Any Free and Decent Benchmark Programs?

I am building a system and would like to benchmark it to make sure it
is functioning okay.

I understand the work put into creating benchmark programs and the
need for the developers to be paid. If I were a hardware reviewer who
constantly had a need to use a benchmark program in the review of
products, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one.

However to use the program once in order to test my system and then
never use it again would be a waste of money. So, is there any free
benchmarking programs that are popular and used by the masses and
perhaps a website associated with it so I can compare my results with
other people who have used the program? Thanks.

"BackinTime" <me@privacy.net> wrote...

Sandra. http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/

BackinTime wrote:
> I am building a system and would like to benchmark it to make sure it
> is functioning okay.
>
> I understand the work put into creating benchmark programs and the
> need for the developers to be paid. If I were a hardware reviewer who
> constantly had a need to use a benchmark program in the review of
> products, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one.
>
> However to use the program once in order to test my system and then
> never use it again would be a waste of money. So, is there any free
> benchmarking programs that are popular and used by the masses and
> perhaps a website associated with it so I can compare my results with
> other people who have used the program? Thanks.

You can download and use this one free for 30 days. I use it and find it
very helpful. You need to buy it if you want the full set of other people's
benchmarks, but it is cheap and you can then run it occasionally to check
that everything is working correctly.

http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

John.

On Sat, 21 May 2005 09:26:56 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants "Bioboffin"
<Reply_to_Group_please@zzz.invalid> wrote :

>BackinTime wrote:
>> I am building a system and would like to benchmark it to make sure it
>> is functioning okay.
>>
>> I understand the work put into creating benchmark programs and the
>> need for the developers to be paid. If I were a hardware reviewer who
>> constantly had a need to use a benchmark program in the review of
>> products, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one.
>>
>> However to use the program once in order to test my system and then
>> never use it again would be a waste of money. So, is there any free
>> benchmarking programs that are popular and used by the masses and
>> perhaps a website associated with it so I can compare my results with
>> other people who have used the program? Thanks.
>
>You can download and use this one free for 30 days. I use it and find it
>very helpful. You need to buy it if you want the full set of other people's
>benchmarks, but it is cheap and you can then run it occasionally to check
>that everything is working correctly.
>
>http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm
>
>John.

And fresh diagnose,