What about these Abit boards?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 20, 2005 7:34:37 AM

I'm confused about the differences between some of the socket 939 boards.
Which do I want for my new computer?
Fatal1ty AN8
AN8-V
AN8 V2.0
AN8 Ultra

The Fatal1ty has been recommended on a couple boards (Tom's Hardware,
arstechnica.com), but it's also a bit (get it?) pricey.

More about : abit boards

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 20, 2005 7:34:38 AM

jeffc wrote:
> I'm confused about the differences between some of the socket 939 boards.
> Which do I want for my new computer?
> Fatal1ty AN8
> AN8-V
> AN8 V2.0
> AN8 Ultra
>
> The Fatal1ty has been recommended on a couple boards (Tom's Hardware,
> arstechnica.com), but it's also a bit (get it?) pricey.

What exactly do you need in a motherboard?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 20, 2005 9:10:02 AM

"ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> jeffc wrote:
>> I'm confused about the differences between some of the socket 939 boards.
>> Which do I want for my new computer?
>> Fatal1ty AN8
>> AN8-V
>> AN8 V2.0
>> AN8 Ultra
>>
>> The Fatal1ty has been recommended on a couple boards (Tom's Hardware,
>> arstechnica.com), but it's also a bit (get it?) pricey.
>>

> What exactly do you need in a motherboard?

Gaming, but not necessarily bleeding edge right now. SATA II, nForce4,
PCIe, Gigabit ethernet, Firewire.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 20, 2005 9:04:50 PM

I have the regular AN8 and it is pretty sweet. Very stable and
overclockable. I have my Athlon 64 3200+ running at 2.4Ghz with no problems
with Rosewill PC3200 memory. My previous board, an AX8 was good, but I could
not get passed 2.2Ghz with the same memory and cpu without problems. I have
a Radeon X800Pro running at 550/550 also in it.

"jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm confused about the differences between some of the socket 939 boards.
> Which do I want for my new computer?
> Fatal1ty AN8
> AN8-V
> AN8 V2.0
> AN8 Ultra
>
> The Fatal1ty has been recommended on a couple boards (Tom's Hardware,
> arstechnica.com), but it's also a bit (get it?) pricey.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 21, 2005 12:30:25 AM

> "ToolPackinMama" <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote in message
> > jeffc wrote:
> >> I'm confused about the differences between some of the socket 939
boards.
> >> Which do I want for my new computer?
> >> Fatal1ty AN8
> >> AN8-V
> >> AN8 V2.0
> >> AN8 Ultra
> >>
> >> The Fatal1ty has been recommended on a couple boards (Tom's Hardware,
> >> arstechnica.com), but it's also a bit (get it?) pricey.
> >>

> > What exactly do you need in a motherboard?
>
> Gaming, but not necessarily bleeding edge right now. SATA II, nForce4,
> PCIe, Gigabit ethernet, Firewire.

SATA II is a waste of money. Drives haven't even come close to reaching SATA
I speeds. Also,there are no SATA II drives on the market, and availabilty of
sata II motherboards is very limited.
Don't you just love Abit for putting out 4 or more version of a
motherboard? They've been doing this a lot lately.
!