CDs play, MP3s don't?

A friend of mine has a computer where he can listen to CDs through the
(analog) interface to the sound card, but MP3s won't play. IIRC, he's
using Windows 98. I've never seen a computer that could play CDs but
couldn't play audio files from the hard drive. Any ideas how to get
audio files to play?

(Unfortunately it's been a few months since I saw this, so I may not
be describing it very well.)

--
S. Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce)

Free science fiction, pretty models, and more:
http://www.just-stuart.com/

You say it won't play MP3s from the H.D..
What software is being used to play them with?

fisher

On Tue, 24 May 2005 03:10:28 GMT, S. Whitmore
<usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote:

>A friend of mine has a computer where he can listen to CDs through the
>(analog) interface to the sound card, but MP3s won't play. IIRC, he's
>using Windows 98. I've never seen a computer that could play CDs but
>couldn't play audio files from the hard drive. Any ideas how to get
>audio files to play?
>
>(Unfortunately it's been a few months since I saw this, so I may not
>be describing it very well.)

Install Winamp and then see what happens when he tries to play the
mp3's with that. www.winamp.com

Dan_Flory wrote:
> You say it won't play MP3s from the H.D..
> What software is being used to play them with?

And is he trying to use the analog headphone jack at the front of the
cdrom to listen to them? If so, that won't work.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

In article <re6591955o6tpulekmmur28b529hlcen64@4ax.com>, S. Whitmore
says...
> A friend of mine has a computer where he can listen to CDs through the
> (analog) interface to the sound card, but MP3s won't play. IIRC, he's
> using Windows 98. I've never seen a computer that could play CDs but
> couldn't play audio files from the hard drive. Any ideas how to get
> audio files to play?

Has he got MP3 playback support installed? Remember, MP3 wasn't around
when Win98 first came out and MS only added support in later versions
of WMP. No CODEC, no playback.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Does he have an MP3 software player installed on the computer? Win 98 does
NOT include one that I'm aware of.

--
DaveW

"S. Whitmore" <usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote in message
>A friend of mine has a computer where he can listen to CDs through the
> (analog) interface to the sound card, but MP3s won't play. IIRC, he's
> using Windows 98. I've never seen a computer that could play CDs but
> couldn't play audio files from the hard drive. Any ideas how to get
> audio files to play?
>
> (Unfortunately it's been a few months since I saw this, so I may not
> be describing it very well.)
>
> --
> S. Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce)
>
> Free science fiction, pretty models, and more:
> http://www.just-stuart.com/

On Tue, 24 May 2005 03:10:28 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants S. Whitmore
<usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote :

>A friend of mine has a computer where he can listen to CDs through the
>(analog) interface to the sound card, but MP3s won't play. IIRC, he's
>using Windows 98. I've never seen a computer that could play CDs but
>couldn't play audio files from the hard drive. Any ideas how to get
>audio files to play?
>
>(Unfortunately it's been a few months since I saw this, so I may not
>be describing it very well.)

Remove and let windows re-install the sound card drivers and or update
them.
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,

On Tue, 24 May 2005 12:57:47 +0800, spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>And is he trying to use the analog headphone jack at the front of the
>cdrom to listen to them? If so, that won't work.

No, I meant the analog connection between the CD-ROM drive and the
sound card (inside the case).

--
S. Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce)

Lacking inspiration? Need photo ideas? Once a week,
the Weekly Photo Muse: http://weeklypixmuse.blogspot.com/

Howdy!

> On Tue, 24 May 2005 12:57:47 +0800, spodosaurus
> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>
> >And is he trying to use the analog headphone jack at the front of the
> >cdrom to listen to them? If so, that won't work.
>
> No, I meant the analog connection between the CD-ROM drive and the
> sound card (inside the case).

Well, since the MP3s aren't analog audio, that won't work either.

He'll need a program (my choice is WinAMP, but there are bunchteen
of them) to play the MP3s.

RwP

On 23 May 2005 21:34:26 -0700, "Dan_Flory" <danflory@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>You say it won't play MP3s from the H.D..
>What software is being used to play them with?

I think it was Windows Media Player. I appreciate the input I've had
in this thread. What I really need to do is go back and look at it
again, and make sure that the drivers are up to date (I'm pretty sure
they were) and that WMP is also up to date (again, I'm pretty sure it
was also updated). If I get more specific info, I'll post a