hd smaller than what it should be

If you have a 30 gigabyte hard drive and windows only recognize 2.6 gigs,
what does this mean? How can I fix this?

Lex
2 answers Last reply
More about smaller

    What version of Windows do you have?

    > If you have a 30 gigabyte hard drive and windows only recognize 2.6 gigs,
    > what does this mean? How can I fix this?

    Might mean that your hard drive has a 2.6 gig FAT or NTFS
    partition on it (you don't say what type of Windows you're using),
    and the rest is unallocated space or space that has been used by
    some type of partition Windows won't see.

    Might possibly mean that you've got a really, really old BIOS, but
    if your computer is newer than about seven or eight years old,
    this should not be the problem.

    I suggest you download the disk preparation floppy that comes with
    new hard drives, from the site of whichever drive maker
    manufactured your hard drive, and turn it into a boot floppy, boot
    from it, then prepare your hard drive as though you were first
    installing it.

    Another option is to run Partition Magic and see what your hard
    drive looks like. It will give you a graphic display of your
    partitions and unallocated space, and show any problems that might
    be making space useless.

Homebuilt Hardware HD Gigabyte Hard Drives Systems