What about these Abit boards?

I'm confused about the differences between some of the socket 939 boards.
Which do I want for my new computer?
Fatal1ty AN8
AN8-V
AN8 V2.0
AN8 Ultra

The Fatal1ty has been recommended on a couple boards (Tom's Hardware,
arstechnica.com), but it's also a bit (get it?) pricey.
4 answers Last reply
More about what abit boards

    jeffc wrote:
    > I'm confused about the differences between some of the socket 939 boards.
    > Which do I want for my new computer?
    > Fatal1ty AN8
    > AN8-V
    > AN8 V2.0
    > AN8 Ultra
    >
    > The Fatal1ty has been recommended on a couple boards (Tom's Hardware,
    > arstechnica.com), but it's also a bit (get it?) pricey.

    What exactly do you need in a motherboard?

    "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
    > jeffc wrote:
    >> I'm confused about the differences between some of the socket 939 boards.
    >> Which do I want for my new computer?
    >> Fatal1ty AN8
    >> AN8-V
    >> AN8 V2.0
    >> AN8 Ultra
    >>
    >> The Fatal1ty has been recommended on a couple boards (Tom's Hardware,
    >> arstechnica.com), but it's also a bit (get it?) pricey.
    >>

    > What exactly do you need in a motherboard?

    Gaming, but not necessarily bleeding edge right now. SATA II, nForce4,
    PCIe, Gigabit ethernet, Firewire.

    I have the regular AN8 and it is pretty sweet. Very stable and
    overclockable. I have my Athlon 64 3200+ running at 2.4Ghz with no problems
    with Rosewill PC3200 memory. My previous board, an AX8 was good, but I could
    not get passed 2.2Ghz with the same memory and cpu without problems. I have
    a Radeon X800Pro running at 550/550 also in it.

    > "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
    > > jeffc wrote:
    > >> I'm confused about the differences between some of the socket 939
    boards.
    > >> Which do I want for my new computer?
    > >> Fatal1ty AN8
    > >> AN8-V
    > >> AN8 V2.0
    > >> AN8 Ultra
    > >>
    > >> The Fatal1ty has been recommended on a couple boards (Tom's Hardware,
    > >> arstechnica.com), but it's also a bit (get it?) pricey.
    > >>

    > > What exactly do you need in a motherboard?
    >
    > Gaming, but not necessarily bleeding edge right now. SATA II, nForce4,
    > PCIe, Gigabit ethernet, Firewire.

    SATA II is a waste of money. Drives haven't even come close to reaching SATA
    I speeds. Also,there are no SATA II drives on the market, and availabilty of
    sata II motherboards is very limited.
    Don't you just love Abit for putting out 4 or more version of a
    motherboard? They've been doing this a lot lately.

Homebuilt Hardware Tom's Hardware Systems Product