???Can't add machine to domain due to dns lookup problem???

I was told to post this in here as opposed to Windows 2000'
Hello Guys.....I have a functional domain and I can add
any other computers to it, but for some reason, this
machine "fell off" the domain and I cannot add it....when
i try, I get this error: "The following error occurred
validating the name "CONCORD". This condition may be
caused by a DNS lookup problem. For information about
troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems, please see the
following Microsoft Web site:
http://go.microsoft/com/fwlink/?LinkId=5171"

I have checked out that site, but it just talks about
active directory and we don't even use active directory
here.....I can't seem to figure out what to do at this
point....usually when a machine falls off the domain, I
simply remove it from the domain on the machine, and
uninstall and reinstall the network drivers and re-add it
to the domain and it works, but not this time.....I would
appreciate ANY help you could offer in this
matter....thank you!

And to be a a bit more specific with the
information I provided. We are on an NT domain, our DNS
server is running Red Hat Linux 9, we DON'T use WINS here,
and the DHCP server is serving up the correct DNS server
entries......
16 answers Last reply
More about machine domain lookup problem

    The client machine is also NT? Where and how are you
    attempting to add it back? What specific problem or error
    leads you to believe it fell off the domain?

    "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I was told to post this in here as opposed to Windows 2000'
    > Hello Guys.....I have a functional domain and I can add
    > any other computers to it, but for some reason, this
    > machine "fell off" the domain and I cannot add it....when
    > i try, I get this error: "The following error occurred
    > validating the name "CONCORD". This condition may be
    > caused by a DNS lookup problem. For information about
    > troubleshooting common DNS lookup problems, please see the
    > following Microsoft Web site:
    > http://go.microsoft/com/fwlink/?LinkId=5171"
    >
    > I have checked out that site, but it just talks about
    > active directory and we don't even use active directory
    > here.....I can't seem to figure out what to do at this
    > point....usually when a machine falls off the domain, I
    > simply remove it from the domain on the machine, and
    > uninstall and reinstall the network drivers and re-add it
    > to the domain and it works, but not this time.....I would
    > appreciate ANY help you could offer in this
    > matter....thank you!
    >
    > And to be a a bit more specific with the
    > information I provided. We are on an NT domain, our DNS
    > server is running Red Hat Linux 9, we DON'T use WINS here,
    > and the DHCP server is serving up the correct DNS server
    > entries......

    The client is Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4
    I was unable to add any extra users from the domain, which
    I have seen here on the network in the past, and usually
    removing it and re-adding it to the domain fixes the
    problem. Also, in Server Manager, the machine is grey, as
    if it is not on the domain, but the client thinks it is
    still on the domain. I am trying to re-add the computer
    from the client....as soon as I enter in any domain( I
    have a test domain as well that I tried to add it to,
    which leads me to believe it is NOT a domain issue) I get
    that error.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    This error:?
    "The following error occurred validating the name "CONCORD".

    If so there were no details?
    Open a dos prompt and run net view; what do you see?
    Next attempt to manually map to a share on the PDC.
    If not successful what is the exact error?

    "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The client is Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4
    > I was unable to add any extra users from the domain, which
    > I have seen here on the network in the past, and usually
    > removing it and re-adding it to the domain fixes the
    > problem. Also, in Server Manager, the machine is grey, as
    > if it is not on the domain, but the client thinks it is
    > still on the domain. I am trying to re-add the computer
    > from the client....as soon as I enter in any domain( I
    > have a test domain as well that I tried to add it to,
    > which leads me to believe it is NOT a domain issue) I get
    > that error.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Well, after days of trouble-shooting, I tried to add the
    CONCORD domain to an lmhosts file and add it to the domain
    after that....this ended up solving the issue, but not
    sure why it didn't work without this entry......the rest
    of the machines on dhcp work just fine....any ideas??

    p.s. I could not map any drives successfully before that

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    It's called netbios name resolution. The Machine will need
    to resolve a few netbios names in order to find the PDC of
    the domain because in NT 4.0 changes can only be made on
    the PDC as it holds the only modifiable copy of the SAM
    database.
    "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Well, after days of trouble-shooting, I tried to add the
    > CONCORD domain to an lmhosts file and add it to the domain
    > after that....this ended up solving the issue, but not
    > sure why it didn't work without this entry......the rest
    > of the machines on dhcp work just fine....any ideas??
    >
    > p.s. I could not map any drives successfully before that
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Well, I understand the netbios part of it, but what
    doesn't make sense is the clients all receive their
    netbios information from the dhcp server, which should
    include the domain information. That's the confusing
    part.....any ideas why this particular client wouldn't
    receive this information? Do you still believe this may
    be a domain-wide issue that will continue to re-occur, or
    if it may be just client-based?? thanks!

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    The clients receive no Netbios information from the DHCP in any environment.
    They only receive if netbios on tcp/ip is on/off. They receive Netbios
    information ONLY from WINS or broadcast and from the local Segment Master
    Browser for each segment(subnet) on the network. Most likely browsing wasn't
    working with this machine and causing not to find the PDC. DNS has nothing
    to do with this in a NT4 domain at all. Netbios name resolution is only done
    by Lmhosts files or WINS or broadcasts.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    > Well, I understand the netbios part of it, but what
    > doesn't make sense is the clients all receive their
    > netbios information from the dhcp server, which should
    > include the domain information. That's the confusing
    > part.....any ideas why this particular client wouldn't
    > receive this information? Do you still believe this may
    > be a domain-wide issue that will continue to re-occur, or
    > if it may be just client-based?? thanks!

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    So then when I go to my networking control panel under
    TCP/IP settings, and it says, "Use NETBIOS setting from
    the DHCP server. If static IP address is used or the DHCP
    server does not provide NETBIOS setting, enable NETBIOS
    over TCP/IP" that doesn't mean anything? If DHCP has
    nothing to do with this, why is this option available?
    someone please explain since I am even more confused than
    before....thank you......no other clients I have on the
    network use lmhosts by the way.....thanks!

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Yes they get the Netbios node type and they get the
    tcp/ip addresses of the NBNS or netbios name servers.
    When a connection attempt is made in a WINS environment
    the client will query the name server for name to tcp/ip
    address translation. The names stay in the netbios name
    table for a default of 10 minutes.

    "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Well, I understand the netbios part of it, but what
    > doesn't make sense is the clients all receive their
    > netbios information from the dhcp server, which should
    > include the domain information. That's the confusing
    > part.....any ideas why this particular client wouldn't
    > receive this information? Do you still believe this may
    > be a domain-wide issue that will continue to re-occur, or
    > if it may be just client-based?? thanks!
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Well, I have seen machines "fall off" the domain before at
    this network, and they are not running WINS.....so that
    could be the problem with all of this? If so, I will
    definitely let them know and go from there.....It's just
    strange how most of the other clients are fine, with the
    exception of a few here and there over time. I have not
    been able to figure out why it happens to certain machines
    and not others......thanks a lot for all your help though
    and the information has been greatly appreciated!

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Provided options 044 NBNS (netbios name server)
    and 046 (netbios node type) are configured in DHCP
    the DHCP server will tell the client which WINS servers
    to point towards for name resolution and configure the
    netbios node type. The DHCP server is not responsible
    for name to tcp/ip address translation that's the WINS
    servers job.
    > So then when I go to my networking control panel under
    > TCP/IP settings, and it says, "Use NETBIOS setting from
    > the DHCP server. If static IP address is used or the DHCP
    > server does not provide NETBIOS setting, enable NETBIOS
    > over TCP/IP" that doesn't mean anything? If DHCP has
    > nothing to do with this, why is this option available?
    > someone please explain since I am even more confused than
    > before....thank you......no other clients I have on the
    > network use lmhosts by the way.....thanks!
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    They don't necessarily fall off of the domain
    rather they lose the ability to find a domain
    controller of the domain for one reason or
    another. A WINS server may do the trick
    for you but there could be other reasons.

    "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Well, I have seen machines "fall off" the domain before at
    > this network, and they are not running WINS.....so that
    > could be the problem with all of this? If so, I will
    > definitely let them know and go from there.....It's just
    > strange how most of the other clients are fine, with the
    > exception of a few here and there over time. I have not
    > been able to figure out why it happens to certain machines
    > and not others......thanks a lot for all your help though
    > and the information has been greatly appreciated!

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    And those other reasons might be.....???? Even if you
    pointed me in a general direction, I could investigate on
    my own.....this is something they really want to find an
    answer to, and I feel as though it may reoccur if not
    handled.....thanks

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    A common problem with having W2k or higher machines
    in an NT 4.0 domain is they sometimes force browse elections
    in an attempt to become the master browser for the domain.
    This causes some clients to register with that particular W2k
    or higher machine as the SMB or segment master browser
    instead of the actual SMB hence they don't show up in the browse
    list giving they appearance of falling off the domain. I would start
    by disabling the computer browser service on all W2k or higher
    machines in your NT 4.0 domain.

    "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > And those other reasons might be.....???? Even if you
    > pointed me in a general direction, I could investigate on
    > my own.....this is something they really want to find an
    > answer to, and I feel as though it may reoccur if not
    > handled.....thanks

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    I thought that might be one problem.....I noticed in the
    Event Log on the PDC that a couple miscellaneous computers
    sent out a browse master request. By default we have been
    disabling this service, but sometimes we have visitors or
    what not.....thank you

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Your welcome.

    "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I thought that might be one problem.....I noticed in the
    > Event Log on the PDC that a couple miscellaneous computers
    > sent out a browse master request. By default we have been
    > disabling this service, but sometimes we have visitors or
    > what not.....thank you

Domain Microsoft DNS Windows