Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Add NT 4 Workstation in a W2K Domain without PDC Emulator

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 6:17:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

I have some Windows NT 4.0 workstation in a Windows 2000
AD Site behide a firewall. The replication of the DCs
occours normally, because just the replication ports are
open in the firewall, and just for the DCs IP. When I want
to add a W2K Professional to the domain, is OK. But It not
works with the Windows NT 4.0 Workstation. I install the
WINS service and add the Domain name entry. but it dont
works. I install the DSClient in the workstation. and
nothing... what can i do to resolve this issue?

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 2:51:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

What exact error do you receive while attempting to
add an NT 4.0 workstation to the domain?

"Gustavo Montanha" <gustavo.montanha@gvt.net.br> wrote in message
> I have some Windows NT 4.0 workstation in a Windows 2000
> AD Site behide a firewall. The replication of the DCs
> occours normally, because just the replication ports are
> open in the firewall, and just for the DCs IP. When I want
> to add a W2K Professional to the domain, is OK. But It not
> works with the Windows NT 4.0 Workstation. I install the
> WINS service and add the Domain name entry. but it dont
> works. I install the DSClient in the workstation. and
> nothing... what can i do to resolve this issue?
>
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 8:39:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Michael, when I try to add the workstation, I´m prompt for an account to add
to the domain. If it happens The domain was found. OK? but when I put the an
administrator account (with all rights) I receive a message that the DC for
this domain was not found. I think that this workstation is trying to find
the PDC for this domain, but the PDC emulator was in other Site, separated
with a firewall.

There are any other thing to add this workstation?

Thanks

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:o v9$2FLSEHA.620@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> What exact error do you receive while attempting to
> add an NT 4.0 workstation to the domain?
>
> "Gustavo Montanha" <gustavo.montanha@gvt.net.br> wrote in message
> > I have some Windows NT 4.0 workstation in a Windows 2000
> > AD Site behide a firewall. The replication of the DCs
> > occours normally, because just the replication ports are
> > open in the firewall, and just for the DCs IP. When I want
> > to add a W2K Professional to the domain, is OK. But It not
> > works with the Windows NT 4.0 Workstation. I install the
> > WINS service and add the Domain name entry. but it dont
> > works. I install the DSClient in the workstation. and
> > nothing... what can i do to resolve this issue?
> >
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 12:49:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

In news:eYtVtLaSEHA.3140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Gustavo Montanha <gustavo.montanha@gvt.net.br> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Michael, when I try to add the workstation, I´m prompt for an account
> to add to the domain. If it happens The domain was found. OK? but
> when I put the an administrator account (with all rights) I receive a
> message that the DC for this domain was not found. I think that this
> workstation is trying to find the PDC for this domain, but the PDC
> emulator was in other Site, separated with a firewall.
>
> There are any other thing to add this workstation?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com>
> wrote in message news:o v9$2FLSEHA.620@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> What exact error do you receive while attempting to
>> add an NT 4.0 workstation to the domain?
>>
>> "Gustavo Montanha" <gustavo.montanha@gvt.net.br> wrote in message
>>> I have some Windows NT 4.0 workstation in a Windows 2000
>>> AD Site behide a firewall. The replication of the DCs
>>> occours normally, because just the replication ports are
>>> open in the firewall, and just for the DCs IP. When I want
>>> to add a W2K Professional to the domain, is OK. But It not
>>> works with the Windows NT 4.0 Workstation. I install the
>>> WINS service and add the Domain name entry. but it dont
>>> works. I install the DSClient in the workstation. and
>>> nothing... what can i do to resolve this issue?

To add an NT4 Client to an Active Directory Domain you have to first
manually create the NT4 account in ADUC, then select the Allow pre-Windows
2000 computers to use this account check box.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;251335&Product=ntw40

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
==========================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
==========================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
==========================================
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:51:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Hi Gustavo,

You must have the necessary ports open on the Firewall in
order for a secure netbios connection between the PDC and
the client machine although you may not want to do this if the
firewall is connected to the internet this is a serious security
risk. The client will look for the NT 4.0 PDC emulator in
order to join the domain because in an NT 4.0 domain the
PDC holds the only modifiable copy of the SAM database.

"Gustavo Montanha" <gustavo.montanha@gvt.net.br> wrote in message
> Michael, when I try to add the workstation, I´m prompt for an account
to add
> to the domain. If it happens The domain was found. OK? but when I put
the an
> administrator account (with all rights) I receive a message that the
DC for
> this domain was not found. I think that this workstation is trying to
find
> the PDC for this domain, but the PDC emulator was in other Site,
separated
> with a firewall.
>
> There are any other thing to add this workstation?
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:54:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Hi Kevin,
The article you posted doesn't support your statement. Perhaps
you posted the wrong one? AFAIK You can certainly add an NT 4.0
member to an AD domain without creating the account first.

"Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Gustavo Montanha" <gustavo.montanha@gvt.net.br> wrote in message
> >>> I have some Windows NT 4.0 workstation in a Windows 2000
> >>> AD Site behide a firewall. The replication of the DCs
> >>> occours normally, because just the replication ports are
> >>> open in the firewall, and just for the DCs IP. When I want
> >>> to add a W2K Professional to the domain, is OK. But It not
> >>> works with the Windows NT 4.0 Workstation. I install the
> >>> WINS service and add the Domain name entry. but it dont
> >>> works. I install the DSClient in the workstation. and
> >>> nothing... what can i do to resolve this issue?
>
> To add an NT4 Client to an Active Directory Domain you have to first
> manually create the NT4 account in ADUC, then select the Allow
pre-Windows
> 2000 computers to use this account check box.
>
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;251335&Product=ntw40
>
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 4:28:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

In news:o DlqFCWTEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Michael Giorgio - MS MVP <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> posted a
question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin,
> The article you posted doesn't support your statement. Perhaps
> you posted the wrong one? AFAIK You can certainly add an NT 4.0
> member to an AD domain without creating the account first.
>

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, use the appropriate method.
Method 1: Pre-Create the User's Computer Account
1.. From the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in, right-click the
container where the account resides.
2.. Click New, and then click Computer.
3.. In the Computer name box, type the name of the Windows 2000-based
computer that you want to add to the domain.

Make sure the computer's name is also entered in the Computer name
(pre-Windows 2000) box (this should occur automatically).
4.. Click Change. Select the user or group that will be joining this
computer to the domain, and then click OK.
5.. If you want Windows NT 4.0 and previous operating systems to use this
computer name object, click to select the Allow pre-Windows 2000 computers
to use this account check box, and then click OK.



--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
==========================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
==========================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
==========================================
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 5:54:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

I read the article Kevin but thanks. The specific error which
Gustavo posted was "domain not found". The KB article you
posted is dependant on the domain being found.

"Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
news:urdCrckTEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In news:o DlqFCWTEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Michael Giorgio - MS MVP <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> posted
a
> question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Hi Kevin,
> > The article you posted doesn't support your statement. Perhaps
> > you posted the wrong one? AFAIK You can certainly add an NT 4.0
> > member to an AD domain without creating the account first.
> >
>
> RESOLUTION
> To resolve this problem, use the appropriate method.
> Method 1: Pre-Create the User's Computer Account
> 1.. From the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in,
right-click the
> container where the account resides.
> 2.. Click New, and then click Computer.
> 3.. In the Computer name box, type the name of the Windows
2000-based
> computer that you want to add to the domain.
>
> Make sure the computer's name is also entered in the Computer name
> (pre-Windows 2000) box (this should occur automatically).
> 4.. Click Change. Select the user or group that will be joining this
> computer to the domain, and then click OK.
> 5.. If you want Windows NT 4.0 and previous operating systems to use
this
> computer name object, click to select the Allow pre-Windows 2000
computers
> to use this account check box, and then click OK.
>
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
> ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ==========================================
> Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
> It will strip signature out and more
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
> ==========================================
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
> ==========================================
>
>
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 5:59:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Also I was looking for a reference to back your statement:

"To add an NT4 Client to an Active Directory Domain you have to first
manually create the NT4 account in ADUC, then select the Allow
pre-Windows
2000 computers to use this account check box."

I am honestly not trying to be a PITA I would like to clarify
because I wasn't aware of this.


"Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
news:urdCrckTEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In news:o DlqFCWTEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Michael Giorgio - MS MVP <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> posted
a
> question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Hi Kevin,
> > The article you posted doesn't support your statement. Perhaps
> > you posted the wrong one? AFAIK You can certainly add an NT 4.0
> > member to an AD domain without creating the account first.
> >
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 2:59:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

In news:uuywyvkTEHA.3660@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Michael Giorgio - MS MVP <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> posted a
question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Also I was looking for a reference to back your statement:
>
> "To add an NT4 Client to an Active Directory Domain you have to first
> manually create the NT4 account in ADUC, then select the Allow
> pre-Windows
> 2000 computers to use this account check box."
>
> I am honestly not trying to be a PITA I would like to clarify
> because I wasn't aware of this.
>
>
> "Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> news:urdCrckTEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> In news:o DlqFCWTEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Michael Giorgio - MS MVP <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com>
>> posted a question
>> Then Kevin replied below:
>>> Hi Kevin,
>>> The article you posted doesn't support your statement. Perhaps
>>> you posted the wrong one? AFAIK You can certainly add an NT 4.0
>>> member to an AD domain without creating the account first.

IT has been a while since I had to add an NT4 client to a Win2k domain
unlike Win2k clients from an NT4 client you don't have a way to join it to a
domain from the Workstation. In NT4 this is done in server manager, which of
course Win2k does not have.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
--
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
==========================================
Use Outlook Express?... Get OE_Quotefix:
It will strip signature out and more
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
==========================================
Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
OEBackup:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx
==========================================
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 5:25:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

Hi Kevin,

"Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> Michael Giorgio - MS MVP <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> posted
a
> question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Also I was looking for a reference to back your statement:
> >
> > "To add an NT4 Client to an Active Directory Domain you have to
first
> > manually create the NT4 account in ADUC, then select the Allow
> > pre-Windows
> > 2000 computers to use this account check box."
> >
> > I am honestly not trying to be a PITA I would like to clarify
> > because I wasn't aware of this.
> >
> >
> > "Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
> > news:urdCrckTEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> In news:o DlqFCWTEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> >> Michael Giorgio - MS MVP <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com>
> >> posted a question
> >> Then Kevin replied below:
> >>> Hi Kevin,
> >>> The article you posted doesn't support your statement. Perhaps
> >>> you posted the wrong one? AFAIK You can certainly add an NT 4.0
> >>> member to an AD domain without creating the account first.
>
> IT has been a while since I had to add an NT4 client to a Win2k domain
> unlike Win2k clients from an NT4 client you don't have a way to join
it to a
> domain from the Workstation. In NT4 this is done in server manager,
which of
> course Win2k does not have.
>

But there is a W2k version of server manager. In order to join an NT
4.0
BDC to a W2k mixed mode domain you have to create the comptuer
account using the W2k version of server managaer on the W2k DC. I
wasn't aware an NT 4.0 machine couldn't join without first creating a
computer account as well?
!