Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Microsoft's Windows 8 Box Art Revealed

Last response: in News comments
August 8, 2012 1:11:37 PM

Looks like something I would see on a shelf at Garden Ridge.
August 8, 2012 1:14:59 PM

I think the boxart looks cool. Not a fan of Windows 8 though. I think the problem with Microsoft is that they're trying to be more Apple-y. Style over substance. Wrong approach in my opinion and it'll cost them down the road.
Related resources
August 8, 2012 1:18:03 PM

interesting
August 8, 2012 1:19:48 PM

That looks hideous.
August 8, 2012 1:24:47 PM

Best part of Windows 8 is the box :)  I like abstract art.
August 8, 2012 1:27:13 PM

Start button sold separately
August 8, 2012 1:30:00 PM

Should have put the box in a rope noose- hangman's knot to be exact.
August 8, 2012 1:30:25 PM

aftcometI think the boxart looks cool. Not a fan of Windows 8 though. I think the problem with Microsoft is that they're trying to be more Apple-y. Style over substance. Wrong approach in my opinion and it'll cost them down the road.

Well said.

Microsoft needs to stick to what brought them to where they are today. At the moment, they seem to be doing nothing but alienating significant numbers of former loyalists while barely winning over anyone new.

If wanted to spend my money on Apple products, then I would.
August 8, 2012 1:30:26 PM

That's it? really?
August 8, 2012 1:40:08 PM

I actually like where Metro is going. I don't like what it's being used for (i.e. a consumer OS for desktops), but it's the sort of thing that could eventually grow to be great for specialized systems. Like the consoles of a starship.
August 8, 2012 1:41:16 PM

it looks like sample catalog from vinyl replacement windows...
August 8, 2012 1:48:03 PM

Who cares about the box??? Is the OS good?
August 8, 2012 1:48:24 PM

It kinda sucks, that the choices I'll have is between osx and windows, as they are both going down the route I don't wish to go.

I'd go linux in a heartbeat, but because it is free, it doesn't have financial oomph to convince people to be compatibile with it.
August 8, 2012 1:53:58 PM

oh god.... this looks worse than the old line art of the '90s
August 8, 2012 2:00:02 PM

better than the uBuntu box....
August 8, 2012 2:01:05 PM

it's like 1995s design.
August 8, 2012 2:13:45 PM

I fully support the new Start screen. I play BF3, WoW and Diablo 3 on my computer and there absolutely no point to have the desktop other than holding onto it. The computer boots up and shutsdown faster. Multitasking also seems faster. Everything seems outright more responsive.

My system spec is
i7 2600k @ 5.1Ghz
2201Mhz DDR3
2 WD 1TB blacks Raid 0
GTX680 @ 1325 core 7000Mhz Ram

yes Water and no not a kiddy water kit like H70

The thing is im very very happy, I have a dualboot with Windows 7 as a backup and the only thing im about to get my hands on is a 240GB SSD from Mushkin. Windows 8 and SSD should make things silly stupid fast.
August 8, 2012 2:28:02 PM

gsxrmeI fully support the new Start screen. I play BF3, WoW and Diablo 3 on my computer and there absolutely no point to have the desktop other than holding onto it. The computer boots up and shutsdown faster. Multitasking also seems faster. Everything seems outright more responsive.My system spec is i7 2600k @ 5.1Ghz2201Mhz DDR32 WD 1TB blacks Raid 0GTX680 @ 1325 core 7000Mhz Ramyes Water and no not a kiddy water kit like H70The thing is im very very happy, I have a dualboot with Windows 7 as a backup and the only thing im about to get my hands on is a 240GB SSD from Mushkin. Windows 8 and SSD should make things silly stupid fast.

Nobody gives a s***...
August 8, 2012 2:32:32 PM

Honestly, it looks like Windows 95 clip art.
August 8, 2012 2:33:59 PM

Looks almost as if MS took a page out of Adobe's book for the design of the box, only a bit outdated looking.
August 8, 2012 2:35:29 PM

zzz_bWho cares about the box??? Is the OS good?

Yes and no, good for tablets "yes", good for desktops "no". And btw Microsoft this is 2012 not the 80's.
August 8, 2012 2:35:40 PM

OHHHHHH Windows 8 can play games. I don't play games on my computer I work, and a game isn't going to prove to me that it's even worth my time. You can still play your games.
August 8, 2012 2:41:12 PM

Oh also I'm with most of you. Don't give a Fuck about that box. I'll toss it anyways. Can't see how the box is tech news.
August 8, 2012 2:43:41 PM

Will BF3 work with Winders 8?
August 8, 2012 2:50:43 PM

gsxrmeI fully support the new Start screen. I play BF3, WoW and Diablo 3 on my computer and there absolutely no point to have the desktop other than holding onto it. The computer boots up and shutsdown faster. Multitasking also seems faster. Everything seems outright more responsive.My system spec is i7 2600k @ 5.1Ghz2201Mhz DDR32 WD 1TB blacks Raid 0GTX680 @ 1325 core 7000Mhz Ramyes Water and no not a kiddy water kit like H70The thing is im very very happy, I have a dualboot with Windows 7 as a backup and the only thing im about to get my hands on is a 240GB SSD from Mushkin. Windows 8 and SSD should make things silly stupid fast.

do you happens to know that what makes Microsoft money is the business who adopt their os, not some pop and mom son playing his game in the basement. And business need to keep being productive.
August 8, 2012 2:58:58 PM

As intensely as I hate Windows Metro and as much as I started hating Microsoft for their latest moves, I can kind of understand why they're doing all this. They look at companies like Blackberry and Nokia, and see former market leaders who failed to adapt and are sliding into irrelevance. When you are in that situation, sometimes it's batter to do anything instead of staying the course, even if "anything" means this Metro/walled garden nonsense they're pushing. As consumers, we owe it to them to punish them if they don't come to their senses, but all they need to do is make Metro optional and allow Metro apps to run inside windows in desktop mode... and they fix everything just like that.

August 8, 2012 3:03:36 PM

gsxrme absolutely no point to have the desktop other than holding onto it.

If you need to have 3-4 windows/applications open at the same time, you can't do that in Metro, it doesn't even do 50:50 split screen.
Also, when developers make BF4, WoW2 and Diablo 4 for Metro, they'll be very tempted to make them work on Windows RT tablets and WP8, so you'll get an inferior game that doesn't use the capabilities of your hardware. Game developers see Angry Birds, Farmville and games like that having a huge user base, so don't think they'll care too much about people with overclocked 680s.
August 8, 2012 3:24:18 PM

I don't get the Windows 8 hate. I'm on a mac typing, and I really like Windows 8. It has a "Start Menu" it's a hotspot in the corner or a metro box that you can place anywhere.5 Have any of you seen the benchmarks for Windows 8? They have improved the kernel 10%-20%. That's huge, Redmond hasn't done something this good since XP. Cell phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, and even tvs need to integrate. There shouldn't be a bunch of different OSs for each gadget. Apple is trying to lock everyones' money up in their Apple bank, Google started from the wrong end of the gadgets: cell phones OSs, and Microsoft is doing it right from the desktop. Our desktops are still where work gets done.
August 8, 2012 3:39:52 PM

More like Windows '80s
August 8, 2012 3:41:05 PM

nillsI'm on a mac typing, and I really like Windows 8.

Yes, it really appeals to Mac-type people. Maybe different devices shouldn't have different operating systems but they sure should have different user interfaces. A PC is neither a tablet nor a phone. All the speed improvements are nice, but they come with a price not worth paying.
August 8, 2012 3:45:06 PM

wasted bandwidth, methinks.
Anonymous
August 8, 2012 3:49:22 PM

Now lets go see people complaining about the box art of the OS. Lol.
Anonymous
August 8, 2012 3:51:18 PM

I agree with most people here, there isn't really much of an incentive to upgrade compared like from Vista to 7. If you already have 7, then I just don't see the point.

But I am using Shitsta right now and this would be one hell of an update from Vista. I'm willing to deal with Metro to not deal with having all my RAM eaten up.
August 8, 2012 4:01:25 PM

They're trying really hard to bring back windows 3.11 I remember that funky abstract art being popular in the early 90s lol
August 8, 2012 4:06:58 PM

Windows + R [Enter]
cmd [Enter]

'nuff of this gooey stuff. feed the mouse to the cat. there was a day when we didn't need gimmicks and wizards. 50 million lines of bloated code and still counting. would you bet your life on this stuff?

meanwhile back to the touchy feely metro or whatever it's called this week. good opportunity for a committee of technodweebs to write a new thousand page tome on how to tame the new fuzzy monster, never mind any illusion of control or mastery - - as the dumbing down of the prevailing culture(s) continues, perhaps accelerating - a bit.

[/mini-rant] mostly kidding, perhaps.
August 8, 2012 4:09:58 PM

They should turn that window logo into prison bars to resemble them taking options away in windows 8. You suck donkey balls microsoft trying to go apple route. Go burn in hell.
August 8, 2012 4:28:46 PM

I am disappointed in MS since it would be no problem to leave a door open to boot directly into the "usual" windows desktop. The box means nothing to me. If it is too difficult to boot into the desktop or easily access the desktop as a default, then my wife will be lost and will end up asking me to help her all the time. This is the real problem with Win8: helping out previous users who are used to the old paradigm of the desktop and who are unable or unwilling to change. And it is not just in the corporate/small business work place that this will be a problem. MS is taking a page from Apple's book of "How to Alienate and Frustrate Users" by attempting to force one single way of working. The real genius of Windows OS's has been the flexibility that Windows allows. Win8 gives up a lot of this flexibility in the user interface AND attempts to force one way of working only. This will be a disaster for MS - and deservedly so. There was no reason for MS to force a boot into Metro. This is an empty gesture with no upside and a potentially large downside. I intend to punish MS with my lack of purchases in the marketplace.
August 8, 2012 4:29:11 PM

Bleh! It looks like the box art of the 80's and 90's decided to have a poor disfigured child
August 8, 2012 4:32:04 PM

aftcometI think the boxart looks cool. Not a fan of Windows 8 though. I think the problem with Microsoft is that they're trying to be more Apple-y. Style over substance. Wrong approach in my opinion and it'll cost them down the road.

What substance is it lacking over W8? Please explain the details.
August 8, 2012 4:32:40 PM

We just cleaned up our closets recently and tossed some old software boxes that were like 10 years old or more and they looked just like that.
August 8, 2012 4:35:25 PM

DroKingThey should turn that window logo into prison bars to resemble them taking options away in windows 8. You suck donkey balls microsoft trying to go apple route. Go burn in hell.

Thanks for your great and wise opinion. I'm sure every singe one of us have become enlightened by this commnet. But go ahead and explain a little further as to what exactly MS has take away from you that you feel as though you are in prison. I'm pretty sure you are still being a coward behind you little desk, trolling away, and you will be doing the same thing once W8 hits the shelves. No change in your classy lifestyle...so you wont have to change your classy eloquence.
August 8, 2012 4:37:08 PM

How big is the box?
August 8, 2012 4:37:58 PM

KidABearWell said.Microsoft needs to stick to what brought them to where they are today. At the moment, they seem to be doing nothing but alienating significant numbers of former loyalists while barely winning over anyone new.If wanted to spend my money on Apple products, then I would.

I can't believe you fell for his comment...but since you agree, maybe you can explain what substance is lost in W8 over W7. What substance is W8 lacking...please explain.
August 8, 2012 4:38:53 PM

Won't be buying windows 8. Too messy, and poorly executed. Microsoft made too many changes for the 5% vocal minority.
August 8, 2012 4:39:59 PM

KidABearNobody gives a s***...

Thanks for joining, but douchebags need not apply
August 8, 2012 4:45:20 PM

killerclickYes, it really appeals to Mac-type people. Maybe different devices shouldn't have different operating systems but they sure should have different user interfaces. A PC is neither a tablet nor a phone. All the speed improvements are nice, but they come with a price not worth paying.

Well unfortunately for you...the tablet and phone is a PC. I don't know where you'll be in the near future, but if your selling desktops in a tablet and smartphone driven market...you'll be bankrupt. Oh yeah don't take my word for it. Look at the sales data for tablets and smartphones. Also look at the R&D departments of any hardware companies, look at all the articles surrounding the developement of tablet cpus memory etc. The developement of LTE networks and wifi hotspots etc. Dude, let me tell you that Tablets and phones are the future. Desktops will be around, but tablets are not going away. The industry hasn't even begun to grow!
a b * Windows 8
August 8, 2012 4:55:18 PM

M1n3Kraft....But I am using Shitsta right now and this would be one hell of an update from Vista. I'm willing to deal with Metro to not deal with having all my RAM eaten up.

If you only have 1-2 gigs of ram, that is your problem. Vista did not use THAT much memory and most of it was cached. Cached memory is still available to your programs despite the task manager saying FREE = 0. Win 7 just changed the way its displayed.

bsteffler If it is too difficult to boot into the desktop or easily access the desktop as a default, then my wife will be lost and will end up asking me to help her all the time. This is the real problem with Win8.....

So she will need help to click the tile marked "DESKTOP"?
August 8, 2012 5:22:08 PM

ejb222Well unfortunately for you...the tablet and phone is a PC. I don't know where you'll be in the near future, but if your selling desktops in a tablet and smartphone driven market...you'll be bankrupt. Oh yeah don't take my word for it.

Look it's simple - there is a tablet and there is a desktop. One is a handheld device with a touchscreen, one is not. I would hope it's obvious they shouldn't have the same user interface, never mind which kind of device is selling more. I mean scooters are outselling trucks, does that mean trucks should have handlebars instead of a steering wheel?
August 8, 2012 5:30:30 PM

killerclickLook it's simple - there is a tablet and there is a desktop. One is a handheld device with a touchscreen, one is not. I would hope it's obvious they shouldn't have the same user interface, never mind which kind of device is selling more. I mean scooters are outselling trucks, does that mean trucks should have handlebars instead of a steering wheel?

OK..if it's so simple, please explain why a desktop should not have Metro. Not an opinion, no analogies. Straight out explain why a desktop SHOULD not have Metro
!