NT DC willnot authenticate in 2003 DC..

all..

i have 2 domains NT and 2003... trying to have standard users authenticate in either is having issues.. i get logon issues when i try to have user go from nt to 2003 by way of either net neighborhood or unc.. i can to from dc to dc.. but dc to member server is not working.. the user will not authenticate.. logon states that there is not a logon server available..

More about willnot authenticate 2003

    Do you have a trusts in place? Did you give the user form what domain access
    to the other domain by the way of permissions. Simply setting up a trusts
    does not give any access until you specify where and how. For example if you
    want domain users from one side to access the other side you could add the
    global domain users group from one domain into the local users group of the
    other domain. This may be more access than you want but just an example.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "StamfordRob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > all..
    >
    > i have 2 domains NT and 2003... trying to have standard users authenticate
    in either is having issues.. i get logon issues when i try to have user go
    from nt to 2003 by way of either net neighborhood or unc.. i can to from dc
    to dc.. but dc to member server is not working.. the user will not
    authenticate.. logon states that there is not a logon server available..

    The member servers must be able to resolve the domain name 1c
    group name for DCs in order to find a logon server and access
    resources in the W2k3 domain. Attempt to map to a share on
    the W2k3 domain from the member server and immediately after
    it fails open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c. Verify the domain
    name 1c group name is in the list without conflict. What are you
    using for name resolution?

    "StamfordRob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i have 2 domains NT and 2003... trying to have standard users
    authenticate in either is having issues.. i get logon issues when i try
    to have user go from nt to 2003 by way of either net neighborhood or
    unc.. i can to from dc to dc.. but dc to member server is not working..
    the user will not authenticate.. logon states that there is not a logon
    server available..
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    nbtstat -c.. no names in cache..

    weirder.. i can go from (all non admin users) nt domain member server to 2003dc shares.. right in.. but cannot go from nt domain member server to 2003 domain member servers.. i get '\\<server> is not accessible. there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request."

    i have 2 way trusts between both domains.. i have domain users in opposing local user groups..
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    My thought were more questions as needed more info. but wanted to provide
    some ideas. Have you tried an Lmhosts file with the 1b entry for the each of
    the PDC and PDC Emulator in Win2k?

    --

    > nbtstat -c.. no names in cache..
    >
    > weirder.. i can go from (all non admin users) nt domain member server to
    2003dc shares.. right in.. but cannot go from nt domain member server to
    2003 domain member servers.. i get '\\<server> is not accessible. there are
    currently no logon servers available to service the logon request."

    > i have 2 way trusts between both domains.. i have domain users in opposing
    local user groups..
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I have not tried the 1b or using 1c.. i am trying to stay away from locking in..
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    While your statement is quite valid it doesn't apply in this situation.
    If it
    did the error would be a permissions error not a name resolution error.

    "Scott Harding - MS MVP" <scrockel@**NO_SPAM**hotmail.com> wrote in
    message
    > Do you have a trusts in place? Did you give the user form what domain
    access
    > to the other domain by the way of permissions. Simply setting up a
    trusts
    > does not give any access until you specify where and how. For example
    if you
    > want domain users from one side to access the other side you could add
    the
    > global domain users group from one domain into the local users group
    of the
    > other domain. This may be more access than you want but just an
    example.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    DNS, DNS, what is your DNS setup.First question when two domains can not
    find each other.You need a Primary DNS zone for each of your domains. That
    means the NT too.
    --
    Yor Suiris
    Remove the kNOT to reply.

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:%23bU27nQPEHA.632@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > The member servers must be able to resolve the domain name 1c
    > group name for DCs in order to find a logon server and access
    > resources in the W2k3 domain. Attempt to map to a share on
    > the W2k3 domain from the member server and immediately after
    > it fails open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -c. Verify the domain
    > name 1c group name is in the list without conflict. What are you
    > using for name resolution?
    >
    > "StamfordRob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > i have 2 domains NT and 2003... trying to have standard users
    > authenticate in either is having issues.. i get logon issues when i try
    > to have user go from nt to 2003 by way of either net neighborhood or
    > unc.. i can to from dc to dc.. but dc to member server is not working..
    > the user will not authenticate.. logon states that there is not a logon
    > server available..

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    DNS..

    I am currently using a DNS and Wins from another domain... I dont have this issue with any other domains.. Olny with the active directory domains.. this is in a test lab so i have multiple domains setup.. but this issue only arises with the active directory domains.

    all network is pointing to the wins and dns.. all member servers are served the correct wins and dns with dhcp.. DCs are static.

    I just removed all DNS entries from the 2003dc and still have this issue.. no changes..
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    You have to make a connection attempt before running the nbtstat -c
    command because the cache will only be populated when a connection
    attempt is made and lasts for 10 minutes by default.

    "StamfordRob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > nbtstat -c.. no names in cache..
    >
    > weirder.. i can go from (all non admin users) nt domain member server
    to 2003dc shares.. right in.. but cannot go from nt domain member server
    to 2003 domain member servers.. i get '\\<server> is not accessible.
    there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon
    request."

    > i have 2 way trusts between both domains.. i have domain users in
    opposing local user groups..
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    thats what i tried and it still came out no names in cache..
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Are you sure the member server is pointing towards a WINS server?

    "StamfordRob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > thats what i tried and it still came out no names in cache..

Domain Microsoft Servers Windows