Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CDs play, MP3s don't?

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2005 7:10:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

A friend of mine has a computer where he can listen to CDs through the
(analog) interface to the sound card, but MP3s won't play. IIRC, he's
using Windows 98. I've never seen a computer that could play CDs but
couldn't play audio files from the hard drive. Any ideas how to get
audio files to play?

(Unfortunately it's been a few months since I saw this, so I may not
be describing it very well.)

--
S. Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce)

Free science fiction, pretty models, and more:
http://www.just-stuart.com/

More about : cds play mp3s

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2005 7:10:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

You say it won't play MP3s from the H.D..
What software is being used to play them with?
May 24, 2005 7:10:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 03:10:28 GMT, S. Whitmore
<usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote:

>A friend of mine has a computer where he can listen to CDs through the
>(analog) interface to the sound card, but MP3s won't play. IIRC, he's
>using Windows 98. I've never seen a computer that could play CDs but
>couldn't play audio files from the hard drive. Any ideas how to get
>audio files to play?
>
>(Unfortunately it's been a few months since I saw this, so I may not
>be describing it very well.)

Install Winamp and then see what happens when he tries to play the
mp3's with that. www.winamp.com
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2005 4:57:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Dan_Flory wrote:
> You say it won't play MP3s from the H.D..
> What software is being used to play them with?
>

And is he trying to use the analog headphone jack at the front of the
cdrom to listen to them? If so, that won't work.

--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2005 6:23:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <re6591955o6tpulekmmur28b529hlcen64@4ax.com>, S. Whitmore
says...
> A friend of mine has a computer where he can listen to CDs through the
> (analog) interface to the sound card, but MP3s won't play. IIRC, he's
> using Windows 98. I've never seen a computer that could play CDs but
> couldn't play audio files from the hard drive. Any ideas how to get
> audio files to play?
>
Has he got MP3 playback support installed? Remember, MP3 wasn't around
when Win98 first came out and MS only added support in later versions
of WMP. No CODEC, no playback.


--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2005 8:14:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Does he have an MP3 software player installed on the computer? Win 98 does
NOT include one that I'm aware of.

--
DaveW



"S. Whitmore" <usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote in message
news:re6591955o6tpulekmmur28b529hlcen64@4ax.com...
>A friend of mine has a computer where he can listen to CDs through the
> (analog) interface to the sound card, but MP3s won't play. IIRC, he's
> using Windows 98. I've never seen a computer that could play CDs but
> couldn't play audio files from the hard drive. Any ideas how to get
> audio files to play?
>
> (Unfortunately it's been a few months since I saw this, so I may not
> be describing it very well.)
>
> --
> S. Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce)
>
> Free science fiction, pretty models, and more:
> http://www.just-stuart.com/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2005 11:19:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 03:10:28 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants S. Whitmore
<usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote :

>A friend of mine has a computer where he can listen to CDs through the
>(analog) interface to the sound card, but MP3s won't play. IIRC, he's
>using Windows 98. I've never seen a computer that could play CDs but
>couldn't play audio files from the hard drive. Any ideas how to get
>audio files to play?
>
>(Unfortunately it's been a few months since I saw this, so I may not
>be describing it very well.)

Remove and let windows re-install the sound card drivers and or update
them.
HTH :) 



--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2005 2:49:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 12:57:47 +0800, spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>And is he trying to use the analog headphone jack at the front of the
>cdrom to listen to them? If so, that won't work.

No, I meant the analog connection between the CD-ROM drive and the
sound card (inside the case).

--
S. Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce)

Lacking inspiration? Need photo ideas? Once a week,
the Weekly Photo Muse: http://weeklypixmuse.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2005 2:49:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Howdy!

"S. Whitmore" <usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote in message
news:D kb791hsu2lbkkpapm9oe10i3p3dfqrt5d@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 12:57:47 +0800, spodosaurus
> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>
> >And is he trying to use the analog headphone jack at the front of the
> >cdrom to listen to them? If so, that won't work.
>
> No, I meant the analog connection between the CD-ROM drive and the
> sound card (inside the case).

Well, since the MP3s aren't analog audio, that won't work either.

He'll need a program (my choice is WinAMP, but there are bunchteen
of them) to play the MP3s.

RwP
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2005 2:51:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On 23 May 2005 21:34:26 -0700, "Dan_Flory" <danflory@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>You say it won't play MP3s from the H.D..
>What software is being used to play them with?

I think it was Windows Media Player. I appreciate the input I've had
in this thread. What I really need to do is go back and look at it
again, and make sure that the drivers are up to date (I'm pretty sure
they were) and that WMP is also up to date (again, I'm pretty sure it
was also updated). If I get more specific info, I'll post a
follow-up.

--
S. Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce)

A Videographer's Playground -- The Video Liberty Project:
http://www.videoliberty.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2005 5:14:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 22:51:00 GMT If I have seen farther it is because
I have stood on the shoulder of giants S. Whitmore
<usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote :

>On 23 May 2005 21:34:26 -0700, "Dan_Flory" <danflory@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>You say it won't play MP3s from the H.D..
>>What software is being used to play them with?
>
>I think it was Windows Media Player. I appreciate the input I've had
>in this thread. What I really need to do is go back and look at it
>again, and make sure that the drivers are up to date (I'm pretty sure
>they were) and that WMP is also up to date (again, I'm pretty sure it
>was also updated). If I get more specific info, I'll post a
>follow-up.

Does it play them but no sound or just not start them?



--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2005 6:19:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:19:46 -0500, "Ralph W. Phillips"
<ralphp@techie.com> wrote:

>> No, I meant the analog connection between the CD-ROM drive and the
>> sound card (inside the case).
>
> Well, since the MP3s aren't analog audio, that won't work either.

No... I'm not saying he was trying to play MP3s through the CD analog
interface to the sound card, I was just pointing out that when he
plays CDs through that interface, the audio is heard through the
attached speakers just fine, but when he attempts to play MP3s using
software for that purpose, no audio is heard.

He does have something (software-wise) installed for playing MP3s, I'm
quite sure I would have figured out the problem at the time if it was
simply a matter of the audio files not being recognized by any
installed software, but I need to go back to see exactly what he's
using again. I'm don't recall if WAV files work; my vague memory of
looking at it several months ago was that *no* audio files would play.
But I'm not sure of that now.

--
S. Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce)

Free photos and more: http://www.just-stuart.com/
Fun stuff for homebrewers: http://www.cafepress.com/delicious_cycle
May 25, 2005 6:19:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

you have output set to digital audio only?

"S. Whitmore" <usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com> wrote in message
news:epn791119quoeij44u5d1ih99qo6tr9rbs@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:19:46 -0500, "Ralph W. Phillips"
> <ralphp@techie.com> wrote:
>
>>> No, I meant the analog connection between the CD-ROM drive and the
>>> sound card (inside the case).
>>
>> Well, since the MP3s aren't analog audio, that won't work either.
>
> No... I'm not saying he was trying to play MP3s through the CD analog
> interface to the sound card, I was just pointing out that when he
> plays CDs through that interface, the audio is heard through the
> attached speakers just fine, but when he attempts to play MP3s using
> software for that purpose, no audio is heard.
>
> He does have something (software-wise) installed for playing MP3s, I'm
> quite sure I would have figured out the problem at the time if it was
> simply a matter of the audio files not being recognized by any
> installed software, but I need to go back to see exactly what he's
> using again. I'm don't recall if WAV files work; my vague memory of
> looking at it several months ago was that *no* audio files would play.
> But I'm not sure of that now.
>
> --
> S. Whitmore (usenet-bounce@just-stuart.com w/o -bounce)
>
> Free photos and more: http://www.just-stuart.com/
> Fun stuff for homebrewers: http://www.cafepress.com/delicious_cycle
!