RAID array

Hi, I have on my new server RAID disk array with WinNT4 and
I wander if this is enough for data protection and recovery.
Do I need e.g mirroring in addition?
thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about raid array

    Well yes, With out setting up Mirroring or Striping you're only using your
    RAID Controler as a fancy basic disk controler. Thus no protection or
    recovery. What a waste of hard ware. You should at least mirror your O/S
    (system drive) and when the main disk dies you can run off the mirror and be
    backup in the time it takes to reboot.
    --
    Yor Suiris
    Remove the kNOT to reply.
    "Bob" <kc2ine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have on my new server RAID disk array with WinNT4 and
    > I wander if this is enough for data protection and recovery.
    > Do I need e.g mirroring in addition?
    > thanks

    I thought that one of disk array feature is data recovery in case on of the
    disk fails ?
    One disk in a array is designated for this as I've read.

    "Yor Suiris" <yor@hallgroupNOT.net> wrote in message
    > Well yes, With out setting up Mirroring or Striping you're only using your
    > RAID Controler as a fancy basic disk controler. Thus no protection or
    > recovery. What a waste of hard ware. You should at least mirror your O/S
    > (system drive) and when the main disk dies you can run off the mirror and
    be
    > backup in the time it takes to reboot.
    > --
    > Yor Suiris
    > Remove the kNOT to reply.
    > But it is best to share it with the group.
    > "Bob" <kc2ine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I have on my new server RAID disk array with WinNT4 and
    > > I wander if this is enough for data protection and recovery.
    > > Do I need e.g mirroring in addition?
    > > thanks

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Yes, But You have to set it up. It does not work by just plugging in and
    turning on.
    Check the Documentation for your RAID. You want at least two hard drives
    then mirror them. and if your hardware supports spares then install a third
    drive as such, then if one of the mirror dies the spare will be be put into
    use.
    But YOU have to configure.
    > I thought that one of disk array feature is data recovery in case on of
    the
    > disk fails ?
    > One disk in a array is designated for this as I've read.
    >
    > "Yor Suiris" <yor@hallgroupNOT.net> wrote in message
    > > Well yes, With out setting up Mirroring or Striping you're only using
    your
    > > RAID Controler as a fancy basic disk controler. Thus no protection or
    > > recovery. What a waste of hard ware. You should at least mirror your O/S
    > > (system drive) and when the main disk dies you can run off the mirror
    and
    > be
    > > backup in the time it takes to reboot.
    > > --
    > > Yor Suiris
    > > Remove the kNOT to reply.
    > > But it is best to share it with the group.
    > > "Bob" <kc2ine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi, I have on my new server RAID disk array with WinNT4 and
    > > > I wander if this is enough for data protection and recovery.
    > > > Do I need e.g mirroring in addition?
    > > > thanks

Data Recovery NAS / RAID Domain Microsoft Servers Windows