How to connect laptop-style slim DVD drive to IDE or USB p..

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 18, 2005 4:47:04 PM

I'm building a mini-ITX machine. I've a Travla case with a place for a
slim drive on the side. There's no room inside for a full size CD/DVD
drive. My question is, how to connect this kind of drive to IDE (or USB)
port?

As far as I know all these drives have some weird, wide connector, but
some of them are visible as removable (USB?) devices in Win XP - for
example I can stop and remove my DVD/CD-RW drive from my Toshiba M2
laptop. So I assume it's some standard port type.

Any ideas?

--
Maciek
mknwNOSPAM@ceti.pl

Is this what you need? It converts a slim laptop ide optical device into a
standard ide device. I have a couple of them I use for testing drives and
they work great.

http://www.directron.com/cddvdadapter.html

"Maciek" <mknwNOSPAM@ceti.pl> wrote in message
news:D 6f6po$357$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl...
> I'm building a mini-ITX machine. I've a Travla case with a place for a
> slim drive on the side. There's no room inside for a full size CD/DVD
> drive. My question is, how to connect this kind of drive to IDE (or USB)
> port?
>
> As far as I know all these drives have some weird, wide connector, but
> some of them are visible as removable (USB?) devices in Win XP - for
> example I can stop and remove my DVD/CD-RW drive from my Toshiba M2
> laptop. So I assume it's some standard port type.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Maciek
> mknwNOSPAM@ceti.pl
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 19, 2005 9:49:36 PM

Not what he's looking for. That is for a HDD, he needs something for a
laptop optical drive.

!