three requirements (given
appropriate software, it comes with Ulead VideoStudio 6.0 SE, some
recommendations would be appreciated here). However, I don't think that
the Belkin device can export back to VHS.

So, I'm thinking I'll need to get a PCI card with video capture and
video out capabilities...but I have no clue as to where to start! She
doesn't need a TV tuner card, as her PC is in a room far from this
home's only aerial jack, and recording new broadcasts to VHS is adequate
for her (and what she's used to). Can anyone provide some advice to help
get me started on deciding the right add on card for her PC to
accomplish the tasks listed above?

I've had some recommendations to just get her a new, low end video card
with TV out for recording from the PC to VHS. It's also been suggested
that I get a low end TV tuner card for input from the VCR, and that
these will be all the hardware I need to get her going.

TIA,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

peter

In article <42872cfc$1@quokka.wn.com.au>, spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com
says...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm hoping some of the folks here can help point me in the right
> direction. My wife needs to be able to:
>
> 1 - convert old VHS copies of presentations to DVD
> 2 - edit clips from VHS films and television recordings on VHS
> 3 - create presentations using clips from both VHS and DVD
> 4 - on some occaisons, export clips that she's been editting on her PC
> back to VHS
>
> A DVD burner (we have a pioneer 107 in an external housing with Ulead
> DVD Movie Factory 3 Software) and a video capture device, such as this
> one from Belkin:
>
> http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00006112
>
> would probably be adequate for the first three requirements (given
> appropriate software, it comes with Ulead VideoStudio 6.0 SE, some
> recommendations would be appreciated here). However, I don't think that
> the Belkin device can export back to VHS.
>
> So, I'm thinking I'll need to get a PCI card with video capture and
> video out capabilities...but I have no clue as to where to start! She
> doesn't need a TV tuner card, as her PC is in a room far from this
> home's only aerial jack, and recording new broadcasts to VHS is adequate
> for her (and what she's used to). Can anyone provide some advice to help
> get me started on deciding the right add on card for her PC to
> accomplish the tasks listed above?
>
> I've had some recommendations to just get her a new, low end video card
> with TV out for recording from the PC to VHS. It's also been suggested
> that I get a low end TV tuner card for input from the VCR, and that
> these will be all the hardware I need to get her going.

If your current graphics card has s-video and your VHS has those video
and audio sockets (red, yellow and white) couldn't you try getting an s-
video lead and seeing what that looks like when recording. I've done
this method when sending the video signal directly to a TV and although
the picture quality wasn't fantastic for the desktop display, the actual
moving picture quality wasn't too bad.

If sound is required then you would also take the sound from the
soundcards output into the audio left and right channels.

--
Pete Ives

On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:02:48 +0800 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote :

>Hi all,
>
>I'm hoping some of the folks here can help point me in the right
>direction. My wife needs to be able to:
>
>1 - convert old VHS copies of presentations to DVD
>2 - edit clips from VHS films and television recordings on VHS
>3 - create presentations using clips from both VHS and DVD
>4 - on some occaisons, export clips that she's been editting on her PC
>back to VHS
>
>A DVD burner (we have a pioneer 107 in an external housing with Ulead
>DVD Movie Factory 3 Software) and a video capture device, such as this
>one from Belkin:
>
>http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00006112
>
>would probably be adequate for the first three requirements (given
>appropriate software, it comes with Ulead VideoStudio 6.0 SE, some
>recommendations would be appreciated here). However, I don't think that
>the Belkin device can export back to VHS.
>
>So, I'm thinking I'll need to get a PCI card with video capture and
>video out capabilities...but I have no clue as to where to start! She
>doesn't need a TV tuner card, as her PC is in a room far from this
>home's only aerial jack, and recording new broadcasts to VHS is adequate
>for her (and what she's used to). Can anyone provide some advice to help
>get me started on deciding the right add on card for her PC to
>accomplish the tasks listed above?
>
>I've had some recommendations to just get her a new, low end video card
>with TV out for recording from the PC to VHS. It's also been suggested
>that I get a low end TV tuner card for input from the VCR, and that
>these will be all the hardware I need to get her going.
>
>TIA,
>
>Ari

http://www.cdrfaq.org/
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Shep© wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:02:48 +0800 If I have seen farther it is
> because I have stood on the shoulder of giants spodosaurus
> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote :
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm hoping some of the folks here can help point me in the right
>>direction. My wife needs to be able to:
>>
>>1 - convert old VHS copies of presentations to DVD
>>2 - edit clips from VHS films and television recordings on VHS
>>3 - create presentations using clips from both VHS and DVD
>>4 - on some occaisons, export clips that she's been editting on her PC
>>back to VHS
>>
>>A DVD burner (we have a pioneer 107 in an external housing with Ulead
>>DVD Movie Factory 3 Software) and a video capture device, such as this
>>one from Belkin:
>>
>>http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00006112
>>
>>would probably be adequate for the first three requirements (given
>>appropriate software, it comes with Ulead VideoStudio 6.0 SE, some
>>recommendations would be appreciated here). However, I don't think that
>>the Belkin device can export back to VHS.
>>
>>So, I'm thinking I'll need to get a PCI card with video capture and
>>video out capabilities...but I have no clue as to where to start! She
>>doesn't need a TV tuner card, as her PC is in a room far from this
>>home's only aerial jack, and recording new broadcasts to VHS is adequate
>>for her (and what she's used to). Can anyone provide some advice to help
>>get me started on deciding the right add on card for her PC to
>>accomplish the tasks listed above?
>>
>>I've had some recommendations to just get her a new, low end video card
>>with TV out for recording from the PC to VHS. It's also been suggested
>>that I get a low end TV tuner card for input from the VCR, and that
>>these will be all the hardware I need to get her going.
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>Ari
>

> http://www.cdrfaq.org/
> http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
>
> HTH :)

Ummm...neither of those really applied...

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Apparently the Compro Videomate Live USB 2.0 device would have met my
needs very well...unfortunately it is no longer being made! Argh!

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/