Repost For Help!! By DiAmOnD

Ok I do apologize for the unclarity in my last post!!!

My computer would be running, I would be in the middle of a game and
the monitor would just go black. The CPU fan would still be running as
if the computer was still On. I would then hold in the power button
Restart the computer and it might or might not boot. Meaning I would
not have any signal to my monitor no Bios intro or anything!

Steps I have Taken to resolve problem.
1.) I changed monitors Problem still remains
2.) I pulled out my vid card (agp) GeForce FX 5200 tried to revert to
onboard problem remains. No boot!
3.) I put in my wifes vid card PNY FX 5200 PCI the Computer would
then boot, I would get to windows 2mins tops then same Crash.
4.) I pulled battery on MB to Reset Cmos and Bios) I now know about
the jumper to clear cmos. I was able to get the computer to boot and
stay up for 3 days then crash occured again. Then Reason I tried this
is to get the PC to force back to Onboard Video at this point I was
Convinced it was a Video Problem However that is eliminated Video
cards are in good working order.
5.) The MB the Ram and the HD are all Brandnew.
6.) The Power Source and the the Processor XP 2400+ AMD Athalon Are
2years old 350watt Power Sup. I checked the Power Sup. Voltage to
the CPU 12+ 12+ grnd grnd yellow yellow black black. If I check the
yellow i get 26+ volts I am assuming it puts that much in and the MB
splits to 12v but this might be irrelevent. I checked the other plug
but only got one wire to show current. I am assuming I would need the
power supply tester so it could still be Plugged into the MB and you
could see the lights on the tester. Correct?
I am still thinking that the PSupply is OK and narrowed it down to MB
and CPU How can I check my CPU? How do I check my MB remind you it's
brandnew.. Cont on last crash Mind you I have Unplugged Computer let
sit then able to get it to function for maybe a few hours maybe a few
Days. But this Last time it was days and days trying to fiddle with
everything trying to get it to boot.
7.) I then took out the battery unplugged everything let sit for 2
days. Came back still no boot. I messed with it for about a half hour
it started to boot I went to bios Set Date time etc Esc Restart NO
boot.
8.) I took out the heatsinc and CPU Put it all back in and got it to
boot it got all the way to windows then it crashed again.. I pulled
out the CPU again it started to boot but where it usually said AMD
athalon 2400+ it now said 1800+ it was set at correct Voltage in the
Bios for 2400+ but this time it hung in the boot sequence after it
flashed 1800+ and did not boot. I tried pulling out the CPU again
Thinking I found a way to get it to boot but No!!! No boot again.

Does this Sound like it is my CPU? How can I check it? Is the
only way finding someone with a PC that would take AMD athalon and
trying it in that PC? Cause you know how they are on Returning a CPU
once its been installed and problem still exists.

Again I am sorry for the First Post I had just worked Graveyard
and Posted with no sleep. So it was unclear to my problem.. Hope this
post is better FOR YOU to read SoapBox!!!!

JohnS

This is one of those troubleshoots where I just start over.
I take a known good set of parts ... or a working system
.... and begin to swap the bad system parts into the good
system. I've never found a bad cpu or video card in
the 1000s of systems I've worked on. Generally, if
the thing has been working for a year or more and starts
this, there are 2 1/2 major components to check by
direct swap. First the Psupply. That is it 50% of the
time. Then the hard drive .. usually bad spots on the
disk .. maybe 30%. And last the mobo ... which is rare,
but back in the days of the Pentium IIIs, not so rare.
I estimate that 80% of the failed mobos were ASUS
rebooters. After that, I've seen problems like this
be caused by corrupted drivers in video games in
combination with user kluging like pulling parts, and
hitting switches until something else breaks. Then the
problem becomes one of weird ideas about what
could be wrong, and totally misleading the tech who
is trying to work on the thing. In your case, I would
guess bad psupply to start with.

johns

Have you checked the temp of the cpu? You can check the temp in the
bios.Watch it for a few minutes to see if there is a steady rise in temp.
Also,set your bios to default setting.