Can't join domain

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I have a Windows NT 4.0 SP5 server, not a domain
controller, that I'm trying to join our Win2K domain. I
right click on Network Neighborhood, choose the
Identification Tab, click change and type in the domain
name without the .com at the end. I get "Unable to
connect to the domain controller for this domain. Have
your administrator check your computer account on the
domain." I have already created a computer account on the
domain. If I enter the domain name with the .com at the
end I get "The domain controller for this domain cannot be
located." I can ping the domain controller by IP and by
name. TCP/IP, DNS, & WINS settings are correct. The only
thing not configured is default gateway, but all the
servers are on the same subnet. Any suggestions?

Immediately after the failed logon attempt open a dos
prompt and run nbtstat -c and verify the the following
netbios names are in the cache without conflict:
domain names 1b, 1c and computer names 00, 20,
and 03 all pointing towards the PDC of the domain
and without conflict.

"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Windows NT 4.0 SP5 server, not a domain
> controller, that I'm trying to join our Win2K domain. I
> right click on Network Neighborhood, choose the
> Identification Tab, click change and type in the domain
> name without the .com at the end. I get "Unable to
> connect to the domain controller for this domain. Have
> your administrator check your computer account on the
> domain." I have already created a computer account on the
> domain. If I enter the domain name with the .com at the
> end I get "The domain controller for this domain cannot be
> located." I can ping the domain controller by IP and by
> name. TCP/IP, DNS, & WINS settings are correct. The only
> thing not configured is default gateway, but all the
> servers are on the same subnet. Any suggestions?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Here's what I get

Node IP Address [10.226.72.35] Scope ID: []
Name
DC1 <20> Unique 10.226.72.34
Domain <1B> Unique 10.226.72.34
DC1 <00> Unique 10.226.72.34
DC2 <20> Unique 10.226.72.38

Where DC1 & DC2 are Win2K Servers and domain controllers

I would edit the lmhosts file to include the following
and then attempt to join the domain:

10.226.72.34 DC1 #PRE #DOM:domainName
10.226.72.34 "Domainname \0x1B" #PRE

How to Write an LMHOSTS File for Domain Validation and Other
Name Resolution Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q180/0/94.ASP

Let us know if this works.

"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here's what I get
>
> Node IP Address [10.226.72.35] Scope ID: []
> Name
> DC1 <20> Unique 10.226.72.34
> Domain <1B> Unique 10.226.72.34
> DC1 <00> Unique 10.226.72.34
> DC2 <20> Unique 10.226.72.38
>
> Where DC1 & DC2 are Win2K Servers and domain controllers

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

That worked, thanks alot!!