Can't join domain

I have a Windows NT 4.0 SP5 server, not a domain
controller, that I'm trying to join our Win2K domain. I
right click on Network Neighborhood, choose the
Identification Tab, click change and type in the domain
name without the .com at the end. I get "Unable to
connect to the domain controller for this domain. Have
your administrator check your computer account on the
domain." I have already created a computer account on the
domain. If I enter the domain name with the .com at the
end I get "The domain controller for this domain cannot be
located." I can ping the domain controller by IP and by
name. TCP/IP, DNS, & WINS settings are correct. The only
thing not configured is default gateway, but all the
servers are on the same subnet. Any suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about join domain

    Immediately after the failed logon attempt open a dos
    prompt and run nbtstat -c and verify the the following
    netbios names are in the cache without conflict:
    domain names 1b, 1c and computer names 00, 20,
    and 03 all pointing towards the PDC of the domain
    and without conflict.

    "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a Windows NT 4.0 SP5 server, not a domain
    > controller, that I'm trying to join our Win2K domain. I
    > right click on Network Neighborhood, choose the
    > Identification Tab, click change and type in the domain
    > name without the .com at the end. I get "Unable to
    > connect to the domain controller for this domain. Have
    > your administrator check your computer account on the
    > domain." I have already created a computer account on the
    > domain. If I enter the domain name with the .com at the
    > end I get "The domain controller for this domain cannot be
    > located." I can ping the domain controller by IP and by
    > name. TCP/IP, DNS, & WINS settings are correct. The only
    > thing not configured is default gateway, but all the
    > servers are on the same subnet. Any suggestions?

    Here's what I get

    Node IP Address [10.226.72.35] Scope ID: []
    Name
    DC1 <20> Unique 10.226.72.34
    Domain <1B> Unique 10.226.72.34
    DC1 <00> Unique 10.226.72.34
    DC2 <20> Unique 10.226.72.38

    Where DC1 & DC2 are Win2K Servers and domain controllers

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I would edit the lmhosts file to include the following
    and then attempt to join the domain:

    10.226.72.34 DC1 #PRE #DOM:domainName
    10.226.72.34 "Domainname \0x1B" #PRE

    How to Write an LMHOSTS File for Domain Validation and Other
    Name Resolution Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q180/0/94.ASP

    Let us know if this works.

    "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Here's what I get
    >
    > Node IP Address [10.226.72.35] Scope ID: []
    > Name
    > DC1 <20> Unique 10.226.72.34
    > Domain <1B> Unique 10.226.72.34
    > DC1 <00> Unique 10.226.72.34
    > DC2 <20> Unique 10.226.72.38
    >
    > Where DC1 & DC2 are Win2K Servers and domain controllers

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    That worked, thanks alot!!

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    It usually does..
    thanks for the update.

    "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > That worked, thanks alot!!