Setting up network using domain name

I have 3 machines: 1 desktop direct wired to the router and 2 laptops which
are wireless. I am trying to set up a network where we can all back up to
one external hd on the desktop. I've tried using the network wizard, but it
doesn't seem to work. Someone told me to set up the network using a domain
name instead of a workgroup. I can't seem to find this in the "help" section
of XP Pro (all 3 run XP Pro). Can someone tell me where the step-by-step
instructions are? Much appreciated.

Malke

Zarada wrote:

> I have 3 machines: 1 desktop direct wired to the router and 2 laptops
> which
> are wireless. I am trying to set up a network where we can all back
> up to
> one external hd on the desktop. I've tried using the network wizard,
> but it doesn't seem to work. Someone told me to set up the network
> using a domain name instead of a workgroup. I can't seem to find this
> in the "help" section of XP Pro (all 3 run XP Pro). Can someone tell
> me where the step-by-step instructions are? Much appreciated.

You must have a server to have a domain. This means you'd need one
machine to run a server operating system like Windows 2003, so you
can't do this with your current setup. Besides, a server and a domain
is *way* overkill for what you want to do. You just need to set up a
home network and share the external hard drive. Then you can all back
up to it as long as the host machine is on.

I don't know why the Network Wizard "doesn't seem to work" since you
haven't told us, but here's a quick method:

1. Create identical user accounts and passwords on all the machines.
2. Disable Simple Sharing on all machines (Folder Options).
3. You didn't say what firewall you have, but if you have SP2 and the
Windows Firewall, click on its Exceptions tab and enable file and
printer sharing. If you have other firewalls, configure them properly
to allow the lan as trusted.
4. Share out desired resources, including the external drive. Make sure
the permissions are set to Everybody with full read/write permissions.
5. Reboot all the machines and you should have a working home network.

Aside from that, if you still have difficulties go through this
excellent network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the
time necessary to do this and it will pinpoint any problem area(s).

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell