Can't add XP client to domain

I stumbled into this problem last night when trying to help someone out.
They had one NT4 PDC with one Win2K client as a member of the domain. They
also had 5 NT4 workstations that were set up on a workgroup. Their plan was
to upgrade all of their client pcs to WinXP and join the domain. After
performing the client upgrades, they were unable to join any of the pcs to
the domain. So in a panic this person renamed the domain without giving it
a second thought.

When I got there to try to help out, there was connectivity between all
computers and server only by IP address - no name resolution. The thing is,
I don't know how it was setup in the first place when it was working. I
added DNS and WINS to the server with no luck. I am in no way a DNS/WINS
expert, however. Win2k/2003 sets it up automatically, is there anything you
must do manually in NT?

Any tricks on adding an XP client to an NT domain?
11 answers Last reply
More about client domain

    The trick is to disable a local security policy which by
    default encrypts the secure channel data. Domain
    member secure channel encryption is the policy you
    want to disable.

    "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I stumbled into this problem last night when trying to help someone
    out.
    > They had one NT4 PDC with one Win2K client as a member of the domain.
    They
    > also had 5 NT4 workstations that were set up on a workgroup. Their
    plan was
    > to upgrade all of their client pcs to WinXP and join the domain.
    After
    > performing the client upgrades, they were unable to join any of the
    pcs to
    > the domain. So in a panic this person renamed the domain without
    giving it
    > a second thought.
    >
    > When I got there to try to help out, there was connectivity between
    all
    > computers and server only by IP address - no name resolution. The
    thing is,
    > I don't know how it was setup in the first place when it was working.
    > added DNS and WINS to the server with no luck. I am in no way a
    DNS/WINS
    > expert, however. Win2k/2003 sets it up automatically, is there
    anything you
    > must do manually in NT?
    >
    > Any tricks on adding an XP client to an NT domain?

    Is this on the client or server?

    Thanks!

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:OF0$bVWTEHA.2464@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > The trick is to disable a local security policy which by
    > default encrypts the secure channel data. Domain
    > member secure channel encryption is the policy you
    > want to disable.
    >
    > "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I stumbled into this problem last night when trying to help someone
    > out.
    > > They had one NT4 PDC with one Win2K client as a member of the domain.
    > They
    > > also had 5 NT4 workstations that were set up on a workgroup. Their
    > plan was
    > > to upgrade all of their client pcs to WinXP and join the domain.
    > After
    > > performing the client upgrades, they were unable to join any of the
    > pcs to
    > > the domain. So in a panic this person renamed the domain without
    > giving it
    > > a second thought.
    > >
    > > When I got there to try to help out, there was connectivity between
    > all
    > > computers and server only by IP address - no name resolution. The
    > thing is,
    > > I don't know how it was setup in the first place when it was working.
    > > added DNS and WINS to the server with no luck. I am in no way a
    > DNS/WINS
    > > expert, however. Win2k/2003 sets it up automatically, is there
    > anything you
    > > must do manually in NT?
    > >
    > > Any tricks on adding an XP client to an NT domain?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    The XP client machine.

    "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is this on the client or server?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Unfortunately, that didn't work. I have added an lmhosts file and can ping
    the dc by name, but it still tells me that a domain controller for my domain
    could not be contacted when I attempt to add the client to the domain.

    Any other ideas?

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:uNqOu1WTEHA.3140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > The XP client machine.
    >
    > "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Is this on the client or server?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Post your lmhosts file you can mask the names and tcp/ip addresses.

    "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Unfortunately, that didn't work. I have added an lmhosts file and can
    ping
    > the dc by name, but it still tells me that a domain controller for my
    domain
    > could not be contacted when I attempt to add the client to the domain.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    message news:%23Ek4c$XTEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Post your lmhosts file you can mask the names and tcp/ip addresses.
    >
    > "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Unfortunately, that didn't work. I have added an lmhosts file and can
    > ping
    > > the dc by name, but it still tells me that a domain controller for my
    > domain
    > > could not be contacted when I attempt to add the client to the domain.
    > >
    > > Any other ideas?

    begin 666 lmhosts.dat
    M,3(W+C N,"XQ(" @(" @(&QO8V%L:&]S= T*#0HQ,"XP+C N,B @(%-64C Q
    M("-04D4@(T1/33I$3TU!24X-"C$P+C N,"XR(" @(D1/34%)3B @(" @(" @
    0(%PP>#%B(B @("-04D4-"@``
    `
    end
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Oops.
    Here it is:
    127.0.0.1 localhost

    10.0.0.2 SVR01 #PRE #DOM:DOMAIN
    10.0.0.2 "DOMAIN \0x1b" #PRE

    > Thanks!
    >
    > "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    > message news:%23Ek4c$XTEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > Post your lmhosts file you can mask the names and tcp/ip addresses.
    > >
    > > "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Unfortunately, that didn't work. I have added an lmhosts file and can
    > > ping
    > > > the dc by name, but it still tells me that a domain controller for my
    > > domain
    > > > could not be contacted when I attempt to add the client to the domain.
    > > >
    > > > Any other ideas?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Please have alook at the following articles,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314366

    ===

    Sandeep KT

    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    ===
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Remove the .dat extension from the lmhosts file and make
    sure you have lmhost lookup enabled in the tcp/ip properties/
    WINS tab. Once the file is saved in the correct directory with
    the correct extension open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -R
    to purge and reload the cache. Next attempt to join the domain.

    "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks!

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Yes, unfortunately, I've followed all of the instructions found at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q180/0/94.ASP&NoWebContent=1
    and still haven't had any luck. Everything looks good after running
    nbtstat -R....

    "Michael Giorgio - MS MVP" <Michael.Giorgio@NoSpam.mayerson.com> wrote in
    message news:uIL%23dsYTEHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Remove the .dat extension from the lmhosts file and make
    > sure you have lmhost lookup enabled in the tcp/ip properties/
    > WINS tab. Once the file is saved in the correct directory with
    > the correct extension open a dos prompt and run nbtstat -R
    > to purge and reload the cache. Next attempt to join the domain.
    >
    > "Mark" <jonesy_10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks!

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain (More info?)

    Make sure you are not running any personal firewalls on the
    problem machine.

    > Yes, unfortunately, I've followed all of the instructions found at

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q180/0/94.ASP&NoWebContent=1
    > and still haven't had any luck. Everything looks good after running
    > nbtstat -R....

Domain Microsoft Windows XP Windows