can the processor in this system be upgraded?

Hi everyone

I figure if I can up the processor in this system to about 1.5Ghz I
can get another couple years use out of it...here is the info from
Everest. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if the processor can
be upgraded, and if so what is the max speed. Thanks.

CPU:

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Celeron II, 766 MHz (11.5 x 67)
CPU Alias Celeron III, Coppermine Lite, Coppermine-128
CPU Stepping cC0
Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE
Original Clock 766 MHz
L1 Code Cache 16 KB
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 128 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info:
Package Type 370 Pin FC-PGA
Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
Transistors 28.1 million
Process Technology 6M, 0.18 um, CMOS
Die Size 90 mm2
Core Voltage 1.70 V
I/O Voltage 3.3 V
Typical Power 9 - 22 W (depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 14.0 - 33.0 W (depending on clock speed)

Motherboard:

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Compaq Presario

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz
Effective Clock 67 MHz
Bandwidth 533 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit

Chipset:

North Bridge Properties:
North Bridge Intel Whitney i810E
Revision 03
Package Type 421 Pin BGA
Package Size 3.1 cm x 3.1 cm
Core Voltage 1.8 V
In-Order Queue Depth 4

Memory Timings:
CAS Latency (CL) 2T
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 2T
RAS Precharge (tRP) 2T
RAS Active Time (tRAS) 5T
Row Cycle Time (tRC) 7T

Memory Slots:
DRAM Slot #1 256 MB (SDRAM)
DRAM Slot #2 256 MB (SDRAM)

Integrated Graphics Controller:
Graphics Controller Type Intel i752
Graphics Controller Status Enabled
Shared Memory Size 1 MB

Trevor Smithson wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I figure if I can up the processor in this system to about 1.5Ghz I
> can get another couple years use out of it...here is the info from
> Everest. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if the processor can
> be upgraded, and if so what is the max speed. Thanks.

Really need to know which model Compaq that is but the 810E chipset should
be able to use just about any coppermine CPU, either Celeron or P-III, but
you're not going to get 1.5 gig.

A P-III would be about 25% faster than a same speed Celeron because of the
larger cache. If you went to a 133 MHz FSB P-III, however, you might need
to change RAM too (if it's PC100, which is likely with a 766 celeron in
there). While not absolutely necessary, you really should change to PC133
even if using a 100 MHz FSB P-III, or Celeron (those >= 800MHz) as having
memory faster than the FSB helps compensate for the shared memory video.
(with a 766 MHz Celeron you're at the top end for keeping the existing
PC100 RAM)

There's a chance you could use the Tualatin Celerons (same performance as
the P-III) with an adapter. They go to 1.4 gig, on 100 MHz FSB, but I'd
stick with 1.3 gig, or less, to keep from overloading the voltage
regulators so much. You need to check the adapter's compatibility list
against the Compaq model number to see if it'll work, though.

> CPU:
>
> CPU Properties:
> CPU Type Intel Celeron II, 766 MHz (11.5 x 67)
> CPU Alias Celeron III, Coppermine Lite, Coppermine-128
> CPU Stepping cC0
> Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE
> Original Clock 766 MHz
> L1 Code Cache 16 KB
> L1 Data Cache 16 KB
> L2 Cache 128 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)
>
> CPU Physical Info:
> Package Type 370 Pin FC-PGA
> Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
> Transistors 28.1 million
> Process Technology 6M, 0.18 um, CMOS
> Die Size 90 mm2
> Core Voltage 1.70 V
> I/O Voltage 3.3 V
> Typical Power 9 - 22 W (depending on clock speed)
> Maximum Power 14.0 - 33.0 W (depending on clock speed)
>

> Motherboard:
>
> Motherboard Properties:
> Motherboard ID <DMI>
> Motherboard Name Compaq Presario
>
> Front Side Bus Properties:
> Bus Type Intel GTL+
> Bus Width 64-bit
> Real Clock 67 MHz
> Effective Clock 67 MHz
> Bandwidth 533 MB/s
>
> Chipset Bus Properties:
> Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
> Bus Width 8-bit
>

> Chipset:
>

> North Bridge Properties:
> North Bridge Intel Whitney i810E
> Revision 03
> Package Type 421 Pin BGA
> Package Size 3.1 cm x 3.1 cm
> Core Voltage 1.8 V
> In-Order Queue Depth 4
>
> Memory Timings:
> CAS Latency (CL) 2T
> RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 2T
> RAS Precharge (tRP) 2T
> RAS Active Time (tRAS) 5T
> Row Cycle Time (tRC) 7T
>
> Memory Slots:
> DRAM Slot #1 256 MB (SDRAM)
> DRAM Slot #2 256 MB (SDRAM)
>
> Integrated Graphics Controller:
> Graphics Controller Type Intel i752
> Graphics Controller Status Enabled
> Shared Memory Size 1 MB

David,

Thanks much for your quick reply.

Here's my memory type, again according to Everest:

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: Micron Tech. 16LSDT3264AG-133E1 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
(3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)
DIMM2 256 MB PC133 SDRAM (3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100
MHz)

Also, the Compaq model number is Preasrio 5000.

So, given that what would you recommend?

Thanks again!

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:14:14 -0500, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>against the Compaq model number to see if it'll work, though.
>

>> CPU:
>>
>> CPU Properties:
>> CPU Type Intel Celeron II, 766 MHz (11.5 x 67)
>> CPU Alias Celeron III, Coppermine Lite, Coppermine-128
>> CPU Stepping cC0
>> Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE
>> Original Clock 766 MHz
>> L1 Code Cache 16 KB
>> L1 Data Cache 16 KB
>> L2 Cache 128 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)
>>
>> CPU Physical Info:
>> Package Type 370 Pin FC-PGA
>> Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
>> Transistors 28.1 million
>> Process Technology 6M, 0.18 um, CMOS
>> Die Size 90 mm2
>> Core Voltage 1.70 V
>> I/O Voltage 3.3 V
>> Typical Power 9 - 22 W (depending on clock speed)
>> Maximum Power 14.0 - 33.0 W (depending on clock speed)

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:29:28 -0500, Trevor Smithson
<trevor_smithson@yahoo.com> wrote:

>David,
>
>Thanks much for your quick reply.
>
>Here's my memory type, again according to Everest:
>
>SPD Memory Modules:
> DIMM1: Micron Tech. 16LSDT3264AG-133E1 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
>(3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)
> DIMM2 256 MB PC133 SDRAM (3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100
>MHz)
>
>Also, the Compaq model number is Preasrio 5000.

Ignore that, the actual model number is 5006US.

Trevor Smithson wrote:

> David,
>
> Thanks much for your quick reply.
>
> Here's my memory type, again according to Everest:
>
> SPD Memory Modules:
> DIMM1: Micron Tech. 16LSDT3264AG-133E1 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
> (3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)
> DIMM2 256 MB PC133 SDRAM (3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100
> MHz)

That's good news.

> Also, the Compaq model number is Preasrio 5000.

"Presario 5000" is not a model number, per see. It's a 'class' of Compaq
computer and there's over 100 'Presario 5000' models (not counting 'options').

You need to find the ID tag that has the actual model number (like 5000T,
or 5010US, or 5080US, or whatever)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&product=92873&dlc=en&docname=c00004461

This is an example of the adapter and they have a compatibility list.

http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/370gu/370gu.htm

I would, and did, buy an el-cheapo clone for like 5 bucks, though, since
they're the same thing. Such as this one
http://www.hardwarecooling.com/product_info.php/products_id/199

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:57:27 -0500, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
wrote:

>Trevor Smithson wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> Thanks much for your quick reply.
>>
>> Here's my memory type, again according to Everest:
>>
>> SPD Memory Modules:
>> DIMM1: Micron Tech. 16LSDT3264AG-133E1 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
>> (3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)
>> DIMM2 256 MB PC133 SDRAM (3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100
>> MHz)
>
>That's good news.
>

>> Also, the Compaq model number is Preasrio 5000.
>

>"Presario 5000" is not a model number, per see. It's a 'class' of Compaq
>computer and there's over 100 'Presario 5000' models (not counting 'options').

See my previous reply...

Also, I've done some more research, and the FSB can be altered by
changing jumpers around; it can be changed to 100 or 133mhz.

Does this change anything you recommended?

Thanks again

Trevor Smithson wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I figure if I can up the processor in this system to about 1.5Ghz I
> can get another couple years use out of it...here is the info from
> Everest. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if the processor can
> be upgraded, and if so what is the max speed. Thanks.
>

> CPU:
>
> CPU Properties:
> CPU Type Intel Celeron II, 766 MHz (11.5 x 67)
> CPU Alias Celeron III, Coppermine Lite, Coppermine-128
> CPU Stepping cC0
> Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE
> Original Clock 766 MHz
> L1 Code Cache 16 KB
> L1 Data Cache 16 KB
> L2 Cache 128 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)
>
> CPU Physical Info:
> Package Type 370 Pin FC-PGA
> Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
> Transistors 28.1 million
> Process Technology 6M, 0.18 um, CMOS
> Die Size 90 mm2
> Core Voltage 1.70 V
> I/O Voltage 3.3 V
> Typical Power 9 - 22 W (depending on clock speed)
> Maximum Power 14.0 - 33.0 W (depending on clock speed)
>

> Motherboard:
>
> Motherboard Properties:
> Motherboard ID <DMI>
> Motherboard Name Compaq Presario
>
> Front Side Bus Properties:
> Bus Type Intel GTL+
> Bus Width 64-bit
> Real Clock 67 MHz
> Effective Clock 67 MHz
> Bandwidth 533 MB/s
>
> Chipset Bus Properties:
> Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
> Bus Width 8-bit
>

> Chipset:
>

> North Bridge Properties:
> North Bridge Intel Whitney i810E
> Revision 03
> Package Type 421 Pin BGA
> Package Size 3.1 cm x 3.1 cm
> Core Voltage 1.8 V
> In-Order Queue Depth 4
>
> Memory Timings:
> CAS Latency (CL) 2T
> RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 2T
> RAS Precharge (tRP) 2T
> RAS Active Time (tRAS) 5T
> Row Cycle Time (tRC) 7T
>
> Memory Slots:
> DRAM Slot #1 256 MB (SDRAM)
> DRAM Slot #2 256 MB (SDRAM)
>
> Integrated Graphics Controller:
> Graphics Controller Type Intel i752
> Graphics Controller Status Enabled
> Shared Memory Size 1 MB

get a p3 as fast as you can find and drop it in. otherwise money might be
more wisely spent on a new mobo/cpu/ram combination

Trevor Smithson wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:57:27 -0500, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Trevor Smithson wrote:
>>

>>>David,
>>>
>>>Thanks much for your quick reply.
>>>
>>>Here's my memory type, again according to Everest:
>>>
>>>SPD Memory Modules:
>>> DIMM1: Micron Tech. 16LSDT3264AG-133E1 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
>>>(3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)
>>> DIMM2 256 MB PC133 SDRAM (3.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100
>>>MHz)
>>
>>That's good news.
>>

>>>Also, the Compaq model number is Preasrio 5000.
>>

>>"Presario 5000" is not a model number, per see. It's a 'class' of Compaq
>>computer and there's over 100 'Presario 5000' models (not counting 'options').
>

> See my previous reply...

I already did.

That one is not on their compatibility list but odds are a tualatin (best
price is the 1.2 gig, especially since it's retail and comes with the
heatsink) would work with the adapter since it's known to work with other
810E boards (there are also 810E boards that natively support tualatins).
Depends on how much risk one is willing to take, though. I'd try the 1.2
gig tualatin, since this is the board's last hurrah, but then I have a
number of systems so I wouldn't be out anything even if it didn't work. I'd
just swap things around but you probably don't have that luxury.

As I previously posted, the next best alternate is a P-III, say 1 gig
(depending on how much you want to spend. The 866 is cheapest with 933 next
and 1 gig the most pricey of all the choices). There's no list to prove
they work either but at least they're coppermines, meaning no adapter
needed, so there's less risk than the tualatin. An Intel CA810E
'officially' supports P-IIIs up to 1 gig so if Compaq did a standard design
it should as well.

The upper end coppermine celerons are about the same risk as a P-III, just
as expensive, and don't provide enough bang over the 766 you've already got
to be worth it.

So "cheap and safe" is the P-III 866, about a 41% performance increase (13%
clock and 25% P-III/FSB), with "best bang for the buck, if it works," the
1.2 gig tualatin, about a 95% performance increase (57% clock and 25%
tualatin/FSB).

Note, the performance increase doesn't mean the whole system is that much
faster, just the processor.

Check with www.pricewatch.com for suppliers.

> Also, I've done some more research, and the FSB can be altered by
> changing jumpers around; it can be changed to 100 or 133mhz.
>
> Does this change anything you recommended?

Makes no difference.

On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:04:44 -0500, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
wrote:

>Trevor Smithson wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:57:27 -0500, David Maynard <nospam@private.net>
>> wrote:

>>>That's good news.

>>>"Presario 5000" is not a model number, per see. It's a 'class' of Compaq
>>>computer and there's over 100 'Presario 5000' models (not counting 'options').
>>

>> See my previous reply...
>
>I already did.
>
>That one is not on their compatibility list but odds are a tualatin (best
>price is the 1.2 gig, especially since it's retail and comes with the
>heatsink) would work with the adapter since it's known to work with other
>810E boards (there are also 810E boards that natively support tualatins).
>Depends on how much risk one is willing to take, though. I'd try the 1.2
>gig tualatin, since this is the board's last hurrah, but then I have a
>number of systems so I wouldn't be out anything even if it didn't work. I'd
>just swap things around but you probably don't have that luxury.

Well I have an even older system that'll work as a backup if I somehow
fry this system. I'm going to buy from a seller that will return
whatever I buy in case it doesn't work, even if they're a bit more
expensive.

>As I previously posted, the next best alternate is a P-III, say 1 gig
>(depending on how much you want to spend. The 866 is cheapest with 933 next
>and 1 gig the most pricey of all the choices). There's no list to prove
>they work either but at least they're coppermines, meaning no adapter
>needed, so there's less risk than the tualatin. An Intel CA810E
>'officially' supports P-IIIs up to 1 gig so if Compaq did a standard design
>it should as well.
>
>The upper end coppermine celerons are about the same risk as a P-III, just
>as expensive, and don't provide enough bang over the 766 you've already got
>to be worth it.
>
>So "cheap and safe" is the P-III 866, about a 41% performance increase (13%
>clock and 25% P-III/FSB), with "best bang for the buck, if it works," the
>1.2 gig tualatin, about a 95% performance increase (57% clock and 25%
>tualatin/FSB).

I'm going to go for a 1.2 or 1.3Ghz Tualatin. A 95% processor speed
increase would be meet my needs as far as performance and price go.
Memory, hard drive, and network speeds are all fine; the system is
definitely processor-bound (I've been doing some video editing, with a
766Mhz Celeron it's pretty slow...)

>Note, the performance increase doesn't mean the whole system is that much
>faster, just the processor.

Right.

>Check with www.pricewatch.com for suppliers.

Will do. I don't suppose you have any direct experience changing the
FSB clock on a Compaq 5006US? This webpage:

http://www.igs.net/~ndaines/Qfiles/bmw-r.html

says it can be done; the board looks identical or at least very
similar to mine, but I'm having trouble identifying the three jumpers.
I'm pretty sure of two of them but not of the third. Any tips?

>> Also, I've done some more research, and the FSB can be altered by
>> changing jumpers around; it can be changed to 100 or 133mhz.
>>
>> Does this change anything you recommended?
>

>Makes no difference.
>

>> Thanks again
>>

>>>You need to find the ID tag that has the actual model number (like 5000T,
>>>or 5010US, or 5080US, or whatever)
>>>
>>>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&product=92873&dlc=en&docname=c00004461
>>>
>>>This is an example of the adapter and they have a compatibility list.
>>>
>>>http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/370gu/370gu.htm
>>>
>>>I would, and did, buy an el-cheapo clone for like 5 bucks, though, since
>>>they're the same thing. Such as this one
>>>http://www.hardwarecooling.com/product_info.php/products_id/199

No, that motherboard will NOT accept much larger than a 1 GHz PIII CPU. NOT
1.5 GHz for sure!

--
DaveW

Trevor Smithson wrote:

> I figure if I can up the processor in this system to about 1.5Ghz I
> can get another couple years use out of it...here is the info from
> Everest. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if the processor can
> be upgraded, and if so what is the max speed. Thanks.

Honestly, look for a nice sale on computers and get a nice eMachines or
Compaq with preferrably an Athlon XP processor for about $500 complete with
monitor and printer. I'm not sure if the Athlon XP is available anymore on
those systems, but when they were, they were a steal. You might only be
able to get a Celeron or Sempron system now, as the Athlon XP is going the
way of the dodo bird. Of those two offerings, I'd go Sempron given a
choice. Your processor, though OC'd to 1.5 GHz is running approximately the
same speed a P3 overclocked to 1.2 GHz, which is not as fast as a factory
1.2 GHz P3 would be, and that's light years behind, these days. You _could_
get by, but you'll wish you hadn't...

Just my $.02...

--

Registered Linux user #378193

Trevor Smithson wrote:

> David,
>
> Wanted to let you know that I ended up getting a Celeron Tualatin
> 1.3Ghz as an upgrade to my system. Also got the cheapo CPU
> adapter that you mentioned as well. System's been running fine for
> two days, seems rock-solid so far.
>
> Thanks again for answering all my questions.

SUPER! I'm glad it worked out for you.

As I alluded, I have 4 systems upgraded with tualatins and they're a nice
last hurrah; and particularly satisfying, for me anyway, to see what began
life as a celeron 300 system running 1.3 gig.