Multiple monitors and WidevieW

Hi,
Finally got my two computers with FS2004 up. Machine A running with
two monitors and wideview server. Machine B running with one monitor
and wideview client.

First question on machine A - I undock a view, move it to the 2nd
monitor, set it so that it's looking out front left, then have
settings back to full screen. I have saved the flight as default.
Problem is when I start FS2004 back up, everything is back on the 1st
monitor although the new external view I created is also there. I have
to go back to window mode which then automatically causes the left
view to move to the 2nd monitor. I can then set back to full screen
mode. How can I get FS to remember the multiple monitor settings?

Second question. Using Wideview on the client machine (B), it has
successfully set the right view. This matches up perfectly (horizon
etc.) with the main front view on machine A. However, I can't get
Machine A 2nd monitor (left view) to match up. I've tried zooming
in/out but no luck. Can I configure the settings in a config file
somewhere or are there any tips on getting this lined up with the
front view?

BTW - anyone thinking of doing this - do it! Gameplay is fantastic.

Thanks,

Al.
7 answers Last reply
More about multiple monitors wideview

    "Al" <key130@hotmail.com> wrote :
    > Second question. Using Wideview on the client machine (B), it has
    > successfully set the right view. This matches up perfectly (horizon
    > etc.) with the main front view on machine A. However, I can't get
    > Machine A 2nd monitor (left view) to match up. I've tried zooming
    > in/out but no luck. Can I configure the settings in a config file
    > somewhere or are there any tips on getting this lined up with the
    > front view?

    The reason is that the views that you choose to have are not
    contiguos (they are represented by the keys 4 8 and 6 on the
    keypad, right ?) if you rather choose to have the 45' sight
    wich are represented by the directions keys 7 8 and 9
    you should get a contiguos view and your horizon lines
    would match, as well as you would have a completely
    different dinamics in the objects you see disappearing by
    one view and appearing in the next one, very useful during
    side approaches and VFR flights.

    > BTW - anyone thinking of doing this - do it! Gameplay is fantastic.

    Oh, yeah ;)

    interresting !!!!!, i am not to familiar with computers so could any of

    you give me a detail explanation on how to setup this on my
    computer?
    do i need a special card for 3 monitors? thanks you

    ps, could youalso reply tomy email at syldeninf@yahoo.ca

    thx

    Denis

    "syldeninf" <syldeninf@forums.simradar.com> wrote :

    > interresting !!!!!, i am not to familiar with computers so could any of
    > you give me a detail explanation on how to setup this on my
    > computer?
    > do i need a special card for 3 monitors? thanks you

    Most of nowadays video cards have double ports so you can
    at least drive 2 monitors. Then you can put a several pci cards
    besides or connect 2 or more computer with a tool called
    wideview (wich you can find here -> www.wideview.it)
    to syncronize different instances of flight simulators one
    providing different windows on different screens.
    Some could be for the panels as well as some others
    for the external views. Since windows 98 there is no
    limit at the virtual number of monitors a pc can have,
    there are 4 ports graphic cards (guess they cost a bit)
    but you can put very easy cheapers pci cards, taking
    care of the fact that not all can be working togheter,
    but this is a test no computer shop usually perform first

    First question,you could just save the flight in windowed mode then hit
    alt+enter when its loaded up and running.
    For the second question,try holding down the shift key when you zoom in or
    out.Gives you a much finer level of control.

    Bryan

    "Al" <key130@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Finally got my two computers with FS2004 up. Machine A running with
    > two monitors and wideview server. Machine B running with one monitor
    > and wideview client.
    >
    > First question on machine A - I undock a view, move it to the 2nd
    > monitor, set it so that it's looking out front left, then have
    > settings back to full screen. I have saved the flight as default.
    > Problem is when I start FS2004 back up, everything is back on the 1st
    > monitor although the new external view I created is also there. I have
    > to go back to window mode which then automatically causes the left
    > view to move to the 2nd monitor. I can then set back to full screen
    > mode. How can I get FS to remember the multiple monitor settings?
    >
    > Second question. Using Wideview on the client machine (B), it has
    > successfully set the right view. This matches up perfectly (horizon
    > etc.) with the main front view on machine A. However, I can't get
    > Machine A 2nd monitor (left view) to match up. I've tried zooming
    > in/out but no luck. Can I configure the settings in a config file
    > somewhere or are there any tips on getting this lined up with the
    > front view?
    >
    > BTW - anyone thinking of doing this - do it! Gameplay is fantastic.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Al.

    > Second question. Using Wideview on the client machine (B), it has
    > successfully set the right view. This matches up perfectly (horizon
    > etc.) with the main front view on machine A. However, I can't get
    > Machine A 2nd monitor (left view) to match up. I've tried zooming
    > in/out but no luck. Can I configure the settings in a config file
    > somewhere or are there any tips on getting this lined up with the
    > front view?

    Read the WideView manual - very detailed info in there about how to adjust
    the settings to line up the horizons properly.

    > BTW - anyone thinking of doing this - do it! Gameplay is fantastic.

    Agreed - http://www.fourmiles.org.uk/cockpit/diary_01_large.jpg is my setup
    on test (just took delivery of the three PC's at Christmas, but not had time
    to do much more as no space at home!!).

    D.

    Thanks for the replies.

    With regards to the left view (running from main computer), it is set
    to key 7 and not key 4 equivalent. The view is actually set through
    the View/Options menu.

    Thanks for the hint on fine tuning Zoom - that has helped.

    However, I still haven't managed to line things up. I've figured out
    that the only way to line the left view up is to make the window
    smaller i.e. I've shrunk the bottom of the window. It now has lined up
    with the main view. This does mean I have a 3" black strip at the
    bottom of the left monitor - I would have preferred a full window...

    I'm going to read up on the wideview link provided.

    Like the 3 montior setup. I'm so glad though that I saved up for three
    flat panels which gives a lot of extra desk space!

    Al.

    An update...

    I gave up trying to use Wideview. The client started juddering whilst
    on the ground and I couldn't figure out why. Also, I couldn't figure
    out how to get weather and AI traffic synchronised.

    In the end, I found out that my dual SLI cards are able to drive three
    monitors! So now one computer drives all three and things are so much
    better.

    The issue is that the left and right view graphics seem a bit weird
    compared to the main view. I think it's because the secondary monitors
    are not 3d accelerated?

    I haven't given up with the other PC. I'm going to use it to drive a
    large GPS screen!

    Al.

Computers Monitors Microsoft Video Games