???Can't add machine to domain due to dns lookup problem???

jeff

I was told to post this in here as opposed to Windows 2000'
Hello Guys.....I have a functional domain and I can add
any other computers to it, but for some reason, this
machine "fell off" the domain and I cannot add it....when
i try, I get this error: "The following error occurred
validating the name "CONCORD". This condition may be
caused by a DNS lookup problem. For information about
troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems, please see the
following Microsoft Web site:
http://go.microsoft/com/fwlink/?LinkId=5171"

I have checked out that site, but it just talks about
active directory and we don't even use active directory
here.....I can't seem to figure out what to do at this
point....usually when a machine falls off the domain, I
simply remove it from the domain on the machine, and
uninstall and reinstall the network drivers and re-add it
to the domain and it works, but not this time.....I would
appreciate ANY help you could offer in this
matter....thank you!

And to be a a bit more specific with the
information I provided. We are on an NT domain, our DNS
server is running Red Hat Linux 9, we DON'T use WINS here,
and the DHCP server is serving up the correct DNS server
entries......

The client machine is also NT? Where and how are you
attempting to add it back? What specific problem or error
leads you to believe it fell off the domain?

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was told to post this in here as opposed to Windows 2000'
> Hello Guys.....I have a functional domain and I can add
> any other computers to it, but for some reason, this
> machine "fell off" the domain and I cannot add it....when
> i try, I get this error: "The following error occurred
> validating the name "CONCORD". This condition may be
> caused by a DNS lookup problem. For information about
> troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems, please see the
> following Microsoft Web site:
> http://go.microsoft/com/fwlink/?LinkId=5171"
>
> I have checked out that site, but it just talks about
> active directory and we don't even use active directory
> here.....I can't seem to figure out what to do at this
> point....usually when a machine falls off the domain, I
> simply remove it from the domain on the machine, and
> uninstall and reinstall the network drivers and re-add it
> to the domain and it works, but not this time.....I would
> appreciate ANY help you could offer in this
> matter....thank you!
>
> And to be a a bit more specific with the
> information I provided. We are on an NT domain, our DNS
> server is running Red Hat Linux 9, we DON'T use WINS here,
> and the DHCP server is serving up the correct DNS server
> entries......

jeff

The client is Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4
I was unable to add any extra users from the domain, which
I have seen here on the network in the past, and usually
removing it and re-adding it to the domain fixes the
problem. Also, in Server Manager, the machine is grey, as
if it is not on the domain, but the client thinks it is
still on the domain. I am trying to re-add the computer
from the client....as soon as I enter in any domain( I
have a test domain as well that I tried to add it to,
which leads me to believe it is NOT a domain issue) I get
that error.

If so there were no details?
Open a dos prompt and run net view; what do you see?
Next attempt to manually map to a share on the PDC.
If not successful what is the exact error?

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The client is Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4
> I was unable to add any extra users from the domain, which
> I have seen here on the network in the past, and usually
> removing it and re-adding it to the domain fixes the
> problem. Also, in Server Manager, the machine is grey, as
> if it is not on the domain, but the client thinks it is
> still on the domain. I am trying to re-add the computer
> from the client....as soon as I enter in any domain( I
> have a test domain as well that I tried to add it to,
> which leads me to believe it is NOT a domain issue) I get
> that error.

jeff

Well, after days of trouble-shooting, I tried to add the
CONCORD domain to an lmhosts file and add it to the domain
after that....this ended up solving the issue, but not
sure why it didn't work without this entry......the rest
of the machines on dhcp work just fine....any ideas??

p.s. I could not map any drives successfully before that

It's called netbios name resolution. The Machine will need
to resolve a few netbios names in order to find the PDC of
the domain because in NT 4.0 changes can only be made on
the PDC as it holds the only modifiable copy of the SAM
database.
"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, after days of trouble-shooting, I tried to add the
> CONCORD domain to an lmhosts file and add it to the domain
> after that....this ended up solving the issue, but not
> sure why it didn't work without this entry......the rest
> of the machines on dhcp work just fine....any ideas??
>
> p.s. I could not map any drives successfully before that

jeff

Well, I understand the netbios part of it, but what
doesn't make sense is the clients all receive their
netbios information from the dhcp server, which should
include the domain information. That's the confusing
part.....any ideas why this particular client wouldn't
receive this information? Do you still believe this may
be a domain-wide issue that will continue to re-occur, or
if it may be just client-based?? thanks!

The clients receive no Netbios information from the DHCP in any environment.
They only receive if netbios on tcp/ip is on/off. They receive Netbios
information ONLY from WINS or broadcast and from the local Segment Master
Browser for each segment(subnet) on the network. Most likely browsing wasn't
working with this machine and causing not to find the PDC. DNS has nothing
to do with this in a NT4 domain at all. Netbios name resolution is only done
by Lmhosts files or WINS or broadcasts.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

> Well, I understand the netbios part of it, but what
> doesn't make sense is the clients all receive their
> netbios information from the dhcp server, which should
> include the domain information. That's the confusing
> part.....any ideas why this particular client wouldn't
> receive this information? Do you still believe this may
> be a domain-wide issue that will continue to re-occur, or
> if it may be just client-based?? thanks!

So then when I go to my networking control panel under
TCP/IP settings, and it says, "Use NETBIOS setting from
the DHCP server. If static IP address is used or the DHCP
server does not provide NETBIOS setting, enable NETBIOS
over TCP/IP" that doesn't mean anything? If DHCP has
nothing to do with this, why is this option available?
someone please explain since I am even more confused than
before....thank you......no other clients I have on the
network use lmhosts by the way.....thanks!

Yes they get the Netbios node type and they get the
tcp/ip addresses of the NBNS or netbios name servers.
When a connection attempt is made in a WINS environment
the client will query the name server for name to tcp/ip
address translation. The names stay in the netbios name
table for a default of 10 minutes.

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, I understand the netbios part of it, but what
> doesn't make sense is the clients all receive their
> netbios information from the dhcp server, which should
> include the domain information. That's the confusing
> part.....any ideas why this particular client wouldn't
> receive this information? Do you still believe this may
> be a domain-wide issue that will continue to re-occur, or
> if it may be just client-based?? thanks!

jeff

Well, I have seen machines "fall off" the domain before at
this network, and they are not running WINS.....so that
could be the problem with all of this? If so, I will
definitely let them know and go from there.....It's just
strange how most of the other clients are fine, with the
exception of a few here and there over time. I have not
been able to figure out why it happens to certain machines
and not others......thanks a lot for all your help though
and the information has been greatly appreciated!

Provided options 044 NBNS (netbios name server)
and 046 (netbios node type) are configured in DHCP
the DHCP server will tell the client which WINS servers
to point towards for name resolution and configure the
netbios node type. The DHCP server is not responsible
for name to tcp/ip address translation that's the WINS
servers job.
> So then when I go to my networking control panel under
> TCP/IP settings, and it says, "Use NETBIOS setting from
> the DHCP server. If static IP address is used or the DHCP
> server does not provide NETBIOS setting, enable NETBIOS
> over TCP/IP" that doesn't mean anything? If DHCP has
> nothing to do with this, why is this option available?
> someone please explain since I am even more confused than
> before....thank you......no other clients I have on the
> network use lmhosts by the way.....thanks!

They don't necessarily fall off of the domain
rather they lose the ability to find a domain
controller of the domain for one reason or
another. A WINS server may do the trick
for you but there could be other reasons.

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, I have seen machines "fall off" the domain before at
> this network, and they are not running WINS.....so that
> could be the problem with all of this? If so, I will
> definitely let them know and go from there.....It's just
> strange how most of the other clients are fine, with the
> exception of a few here and there over time. I have not
> been able to figure out why it happens to certain machines
> and not others......thanks a lot for all your help though
> and the information has been greatly appreciated!

jeff

And those other reasons might be.....???? Even if you
pointed me in a general direction, I could investigate on
my own.....this is something they really want to find an
answer to, and I feel as though it may reoccur if not
handled.....thanks

A common problem with having W2k or higher machines
in an NT 4.0 domain is they sometimes force browse elections
in an attempt to become the master browser for the domain.
This causes some clients to register with that particular W2k
or higher machine as the SMB or segment master browser
instead of the actual SMB hence they don't show up in the browse
list giving they appearance of falling off the domain. I would start
by disabling the computer browser service on all W2k or higher
machines in your NT 4.0 domain.

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> And those other reasons might be.....???? Even if you
> pointed me in a general direction, I could investigate on
> my own.....this is something they really want to find an
> answer to, and I feel as though it may reoccur if not
> handled.....thanks

jeff

I thought that might be one problem.....I noticed in the
Event Log on the PDC that a couple miscellaneous computers
sent out a browse master request. By default we have been
disabling this service, but sometimes we have visitors or
what not.....thank you

Your welcome.