Very low power PC?

Id like to give a try at building my own PC

However.... I'm wanting something very low power
consumption as I intend to leave the PC on 24/7.

Is it even possible to have a low power desktop PC?

Not much utility in a PC that one has to turn off/on
whenever needing to use it at home.... in my opinion.

Also... may want to leave it on 24/7 to act as a PVR
21 answers Last reply
More about very power

    me@privacy.net wrote:
    > Id like to give a try at building my own PC
    >
    > However.... I'm wanting something very low power
    > consumption as I intend to leave the PC on 24/7.
    >
    > Is it even possible to have a low power desktop PC?
    >
    > Not much utility in a PC that one has to turn off/on
    > whenever needing to use it at home.... in my opinion.
    >
    > Also... may want to leave it on 24/7 to act as a PVR

    Get a Via C3 machine. I got a barebones shuttle system with a 1GHz
    Nehemiah processor onboard. It has built in sound, graphics, LAN,
    firewire, and USB. It's in a small Ali case, which looks amazing, and
    was £130 from overclockersUK. Just had a look though, and they seem
    to have stopped doing it.

    The 1GHz CPU I had has a max power consumption of about 18W, whereas
    other modern processors are all over 50W. They do some slower
    processors which are even cooler though, and you can get them in the
    mini-itx (very small) form factor. Some of these are now available on
    ebuyer, but are relatively expensive becaue of their size.

    The performance of these CPUs isn't like Athlons or Pentiums, but I
    haven't found much difference between my 1GHz C3, and my Athlon XP
    1700+. The FPU is supposed to be rubbish, and it does seem to take a
    long time for compression and decompression (such as zip files). The
    other cores (non-Nehemiah) have a half speed FPU which makes them even
    worse. I've added a PCI Geforce 4 MX440 to my C3 machine, and it can
    play Counterstrike at a high resolution with no problems. In fact it
    matched my Athlon XP 1700+ with a similar graphics car, but with the
    APG verion. For some strange reason the CPU usage seems to be
    approxamately half on the C3, than the XP. It's only at 22% while
    running Counterstrike, so Counterstrike obviously isn't CPU intensive.

    I'm not sure what a PVR is. These kind of machines would be ideal for
    something like a file server though. There's loads of mini-itx stuff
    available at mini-itx.com

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 09:46:36 -0500, me wrote:

    > Id like to give a try at building my own PC
    >
    > However.... I'm wanting something very low power
    > consumption as I intend to leave the PC on 24/7.
    >
    > Is it even possible to have a low power desktop PC?
    >
    > Not much utility in a PC that one has to turn off/on
    > whenever needing to use it at home.... in my opinion.
    >
    > Also... may want to leave it on 24/7 to act as a PVR

    I recently did a power-consumption test on a P-II-300mhz
    and found that in idle it only drew 50 watts!
    Under full cpu load it was perhaps 100 or so

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > Id like to give a try at building my own PC
    >
    > However.... I'm wanting something very low power
    > consumption as I intend to leave the PC on 24/7.
    > Is it even possible to have a low power desktop PC?

    Probably not if you want to use it for serious gaming.

    Integrated components such as sound, video, and modem/LAN probably
    are lower power. They are usually lower performance too.

    > Not much utility in a PC that one has to turn off/on
    > whenever needing to use it at home.... in my opinion.

    Leave it on except turn it off at night? Use a CPU idling program?
    Try power management?

    > Also... may want to leave it on 24/7 to act as a PVR

    >Leave it on except turn it off at night? Use a CPU idling program?
    >Try power management?

    yreah I know I can do all that

    but was curious if there are some low power
    components... CPU, etc.... one can use to "design in"
    low power efficiency

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > Not much utility in a PC that one has to turn off/on
    > whenever needing to use it at home.... in my opinion.

    Of course that really depends on the details of your usage.

    I forgot to mention windows XP includes something called
    "hibernation". You probably are not always connected to the
    Internet, like an Internet instant messaging program, so you could
    use that I suppose.

    If I were you, I might tailor my search towards achieving that end.
    It is a challenge, others might have better advice (maybe in other
    groups too), I gave up using power management or anything like
    hibernation a long time ago (except for the monitor and hard disk
    drive). You will definitely want to use the most recent operating
    system.

    Seems to me that otherwise you would go with a notebook PC.

    Good luck.

    --
    sorry for the additional reply

    >Seems to me that otherwise you would go with a notebook PC.

    yeah that may be a better option really

    > I gave up using power management or anything like
    >hibernation a long time ago (except for the monitor and hard disk
    >drive)

    Curious as to why you gave it up?

    Too much hassle to setup? Didn't work as expected?

    It will be spendy and choices of MBD are limited, but you can build a
    Pentium-M based desktop.

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    >> I gave up using power management or anything like
    >>hibernation a long time ago (except for the monitor and hard disk
    >>drive)
    >
    > Curious as to why you gave it up?
    > Too much hassle to setup? Didn't work as expected?

    Did not work as expected. Seems to me that Microsoft has had a
    difficult time coordinating its operating system efforts with
    mainboard maker's efforts. Others may have other experiences.

    Over time the technology becomes more efficient for the same speed,
    but still the higher the power the faster the system (and vice
    versa).

    If you don't like waiting for Windows to boot, see if hibernation
    will work. I would be interested to know whether it works for you.
    Maybe you can test it on your current system. Whatever, please let
    us know how it goes.

    Good luck.

    "Tweek" <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > It will be spendy and choices of MBD are limited, but you can build a
    > Pentium-M based desktop.
    >
    > <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > Id like to give a try at building my own PC
    > >
    > > However.... I'm wanting something very low power
    > > consumption as I intend to leave the PC on 24/7.
    > >
    > > Is it even possible to have a low power desktop PC?
    > >
    > > Not much utility in a PC that one has to turn off/on
    > > whenever needing to use it at home.... in my opinion.
    > >
    > > Also... may want to leave it on 24/7 to act as a PVR

    An adaptor just came out that allows the Pentium-M to be used in Socket 478
    motherboards.
    http://theinquirer.net/?article=22948

    In article <Xns965C6C5F54567wisdomfolly@64.164.98.6>, John Doe says...

    > Probably not if you want to use it for serious gaming.

    THings have changed. Companies are now making motherboards which allow
    you to use a Pentium M.

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

    In article <Xns965C88B958CEBwisdomfolly@64.164.98.29>, John Doe says...

    > Did not work as expected. Seems to me that Microsoft has had a
    > difficult time coordinating its operating system efforts with
    > mainboard maker's efforts. Others may have other experiences.

    It isn't Microsoft that has the issues, its the hardware driver
    writers.

    --

    In article <u05s8112it06tle3grgt9h5avlm5mvkmdv@4ax.com>, says...
    > >Leave it on except turn it off at night? Use a CPU idling program?
    > >Try power management?
    >
    > yreah I know I can do all that
    >
    > but was curious if there are some low power
    > components... CPU, etc.... one can use to "design in"
    > low power efficiency

    Absolutely. Use mobile CPUs. Use slower CPUs. Use RAM instead of a HDD.

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

    In article <AIrje.798388$w62.292217@bgtnsc05-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...

    > An adaptor just came out that allows the Pentium-M to be used in Socket 478
    > motherboards.

    And there's even dedicated Pentium-M mobos now appearing.

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    John Doe <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid> wrote in

    > me@privacy.net wrote:
    >
    >>> I gave up using power management or anything like
    >>>hibernation a long time ago (except for the monitor and hard disk
    >>>drive)
    >>
    >> Curious as to why you gave it up?
    >> Too much hassle to setup? Didn't work as expected?
    >
    > Did not work as expected. Seems to me that Microsoft has had a
    > difficult time coordinating its operating system efforts with
    > mainboard maker's efforts. Others may have other experiences.

    I also have had problems with hibernation and standby modes in Windows. The
    difficulties that I experienced were mostly related to Internet
    connectivity after the PC came out of those modes. A reboot was needed to
    solve the problem.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    True, but it only works with three ASUS boards.

    "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > "Tweek" <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> It will be spendy and choices of MBD are limited, but you can build a
    >> Pentium-M based desktop.
    >>
    >> <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> > Id like to give a try at building my own PC
    >> >
    >> > However.... I'm wanting something very low power
    >> > consumption as I intend to leave the PC on 24/7.
    >> >
    >> > Is it even possible to have a low power desktop PC?
    >> >
    >> > Not much utility in a PC that one has to turn off/on
    >> > whenever needing to use it at home.... in my opinion.
    >> >
    >> > Also... may want to leave it on 24/7 to act as a PVR
    >>

    > An adaptor just came out that allows the Pentium-M to be used in Socket
    > 478
    > motherboards.
    > http://theinquirer.net/?article=22948

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    philo wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 09:46:36 -0500, me wrote:
    >
    > > Id like to give a try at building my own PC
    > >
    > > However.... I'm wanting something very low power
    > > consumption as I intend to leave the PC on 24/7.
    > >
    > > Is it even possible to have a low power desktop PC?
    > >
    > > Not much utility in a PC that one has to turn off/on
    > > whenever needing to use it at home.... in my opinion.
    > >
    > > Also... may want to leave it on 24/7 to act as a PVR
    >

    > I recently did a power-consumption test on a P-II-300mhz
    > and found that in idle it only drew 50 watts!
    > Under full cpu load it was perhaps 100 or so

    Is that the power of the whole computer? A PII-300MHz is probably less
    than 20W max.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Conor wrote:
    > Absolutely. Use mobile CPUs. Use slower CPUs. Use RAM instead of a
    HDD.

    The Althon mobile XP's have a very low power rating, and are unlocked
    so can be underclocked to be even cooler.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    like mine down mentioned @ 1,35GHz

    >Under full cpu load it was perhaps 100 or so

    impossible, mine does 65W ...
    --
    Regards , SPAJKY ®
    mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com

    >I'm not sure what a PVR is

    Stands for "personal video recorder"

    Basically using your PC as a high tech VCR
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "user57" wrote:
    > >I'm not sure what a PVR is
    >
    > Stands for "personal video recorder"
    >
    > Basically using your PC as a high tech VCR

    Try using a highly efficient desktop power supply:

    - 80% or greater efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% of rated load.
    - True power factor of 0.9 or greater.

    There’s a list of suppliers at www.80plus.org.

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Home-Built-low-power-PC-ftopict56169.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=287024