Gamer's chair?

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 18, 2005 3:19:14 PM

I need a chair that is VERY comfortable for spending
long hrs in front of a PC at home.

I don't want a traditional office chair as they seem
very uncomfortable for that usage. besides I wind up
putting my feet on my desk anyway.

Any advice for a chair that one can set in while
surfing the web for long periods, researching info,
etc?

I'm thinking of an old lazy boy recliner that would
allow me to put my feet up.

Or Costco had some kind of plastic looking chair that
reclined and set on the floor for gamers.

Anyway.... any advice or thoughts on this?

I'm taking college classes so spend a LOT of time in
front of the PC at home..... researching, email, etc

More about : gamer chair

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2005 9:57:55 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

> I need a chair that is VERY comfortable for spending long hrs in
> front of a PC at home.

Can you touch type? Can you build stuff?

If so, I can say without a doubt, with certainty, for sure,
guaranteed, that chair you are looking for is actually an air bed.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?pr...

I can spend hours in the same position, lying down using my
computer without any discomfort. I can spend over 12 hours in a
day using my computer without any discomfort whatsoever (except
maybe eyestrain and carpal tunnel syndrome CTS/RSI before using
speech recognition). That thing is the ultimate in back comfort
support.

Here are a few requirements.

.... you must be able to touch type unless maybe you build a
special keyboard holder... the keyboard rests on my stomach

.... cordless devices... keyboard/mouse/joystick/gamepad all
cordless... the only corded device is the microphone I use for
command & control and dictation

.... unless you are a professional at building structures, do not
attempt to support the monitor from below... I have done that with
two or three builds over the years, none of them were very
stable... the monitor should be suspended... currently, my monitor
is hung from an arch made out of 2x4s... there are two vertical
2x4s, one on each side, and one horizontal 2x4 going across on the
top... the monitor is suspended by two nylon ropes, one on each
side, threaded through islets in the monitor case... in the center
front of the monitor, attached is a chain which goes from there to
the top of the 2x4 for adjusting tilt

That is the basic set up. If you haven't lain on a modern air bed
(the kind with inner columns), you are in for a very comfortable
surprise. Coleman is not the only maker of air beds which include
inner coils (vertical columns of supporting material).

The air bed I linked you to is a twin size with four rows by eight
rows worth of inner columns. There is another version with five
rows by nine rows (maybe sold at Target) which is not as high but
even more incredibly comfortable. I haven't tried any of the
expensive air beds, it just isn't necessary.

I have two cats. I have gone through two of those things,
currently using my third. There's no going back.

I'm not sure about this, but having the monitor in front and
overhead while lying down might be physiologically awkward. I have
been doing it for about 10 years and sometimes experience slight
dizziness while playing certain first-person shooters like Tribes
2. Then again, chair bound gamers sometimes experience the same.

Good luck.

> I don't want a traditional office chair as they seem
> very uncomfortable for that usage. besides I wind up
> putting my feet on my desk anyway.
>
> Any advice for a chair that one can set in while
> surfing the web for long periods, researching info,
> etc?
>
> I'm thinking of an old lazy boy recliner that would
> allow me to put my feet up.
>
> Or Costco had some kind of plastic looking chair that
> reclined and set on the floor for gamers.
>
> Anyway.... any advice or thoughts on this?
>
> I'm taking college classes so spend a LOT of time in
> front of the PC at home..... researching, email, etc

May 18, 2005 9:57:56 PM

>Can you touch type? Can you build stuff?
>
>If so, I can say without a doubt, with certainty, for sure,
>guaranteed, that chair you are looking for is actually an air bed.
>
>http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?pr...

Interesting idea!

So you are saying that you lie back down on the air bed
and look straight UP into the suspended monitor?
Related resources
May 18, 2005 9:57:56 PM

>... cordless devices... keyboard/mouse/joystick/gamepad all
>cordless... the only corded device is the microphone I use for
>command & control and dictation

Yes I've been thinking abt cordless keyboards.

But does anyone make a good cordless keyboard that also
has a trackball or pointing device built in?

The Microsoft cordless keyboard has a separate cordless
mouse..... which to my way of thinking would be unhandy
cause then you have two things to juggle

My other idea was to just use voice recognition
software and a good microphone and "talk" to my PC.

But I still need something to rest my body on that will
distribute the weight all over.

You see....as it is now I set in a reg desk chair....
sometimes put feet on desk....and my butt gets so much
pressure that after awhile it really gets numb!! Need
something better
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2005 10:08:47 PM

By the way, I don't have to juggle papers at the same time.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2005 10:59:43 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>Can you touch type? Can you build stuff? If so, I can say
>>without a doubt, with certainty, for sure, guaranteed, that
>>chair you are looking for is actually an air bed.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?pr...

> Interesting idea!
> So you are saying that you lie back down on the air bed
> and look straight UP into the suspended monitor?

Thanks. Not straight up. Usually the monitor is suspended over my
stomach at a viewing angle of no higher than 45° with the cordless
keyboard resting on my stomach.

Suspending the monitor is not only much more stable, but allows
greater freedom of movement underneath the monitor.
May 18, 2005 10:59:44 PM

>Thanks. Not straight up. Usually the monitor is suspended over my
>stomach at a viewing angle of no higher than 45° with the cordless
>keyboard resting on my stomach.

Are you using an LCD display?

Or a heavy CRT display?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2005 11:11:07 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>... cordless devices... keyboard/mouse/joystick/gamepad all
>>cordless... the only corded device is the microphone I use for
>>command & control and dictation
>
> Yes I've been thinking abt cordless keyboards.
> But does anyone make a good cordless keyboard that also
> has a trackball or pointing device built in?

Yes, there is a cordless keyboard with a touch pad built in made by
Adesso. I haven't found a split/ergonomic cordless keyboard with a
touchpad built-in.

By the way. A split/ergonomic keyboard is probably also useful for
using your computer while lying down. There are several different
split/ergonomic cordless keyboards on the market.

> The Microsoft cordless keyboard has a separate cordless
> mouse..... which to my way of thinking would be unhandy
> cause then you have two things to juggle

If you mean while lying down, since they're cordless it's really not
a problem. My mouse is on a thin square piece of wood which does
just fine (the mousepad stays in place on top of that piece of
wood). The piece of wood has two metal prongs coming out of it which
allows my cordless joystick to hook/lock into it.

> My other idea was to just use voice recognition
> software and a good microphone and "talk" to my PC.

You will still need a keyboard/mouse if you want to get things done.
May 18, 2005 11:11:08 PM

>> The Microsoft cordless keyboard has a separate cordless
>> mouse..... which to my way of thinking would be unhandy
>> cause then you have two things to juggle
>
>If you mean while lying down, since they're cordless it's really not
>a problem.

Really?

Are you saying that having the wireless mouse separate
from the wireless keyboard is an advantage in your
opinion?

Also...... do you like the straight keyboards or the
ergonomic version of the wireless keyboard?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 19, 2005 12:01:41 AM

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I need a chair that is VERY comfortable for spending
> long hrs in front of a PC at home.
>
> I don't want a traditional office chair as they seem
> very uncomfortable for that usage. besides I wind up
> putting my feet on my desk anyway.
>
> Any advice for a chair that one can set in while
> surfing the web for long periods, researching info,
> etc?
>
> I'm thinking of an old lazy boy recliner that would
> allow me to put my feet up.
>
> Or Costco had some kind of plastic looking chair that
> reclined and set on the floor for gamers.
>
> Anyway.... any advice or thoughts on this?
>
> I'm taking college classes so spend a LOT of time in
> front of the PC at home..... researching, email, etc

Hehe.... try this:
http://www.edimensional.com/product_info.php?cPath=999&...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 19, 2005 7:18:09 AM

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>Thanks. Not straight up. Usually the monitor is suspended over my
>>stomach at a viewing angle of no higher than 45° with the cordless
>>keyboard resting on my stomach.
>
> Are you using an LCD display?
> Or a heavy CRT display?

A perfectly flat 19 inch Trinitron CRT weighing 60 pounds.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 19, 2005 7:12:35 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:
> I need a chair that is VERY comfortable for spending
> long hrs in front of a PC at home.
>
> I don't want a traditional office chair as they seem
> very uncomfortable for that usage. besides I wind up
> putting my feet on my desk anyway.
>
> Any advice for a chair that one can set in while
> surfing the web for long periods, researching info,
> etc?
>
> I'm thinking of an old lazy boy recliner that would
> allow me to put my feet up.
>
> Or Costco had some kind of plastic looking chair that
> reclined and set on the floor for gamers.
>
> Anyway.... any advice or thoughts on this?
>
> I'm taking college classes so spend a LOT of time in
> front of the PC at home..... researching, email, etc

This is my computer/gaming chair:
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/catalog/sku.asp?ID=O...

http://tinyurl.com/9o8fg

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 21, 2005 12:41:09 AM

You should see some of the new "office chairs" that are available lately.
You' be surprised how comfy they are. There are some really nice ones at
Best buy and office depot.

!