NT DC willnot authenticate in 2003 DC..

all..

i have 2 domains NT and 2003... trying to have standard users authenticate in either is having issues.. i get logon issues when i try to have user go from nt to 2003 by way of either net neighborhood or unc.. i can to from dc to dc.. but dc to member server is not working.. the user will not authenticate.. logon states that there is not a logon server available..

Do you have a trusts in place? Did you give the user form what domain access
to the other domain by the way of permissions. Simply setting up a trusts
does not give any access until you specify where and how. For example if you
want domain users from one side to access the other side you could add the
global domain users group from one domain into the local users group of the
other domain. This may be more access than you want but just an example.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"StamfordRob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> all..
>
> i have 2 domains NT and 2003... trying to have standard users authenticate
in either is having issues.. i get logon issues when i try to have user go
from nt to 2003 by way of either net neighborhood or unc.. i can to from dc
to dc.. but dc to member server is not working.. the user will not
authenticate.. logon states that there is not a logon server available..

The member servers must be able to resolve the domain name 1c
group name for DCs in order to find a logon server and access
resources in the W2k3 domain. Attempt to map to a share on
the W2k3 domain from the member server and immediately after
it fails open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c. Verify the domain
name 1c group name is in the list without conflict. What are you
using for name resolution?

"StamfordRob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i have 2 domains NT and 2003... trying to have standard users
authenticate in either is having issues.. i get logon issues when i try
to have user go from nt to 2003 by way of either net neighborhood or
unc.. i can to from dc to dc.. but dc to member server is not working..
the user will not authenticate.. logon states that there is not a logon
server available..

nbtstat -c.. no names in cache..

weirder.. i can go from (all non admin users) nt domain member server to 2003dc shares.. right in.. but cannot go from nt domain member server to 2003 domain member servers.. i get '\\<server> is not accessible. there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request."

i have 2 way trusts between both domains.. i have domain users in opposing local user groups..

My thought were more questions as needed more info. but wanted to provide
some ideas. Have you tried an Lmhosts file with the 1b entry for the each of
the PDC and PDC Emulator in Win2k?

--

> nbtstat -c.. no names in cache..
>
> weirder.. i can go from (all non admin users) nt domain member server to
2003dc shares.. right in.. but cannot go from nt domain member server to
2003 domain member servers.. i get '\\<server> is not accessible. there are
currently no logon servers available to service the logon request."

> i have 2 way trusts between both domains.. i have domain users in opposing
local user groups..

I have not tried the 1b or using 1c.. i am trying to stay away from locking in..

While your statement is quite valid it doesn't apply in this situation.
If it
did the error would be a permissions error not a name resolution error.

"Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
message
> Do you have a trusts in place? Did you give the user form what domain
access
> to the other domain by the way of permissions. Simply setting up a
trusts
> does not give any access until you specify where and how. For example
if you
> want domain users from one side to access the other side you could add
the
> global domain users group from one domain into the local users group
of the
> other domain. This may be more access than you want but just an
example.

DNS, DNS, what is your DNS setup.First question when two domains can not
find each other.You need a Primary DNS zone for each of your domains. That
means the NT too.
--
Yor Suiris
Remove the kNOT to reply.

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:%23bU27nQPEHA.632@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> The member servers must be able to resolve the domain name 1c
> group name for DCs in order to find a logon server and access
> resources in the W2k3 domain. Attempt to map to a share on
> the W2k3 domain from the member server and immediately after
> it fails open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c. Verify the domain
> name 1c group name is in the list without conflict. What are you
> using for name resolution?
>
> "StamfordRob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i have 2 domains NT and 2003... trying to have standard users
> authenticate in either is having issues.. i get logon issues when i try
> to have user go from nt to 2003 by way of either net neighborhood or
> unc.. i can to from dc to dc.. but dc to member server is not working..
> the user will not authenticate.. logon states that there is not a logon
> server available..

DNS..

I am currently using a DNS and Wins from another domain... I dont have this issue with any other domains.. Olny with the active directory domains.. this is in a test lab so i have multiple domains setup.. but this issue only arises with the active directory domains.

all network is pointing to the wins and dns.. all member servers are served the correct wins and dns with dhcp.. DCs are static.

I just removed all DNS entries from the 2003dc and still have this issue.. no changes..

You have to make a connection attempt before running the nbtstat -c
command because the cache will only be populated when a connection
attempt is made and lasts for 10 minutes by default.

"StamfordRob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> nbtstat -c.. no names in cache..
>
> weirder.. i can go from (all non admin users) nt domain member server
to 2003dc shares.. right in.. but cannot go from nt domain member server
to 2003 domain member servers.. i get '\\<server> is not accessible.
there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
request."

> i have 2 way trusts between both domains.. i have domain users in
opposing local user groups..

thats what i tried and it still came out no names in cache..

Are you sure the member server is pointing towards a WINS server?