new domain

I just installed a windows server 2003. I will make it a
PDC and bring my PDC and 2 BDC's from a windows NT 4
domain. Any ideas on the best way to do it? Any
critical thing I need to do first? Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about domain

    Your plan will not work. There is *no* *way* to have a NT 4.0 PDC and a Win
    2k3 DC in the SAME domain.
    You need to either upgrade or migrate.
    To upgrade you MUST upgrade the NT 4.0 PDC first. To migrate you would set
    up 2 separate domains "side by side" on the same wire and use ADMT to move
    users from one domain to the other

    See:

    How to : Upgrade a Windows NT 4.0 Based PDC to a Windows Server 2003 Based
    Domain Controller
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326209&Product=winsvr2003

    How To: Set up ADMT for a Windows NT 4.0 -to- Windows Server 2003 Migration.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325851&Product=winsvr2003

    > domain. Any ideas on the best way to do it? Any
    > critical thing I need to do first? Thanks

    The most "critical" thing you need to do is take your time and plan your
    path through the upgrade/migration. You need to know enough about the pros
    and cons of each to make the *right* decision in your case. You need to know
    what you want the final outcome to look like, then you can determine the
    proper course (upgrade or migrate). One question that goes a long way in
    determining which method you take is: Do you need the domain name to be the
    same? If so that pretty much rules out directly migrating to Win 2k3 because
    to migrate you need to create a trust between the two domain. You can't
    create a trust between two domain with the same name. There are way's around
    it but you have to know what you are doing.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "rafa" <rflores@liquidpacllc.com> wrote in message
    > I just installed a windows server 2003. I will make it a
    > PDC and bring my PDC and 2 BDC's from a windows NT 4
    > domain. Any ideas on the best way to do it? Any
    > critical thing I need to do first? Thanks

    I'm not experienced in win 2k3 but will it work if I make
    my win 2k3 a pdc and demote my nt pdc to bdc?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    No you cannot do that. The previous post is what you need to do. The
    Win2k/2k3 machines CANNOT be a domain controller at all in a NT4 domain.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    > I'm not experienced in win 2k3 but will it work if I make
    > my win 2k3 a pdc and demote my nt pdc to bdc?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    > I'm not experienced in win 2k3 but will it work if I make
    > my win 2k3 a pdc and demote my nt pdc to bdc?

    You do not get the option to "demote a NT 4.0 PDC" you only get the option
    to promote a NT 4.0 BDC to PDC which demotes the NT 4.0 PDC. No this will
    not work.

    Either upgrade:
    How to : Upgrade a Windows NT 4.0 Based PDC to a Windows Server 2003 Based
    Domain Controller
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326209&Product=winsvr2003

    or migrate:

    How To: Set up ADMT for a Windows NT 4.0 -to- Windows Server 2003 Migration.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325851&Product=winsvr2003

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "rafa" <rflores@liquidpacllc.com> wrote in message
    > I'm not experienced in win 2k3 but will it work if I make
    > my win 2k3 a pdc and demote my nt pdc to bdc?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I thank you both for your help. I have one last
    question. If I do the migration which is what I'm
    thinking about, am I going to be able to see my two NT
    servers?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    If I do the migration which is what I'm
    > thinking about, am I going to be able to see my two NT
    > servers?

    What do you mean by "see my two NT servers"? You have to set up a trust
    between the two domains, you have to see each domain to set up a trust.

    > I thank you both for your help. I have one last
    > question. If I do the migration which is what I'm
    > thinking about, am I going to be able to see my two NT
    > servers?

Domain Windows Server 2003 Microsoft Windows