Can't add XP client to domain

mark

I stumbled into this problem last night when trying to help someone out.
They had one NT4 PDC with one Win2K client as a member of the domain. They
also had 5 NT4 workstations that were set up on a workgroup. Their plan was
to upgrade all of their client pcs to WinXP and join the domain. After
performing the client upgrades, they were unable to join any of the pcs to
the domain. So in a panic this person renamed the domain without giving it
a second thought.

When I got there to try to help out, there was connectivity between all
computers and server only by IP address - no name resolution. The thing is,
I don't know how it was setup in the first place when it was working. I
added DNS and WINS to the server with no luck. I am in no way a DNS/WINS
expert, however. Win2k/2003 sets it up automatically, is there anything you
must do manually in NT?

Any tricks on adding an XP client to an NT domain?

The trick is to disable a local security policy which by
default encrypts the secure channel data. Domain
member secure channel encryption is the policy you
want to disable.

"Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I stumbled into this problem last night when trying to help someone
out.
> They had one NT4 PDC with one Win2K client as a member of the domain.
They
> also had 5 NT4 workstations that were set up on a workgroup. Their
plan was
> to upgrade all of their client pcs to WinXP and join the domain.
After
> performing the client upgrades, they were unable to join any of the
pcs to
> the domain. So in a panic this person renamed the domain without
giving it
> a second thought.
>
> When I got there to try to help out, there was connectivity between
all
> computers and server only by IP address - no name resolution. The
thing is,
> I don't know how it was setup in the first place when it was working.
> added DNS and WINS to the server with no luck. I am in no way a
DNS/WINS
> expert, however. Win2k/2003 sets it up automatically, is there
anything you
> must do manually in NT?
>
> Any tricks on adding an XP client to an NT domain?

mark

Is this on the client or server?

Thanks!

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:OF0$bVWTEHA.2464@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The trick is to disable a local security policy which by
> default encrypts the secure channel data. Domain
> member secure channel encryption is the policy you
> want to disable.
>
> "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I stumbled into this problem last night when trying to help someone
> out.
> > They had one NT4 PDC with one Win2K client as a member of the domain.
> They
> > also had 5 NT4 workstations that were set up on a workgroup. Their
> plan was
> > to upgrade all of their client pcs to WinXP and join the domain.
> After
> > performing the client upgrades, they were unable to join any of the
> pcs to
> > the domain. So in a panic this person renamed the domain without
> giving it
> > a second thought.
> >
> > When I got there to try to help out, there was connectivity between
> all
> > computers and server only by IP address - no name resolution. The
> thing is,
> > I don't know how it was setup in the first place when it was working.
> > added DNS and WINS to the server with no luck. I am in no way a
> DNS/WINS
> > expert, however. Win2k/2003 sets it up automatically, is there
> anything you
> > must do manually in NT?
> >
> > Any tricks on adding an XP client to an NT domain?

The XP client machine.

"Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is this on the client or server?

mark

Unfortunately, that didn't work. I have added an lmhosts file and can ping
the dc by name, but it still tells me that a domain controller for my domain
could not be contacted when I attempt to add the client to the domain.

Any other ideas?

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:uNqOu1WTEHA.3140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> The XP client machine.
>
> "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Is this on the client or server?

Post your lmhosts file you can mask the names and tcp/ip addresses.

"Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Unfortunately, that didn't work. I have added an lmhosts file and can
ping
> the dc by name, but it still tells me that a domain controller for my
domain
> could not be contacted when I attempt to add the client to the domain.
>
> Any other ideas?

mark

message news:%23Ek4c$XTEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Post your lmhosts file you can mask the names and tcp/ip addresses.
>
> "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Unfortunately, that didn't work. I have added an lmhosts file and can
> ping
> > the dc by name, but it still tells me that a domain controller for my
> domain
> > could not be contacted when I attempt to add the client to the domain.
> >
> > Any other ideas?

begin 666 lmhosts.dat
M,3(W+C N,"XQ(" @(" @(&QO8V%L:&]S= T*#0HQ,"XP+C N,B @(%-64C Q
M("-04D4@(T1/33I$3TU!24X-"C$P+C N,"XR(" @(D1/34%)3B @(" @(" @
0(%PP>#%B(B @("-04D4-"@``
`
end

mark

Oops.
Here it is:
127.0.0.1 localhost

10.0.0.2 SVR01 #PRE #DOM:DOMAIN
10.0.0.2 "DOMAIN \0x1b" #PRE

> Thanks!
>
> "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
> message news:%23Ek4c$XTEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Post your lmhosts file you can mask the names and tcp/ip addresses.
> >
> > "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Unfortunately, that didn't work. I have added an lmhosts file and can
> > ping
> > > the dc by name, but it still tells me that a domain controller for my
> > domain
> > > could not be contacted when I attempt to add the client to the domain.
> > >
> > > Any other ideas?

Please have alook at the following articles,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314366

===

Sandeep KT

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

===

Remove the .dat extension from the lmhosts file and make
sure you have lmhost lookup enabled in the tcp/ip properties/
WINS tab. Once the file is saved in the correct directory with
the correct extension open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -R
to purge and reload the cache. Next attempt to join the domain.

"Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks!

mark

Yes, unfortunately, I've followed all of the instructions found at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q180/0/94.ASP&NoWebContent=1
and still haven't had any luck. Everything looks good after running
nbtstat -R....

"Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
message news:uIL%23dsYTEHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Remove the .dat extension from the lmhosts file and make
> sure you have lmhost lookup enabled in the tcp/ip properties/
> WINS tab. Once the file is saved in the correct directory with
> the correct extension open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -R
> to purge and reload the cache. Next attempt to join the domain.
>
> "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks!

Make sure you are not running any personal firewalls on the
problem machine.